Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the politics of having certain species added to keepers lists, however I have fallen head over heals with Kimberley Rock Monitors but alas, they are not available to keep in Victoria.

So, my question is.... what is the process to have any given species added. I'm assuming it is highly difficult, near on impossible to do... but if anyone has any information they can provide, I'd be eternally grateful.

TIA :)

So there's absolutely no process to lobby for them to be added to the keepers list in Victoria?

Also, I moved here from Queensland 2 and a half years ago, not planning a move again anytime soon!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a bit of a shame, they seem like awesome monitors. Can you keep things like Kingorum or other rock monitors in Vic, because maybe they could be your closest bet.

I've been researching ALL THE MONITORS and they are what I want.

Seems as though that won't be happening though. [emoji20]

If it's your first monitor, you're better off starting with a Gillens or Accies, even tristis imo. All these are pretty hardy captives and available to keep in Vic. Some tristis look better than kimbo's anyway:). I think they're over rated, jmo.

Yeah, I know they're at crocosaurus cove and I think a couple of people have them apart from that, otherwise I guess the only others are in illegal hands. They have quite a range apparently but the only times I have heard of reports of them are in the Kimberley. Are there many records from the NT and Mt Isa?

I always wondered how reptiles such as Kimberly Rock Monitors, Pilbara Rock Monitors, and other species that are endemic to Western Australia end up in other states when we ourselves cannot collect or keep them. Is it possible for outside states to get permits to collect in WA?

If you ever get up that way, you'll find both at Kelly's Knob and Hidden Valley (Mirima National Park) over a Wet season. Such impressive animals, the Glebopalma:). Preferred habitat (from google).
Hidden_Valley_National_Park.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I always wondered how reptiles such as Kimberly Rock Monitors, Pilbara Rock Monitors, and other species that are endemic to Western Australia end up in other states when we ourselves cannot collect or keep them. Is it possible for outside states to get permits to collect in WA?

I believe they're legal in every other State but Vic/ Tas. They are exported from breeders in WA, with a fee attached. What about breeding Pilb's overseas (America, UK and Europe, to name a few),crossing Kims with Pilbs....?

I believe they're legal in every other State but Vic/ Tas. They are exported from breeders in WA, with a fee attached. What about breeding Pilb's overseas (America, UK and Europe, to name a few),crossing Kims with Pilbs....?

Both species mentioned are not on the West Australian keeping list.

EDIT: I never knew that they could interbreed. Very strange.

Last edited:
If they can breed Womas and Ball pythons I'm not surprised that those yanks can breed pilbs and kimbos. Who would ruin perfectly good monitors anyways?

A Yankee herp acquaintance once told me that it's virtually impossible to get a pure carpet over there; they are all jungle or coastal crosses. I think there's one guy who breeds pure bredli's, but that's all.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're allowed to keep them in Victoria, get a tristis orientalis. Absolutely stunning small monitor, IMO.

Yeah, though I like the Pilbara Tristis (or Perth ones if you find any!) but really Tristis, Acanthurus, Gilleni, Gouldii, Panoptes or Spenceri are all fairly decent starter monitors

If it's your first monitor, you're better off starting with a Gillens or Accies, even tristis imo. All these are pretty hardy captives and available to keep in Vic. Some tristis look better than kimbo's anyway:). I think they're over rated, jmo.

If you're allowed to keep them in Victoria, get a tristis orientalis. Absolutely stunning small monitor, IMO.

The Tristis Orientalis are probably next on my list. I'm a little partial to a monitor with a thin/sleek face and body. So I may look further into these if no one has any suggestions on how to lobby for them.

I think you're at their mercy, as suggested above, although I remember reading somewhere that the VHS was lobbying the authorities.

Both species mentioned are not on the West Australian keeping list.

EDIT: I never knew that they could interbreed. Very strange.

Apologies for the bum steer:) SA used to breed the Kimbo's (Reptile City) and there's def some in NSW/ QLD, just haven't heard much for a long time.

I can't get Rosenbergs into Vic, despie them being native there. I thought anyone with a demonstrator's Licence could get them on the Shedule, but it seems No. To quote a well know Vic based Wildlife demo company:Nah they're not, we have to apply for off schedule species on a case by case basis, and they're off schedule. Everyone that I know that's applied for them has been knocked back. I believe Kimmies are off schedule also.

Last edited:
[MENTION=41911]imported-varanus[/MENTION] I'm especially spewing about the lack of Rosenbergs on the schedule after seeing your latest batch. How often does is the Vic schedule updated, does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back