What to do with live fox?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingsReptiles

Reaction score
Hi i caught a European Red Fox (Vulpes Vulpes) barehanded alive in australia and i know they are an invasive pest but i dont have the heart to kill him so what should i do?

Find someone who will. I'm sorry if that sounds callous, but as you rightly said, they are an invasive pest.

depending on your location, some people do take them in to care for. If it is a young one you could look into that option.

I'm pretty sure they're breaking the law in caring for them.

Really your options are euthanise it, get a vet to euthanise it, find someone else too, release it where it'll continue to kill many others, or if you give it to someone to raise it'll eventually get euthanised when anyone in primary industries finds out. It'll be hard to keep a pet fox a secret, too.

Don't get me wrong, as animal lovers it's hard to see any animal pass away, pest or otherwise, as it isnt their fault they were dealt these cards. But unfortunately it will be hard to work around that fate.

Taking it to a vet to euthanise would probably be the nicest option on your conscience.

Sorry about your situation, it does suck. I had a similar moment of plight when I caught some wild mice... Took about a week and a few more mice encounters before I became the vegetarian exterminator sick to death of them.

Find the heart to kill it, or find someone who does. Just remember all the small animals that it has killed/will kill if you don't kill it. Easy peasy

The only good fox is a dead one.

Call the council ranger and have him collect it. The council will take it away and kill the vermin.

So instead of just being happy no one suggested such a thing, you attempt to make an issue instead?

[MENTION=27447]vampstorso[/MENTION] I think Smittiferous was being tongue in cheek. While foxes are pests, they are still living creatures that deserve to be put down humanely.

I'm interested to know how said fox has been contained. And caught for that matter. I've shot a few in my time and cunning buggers they are.

I'm interested to know how said fox has been contained. And caught for that matter. I've shot a few in my time and cunning buggers they are.

I was wondering the same thing. Foxes are cunning, fast little nutters. Perhaps it was caught in a trap? If it was caught in a trap there's no way you would be able to catch it bare handed without being bitten and scratched.

To the OP, don't release the fox, and have it put down immediately. They don't belong in Australia and they devastate the wildlife, not to mention they can be troublesome for farmers and their livestock. If you did catch it in a trap and you released it, you're never going to it catch again via the same method.

Last edited:
In some sates (or at least in VIC) you can obtain a permit which allows you to keep invasive species (the vic one cost $80). The only other legal and ethical option you have would be to euthanise it. I would say release would be technically legal but unethical in terms of environmental damage it will continue to do (Unfortunately they eat more than pesky rabbits).

- - - Updated - - -

Also [MENTION=41275]kingofnobbys[/MENTION] "the only good fox is a dead fox" be careful what you say buddy. There is a very simillar phrase used by snake haters and considering some people like fox's and have them as pets, it would contradictory to use that phrase. May I also remind you we have used the old "the only good dog is a dead dog" phrase to make a point to those snake haters....

I was wondering the same thing. Foxes are cunning, fast little nutters. Perhaps it was caught in a trap? If it was caught in a trap there's no way you would be able to catch it bare handed without being bitten and scratched.

I've had plenty of experiences with them.

From the ones that are 100m out and know you're around if the wind is the wrong way to one casually strolling past me 10m away to pinch some freshwater crays out of my open esky. At no time have I ever seen one in a frame of mind that it would leave itself open to capture without a fight, or in the least flight.

Also @kingofnobbys "the only good fox is a dead fox" be careful what you say buddy. There is a very simillar phrase used by snake haters and considering some people like fox's and have them as pets, it would contradictory to use that phrase. May I also remind you we have used the old "the only good dog is a dead dog" phrase to make a point to those snake haters....

As if I give a toss what they think...

[MENTION=40362]CrazyNut[/MENTION] so do you need that permit to keep a pet rabbit in Victoria? After all, they are an invasive pest too. And taste much better than fox. ;)

I don't know if you are in NSW, but if you are, Sydney fox rescue. They keep, and used to rehome foxes pre Dec 2014. Even if you aren't in nsw, get in contact with them, I'm sure they could help you out. I wouldn't have the heart to kill one either.

Fine if you want to be contradict yourself and look like a fool than fine. Not my decision. [MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] no but you might need one for annoying sarcasm.... That one applies world wide though.

ok wow alot of answers. I will try sydeney fox rescue and if not i will have to get vet to euthenize because i dont want it killing the native animals around here. It is a shame to see any animal die though. I caught him barehanded i was using the distressed rabbit sound that attracts foxes then i just came out behind a tree and it ran i chased it a bit it went into a den i followed it but he couldnt see then i grabbed him from the hollow log

ok wow alot of answers. I will try sydeney fox rescue and if not i will have to get vet to euthenize because i dont want it killing the native animals around here. It is a shame to see any animal die though. I caught him barehanded i was using the distressed rabbit sound that attracts foxes then i just came out behind a tree and it ran i chased it a bit it went into a den i followed it but he couldnt see then i grabbed him from the hollow log

You are in Swansea (NSW) , the council ranger will look after dealing with it. No cost to you.

https://www.lakemac.com.au/council/animals

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/as...-european-red-fox-pest-control-order-2014.pdf

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/537266/Pest-control-order-for-foxes-faq.pdf

If you are reported for holding a fox , it is apt to cost you $8500 in penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back