Found a tiny little beardy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan

Reaction score
Hi All, I need some help. I found a tiny little dragon completely exposed to the frost in my backyard near my Stumpys outdoor enclosure. He's no more than 10cm from nose to tail. he was in pretty bad shape. I've brought him inside and he's picked up a bit but I'm not sure what to offer him to eat. He's so tiny! My stumpys are like garbage disposals and will just about eat anything you put in front of them. I'm really worried about this little guy. I've offered really tiny pieces of chopped veg and fruit. I don't think he could eat any of the bugs that are around because they're too big for his little mouth. I'm really hoping I can keep him going until the weather improves and get him back outside. Either that,or I need someone with experience with this kind of reptile who would be willing to take him on. I'm in Central Vic/Wimmera region and can't seem to find any rescues who take reptiles? Hoping you folks might have some answers.:(

Sounds like a jacky dragon - he should be fine, just let him go. It's illegal to keep wild-caught animals anyway.

I would not be releasing it back the wild before the warmer weather is here, to do so is a death sentence IMO.

My understanding is it's OK to hold wild reptile temporarily while helping it recover from an injury, illness or to build it up a bit (to improve it's condition and increase it's chances of surviving when released (very important to release them very close or at the same place they were "found".

This is particularly the case if there is no WIRES in your area , even if there is a WIRES group in your area, you are likely better equipped and more knowledgeable in the case of a little young JD than they will be.

I'd quaranteen it and hold onto it for a few weeks (until the cold weather has gone) and release it in the same place you found it then, this will give it a reprieve from the cold conditions (which could kill it if it doesn't die from starvation or be killed by local cat while it's too cold to move fast).

Small crickets or roaches are suitable feeders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back