Australian Native Gardens

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nero Egernia

Reaction score
Any Australian native gardeners on here? While I'm no "green thumb" I've always wanted to have a native garden that provides habitat to our native species, particularly for reptiles and amphibians. Any tips? Would also like to see everyone's native gardens as well. :)

While the thought of attracting native animals and birds to our new place sounds appealing, I don't want to lose the fruit and vegetables we'll be growing.

I hope you get some great posts from Gardeners on this thread.

Why not have a look at the WA botanic gardens and kings park websites to see if you can get some tips. Im not sure where you are but I saw that this weekend the friends of kings park is having their quarterly native plant sale http://www.friendso****gspark.com.au/whats-on/festivalplantsale/

At some point in the near-ish future (a few years) we would like to landscape our block so I will be looking for landscape gardeners who have local native plant knowledge and local native plant/garden groups to advise. Here's hoping. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so some of the letters in the link have been blocked but it is 'friends of kings park' without spaces then look at what's on.

I won't be able to make it to King's Park unfortunately. At the moment I'm currently working on a wine barrel pond, but then I found out that a nice fern I got wasn't even native. :facepalm:

If the weather ever gets vaguely nice I plan on going to the national park and photographing some plants, then taking the photos back to the local nursery to see if they currently have any plants in stock. That way I should be able to get the right natives.

20160916_145247_zpsfvpjzyjb.jpg

Grevillea, Callistemon , Dendrobium , Cymbidium, Stag horn Elk horn, Asplenium ferns, Eristomon(spelling),Sedge and reed grasses.Acacia,Banksia. Kangaroo Paws,prostanthera(native mint)
My tip is snoop around the neighbourhood into other peoples gardens to see what grows best and how it is situated. Approach the owners if you arent sure of the plants name.
Also for frogs -shallow saucer shaped ponds are best rather than deep ones. Place sedge and reeds in with rocks and logs for shelter. Depending where you are these may also attract snakes (but hey thats a good thing isn't it?) I prefer an unkempt undisturbed by man look -this is what animals prefer too rather than mowers and weedkiller.
At the nursery avoid anything labelled as "dwarf" especially trees because there's a good chance it will revert to its natural habit.
The pic is a Grevillea "firesprite" -Grevilleas are great because they are hardy ,come in every form from the mighty forest tree Silky Oak (avoid in gardens) to prostrate ground covers, an immense array of colour and bird attracting flowers,easy to prune which promotes flowering .
Hope that helps. If planting trees be aware of the size it will eventually reach and also underground pipes that it may interfere with .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back