Mites on garden snails and slugs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So, I found a massive slug in my garden the other day and retrieved it for Pinch, my pink tongue skink, only to discover a multitude of creatures running all over it. Was reminiscent of a horror scene.

https://vimeo.com/183452779

Threw it back in the garden and used the power of google to discover that the creatures were in fact mites.

I have now collected a bunch of snails from [MENTION=32194]Smittiferous[/MENTION]' garden and left them a week to make sure they haven't been poisoned, but have discovered they also have mites. Although I can only see one or two on them.

My question is, will they harm my reptile if I feed them to him? I've read they lead to worms but I was unable to determine if those worms can be transferred to other animals or if they just infect the snails and slugs themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone?

It's unlikely the critters will harm your lizard, many of these things are host-specific - they might move to other snails & slugs, but not to your reptile. The biggest problem in an urban garden would be pesticides.

Jamie

Thanks for the response.

I leave the snails over a week to make sure they haven't been hit with pesticides, also, I know that there are none used in the garden I collect them from.

I'll have to go on your word and assume they wont hurt him because it's all he'll eat... I'll make sure I wash them prior to offering them to him also.

Thanks again for your response!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back