Click clack and heat pad not warming up?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KierenTavener12

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So from advice you guys have me I got myself a secure clear container or click clack and a heat mat for my hatchling. I attached the heat mat to the thermostat and while its warming up. The containers max temp is 20deg c.Not sure if I should get a larger may or some heat cord? Or uses a small heat lamp as well over top?FYI: I don't at the moment have my snake I'm just prepping everything before hand.And ideas?Thinking bout it now could it be because it's a large container? My heat mats on small a 5w, while this is my container... https://www.bigw.com.au/product/starmaid-storage-container-20-l/p/WCC100000000245183/

Last edited:
I use a 7w in this enclosure gets hotspot temp to 33 I think maybe you have thermostat set wrong I don't use a thermostat just a timer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 196
Hmm I'll check when I finish work. I might have set it wrong, I'll re do everything and let sit for a few hours and see if it works. Last thing I want to do is buy a new mat or tub.

You should feel the heat mat warming within a minute or two if it's working - just plug it in and put your hand on it after a few minutes. Follow the user instructions VERY carefully, especially with regard to air circulation around them - used incorrectly heat mats can be bloody dangerous. NEVER place a heavy object on top of a heat mat under any circumstances, even a 5W mat can get hot enough to scorch a table and possibly start a fire. Not my favourite heat source.

Jamie

As Jamie said you need some ventilation use the rubber feet they come with I have never had a problem with a mat if used correctly.

This is my setup turns out the mat was faulty, and ended up shorting out.

Anyways I got a new cord and max temp is what's programs in the thermostat which is 33deg c. Just trialling it out, and currently she's working beautifully. Question I know you need a hot and cold side but my cold side literally drops to room Temperature which currently is 17deg c. Is this bad? Should I maybe add a little cord over and that side to bring the temp up a bit or? just leave it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 163
Nope, leave the cold side as it is, and provide hides in two or three different places in the container, the snake will find a place that suits it - sometimes they will go to surprising cold parts of the enclosure when it suits them. As long as it has access to heat if it needs it, it will be fine. Heat cords are definitely the way to go.

Jamie

Okay I have 2 hides I'll add another and leave it. I have a few branches so he can climb up and around as well. Was worried it would be too cold but makes sense if they are cold they would move around if needed.

Heat cords are a tick in my box.

Don't forget air holes in the sides, a small water bowl at the cool end and you might find that a piece of dowel set as a perch may be better than clogging the click clack with branches.

George.

Don't forget air holes in the sides, a small water bowl at the cool end and you might find that a piece of dowel set as a perch may be better than clogging the click clack with branches.

George.

Just make sure that the holes are not big enough for the snake to get its snout through - this is a common mistake and it can facilitate the snake trying to escape and pushing its nose through the holes, which can permanently damage/scar the skin/scales around the region where the snake's head broadens behind the eyes.

Jamie

[MENTION=42518]KierenTavener12[/MENTION], It looks like the heat cord is taking up around 2/3 of the tub which in my humble opinion is too much, I would be changing that to 1/3 or even 1/4 of floor area, It will be much easier keeping a temp gradient if the area of heat is smaller especially when using heat cord. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) -ronhalling

And two hides aren't necessary either. I honestly think you are over thinking it all. Keep It Simple (Stupid).

What snake are you getting anyhow?

I've adjusted it to 1/3 the pictures was While I was trialling it. Even then and currently my temps are hovering around 29-33.

While I might be overthinking it, I was advised above to add more hides. To give the hatchling somewhere to hide in where it wanted.

And its a Bredli I'm getting.

2 hides will be fine, also if you havnt got drill for holes 25w soldering iron makes a nice sized hole.

Last edited:
And two hides aren't necessary either. I honestly think you are over thinking it all. Keep It Simple (Stupid).

What snake are you getting anyhow?

That's an interesting assertion SKYWLKR, I would have thought at least a couple of choices with different floor temperatures might be useful. What's necessary and what's desirable may be two different things.

Jamie

That's an interesting assertion SKYWLKR, I would have thought at least a couple of choices with different floor temperatures might be useful. What's necessary and what's desirable may be two different things.

Jamie

In my experiences with especially enclosures (tubs) that size and height, I believe that one hide is adequate. However for larger enclosures, that opinion no longer counts.

Jamie

Ive found having been on here literally 24/7 that when it comes to setups everyone's got there own idea as to how. I've personally added 2 hides and 2 branches to perch on. After a couple of weeks if my little hasn't used any then I'll remove them. If it's anything like my birds cage the setup will change weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back