Terrarium without thermostat?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PerthHerper

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently setting up a stimson's python click clack and I was wondering if I could use the heat mat without a thermostat, by plugging the heat mat into a power outlet, and raising the click clack until it reaches a suitable temperature?

Cheers

If you're not using a thermostat, why not use a timer? Get one that has 15 minute increments, and play with the on/off variations. Half hour on, and fifteen minutes off is a good place to start.

But what I'm after is having nothing to regulate the heat, except the distance from the heat mat to the bottom of the terrarium.

Cheers

Well, yeah, that's doable I guess. I wouldn't think the distance would have to be too great either to get your desired temperature. Thermostat or timer would always be better in this circumstance though IMHO

You need to regulate heat to a click clack for a python. You can experiment with wattages and other variables once it is in a bigger enclosure, although in my experience you always need some form of regulation for the heat source for snakes.

Yeah, I'll be using other equipment, once the python is moved to a larger enclosure

You can get a cheap digital thermometer ($10-15) and play around with that.
Ive been able to maintain a steady temp of 30-35 degrees on my heat mat solely with the use of a thermometer and certain thickeness of substrate.

Yeah, I'll look around on eBay and gumtree, the ones at petstores are far more expensive.

You can get a cheap digital thermometer ($10-15) and play around with that.
Ive been able to maintain a steady temp of 30-35 degrees on my heat mat solely with the use of a thermometer and certain thickeness of substrate.

There are even cheaper digital thermometers on Ebay ... I recently bought a bunch of them for about $2 each .

Simple digital thermostats with probe can be had off Ebay for about $10 too, I've got all my heatmats controlled by them and have been using mine for over 6 years trouble free.

See PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back