Scales & Tails

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNut

Reaction score
Hi,
Ok just to start not sure if this shoukd be hefe or in chat so admins move if neccssary.

Ok so is anyone else really annoyed with S&T magazine publication? I have a one year subscrition and haven't received a magazine since May. I also haven't seen anything on their Facebook page either. Are they still publishing magazeins? Anyone know whats going on? You can PM if this is touchy issue.

Thanks
Kind regards
CN

Got a whole bunch of issues from previous years you can have while you wait for... ahem... um.... Junes issue. ;)

Got the entire collection of Reptiles Australasia too. Not that it's a big collection......

Last edited:
Got a whole bunch of issues from previous years you can have while you wait for... ahem... um.... Junes issue. ;)

Got the entire collection of Reptiles Australasia too. Not that it's a big collection......
Nah its all goods. Thanks for the offer though. You mean july not june (last issue was may).

I haven't seen an issue since may either. But I only just realised. Not terribly impressed with it tbh, won't be subscribing again, but that's another story for another thread.

I worked as editor for both these publications, and while the rise and demise of Reptiles Australasia (a magazine which had huge potential) is a bizarre story in itself, I know just how hard Joy K worked, 7 days a week, to keep Scales and Tails on time, interesting and readable. Punctual publication was always paramount, and we would both be on phone and computer simultaneously (we live 600kms apart), sometimes into the early hours of deadline day for printing, to ensure it was out on time. This was during the times when reptile enthusiasm was at frenzy levels, and interest was massive. Supportive activities like the Expos which the Kuligowskis organised also energised the reptile-keeping community, but they require a massive amount of work on many levels to organise.

I know nothing of the current management of Scales & Tails, but I'd guess that the reduced levels of interest in reptiles and related information we've seen over the past few years would make it both difficult to drum up readable articles and also to turn a profit with reduced subscription numbers.

Jamie

I know both the owners are very busy with university at the moment. I am sure if you contact them they will let you know when the next publication is due out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Steve is at uni. Didn't know Mahalia was. I don't see why just because they are at uni the rest of the S&T team can't come together to release a publication. Very annoying. Ut would have been alright if a notification was made but nithing was said and nothing was sent!

I am pretty sure it is just Steve and Mahalia that does the mag. I can understand your disappointment though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know, the magazine is in transition from printed form to digital. As Jamie said, the lack of interest and lack of subscriptions brought the magazine to its end and who knows what response the electronic version will get from the readers. There was no shortage of articles, in my opinion, the magazine's contents were top class but the hobby didn't support it enough to keep it going. As I see it, the majority of hobbyists have narrow focus on their "speciality" and little interest to widen their knowledge and interests in herpetology and herpetoculture. To put it simply, there are too many "pet owners" and not enough serious herpers. JMO

cheers
Michael

Hi everyone.

We're in the process of contacting all our current subscribers, and if we haven't got to you yet then we're sorry. We're in the process of diversifying and setting scales and tails up for the future. As a part of this, we will no longer be printing hard copies of the magazine. We are refunding any outstanding subscriptions and will continue to do so until they're all done which is expected to take a few months. We're working on a new website and smart app as our new distribution lines instead of the news agents and pet shops that we have been using and we'll be moving the magazine into a digital format. This will allow us to focus on more content such as podcasting and expos and it will be a fraction of the cost to you.

In terms of this discussion, my wife and I are both at uni full time. We have two kids in school and we're renovating our house and have been since before we brought the magazine. We've never made any money from Scales & Tails however we've put everything we've had into it over the last four years and this is a hobby to us. Printing the magazine is the only part that is not profitable and if we don't diversify now there's no future at all for scales and tails. We may not have contacted everyone yet but we've answered every email, private messages and phone calls we've received from our subscribers. My phone number and email address is displayed in the magazine and on the website so rather than commenting here you're welcome to contact us directly if you are in fact a subscriber.

We've got a great team who are waiting for us to move forward and we are doing the best we can.

Thank you
Steve & Mahalia

It's chicken and egg . The magazine had enough subscribers to be viable and then apparently lost them. Not producing copy on time would certainly contribute to that.I think the magazine should cater for their subscribers even if they are "pet owners" rather than aiming for herpetologists who don't seem to be able to support the magazine.

You're argument is based on incorrect assumptions and is invalid.

Thanks for clearing that up Steve. Some early warning in future would have be appreciated and certainly ease frustration.

It's chicken and egg . The magazine had enough subscribers to be viable and then apparently lost them. Not producing copy on time would certainly contribute to that.I think the magazine should cater for their subscribers even if they are "pet owners" rather than aiming for herpetologists who don't seem to be able to support the magazine.
My comment was in reference to post #9 in the absence of post #10 .

There has been a decline in quality in the magazine.

I own almost every copy of monitor, reptiles Australia, reptiles Australasia and scales and tails.

Just added that in so my opinion wouldn't be called "invalid".

I am surprised that you find the contents in decline. I also have all the mags you mentioned and I read each one of them from cover to cover. Althought I think the last issues on RA were the best of the lot, S&T was pretty good lately. Unfortunately, no magazine can please everyone with every issue.

Wokka, S&T DID cater for herpers and per owners, even for kids. But it's the pet owners who aren't interesting in anything but their pets and they're the ones that didn't subscribe. You're right in that herpetologists alone are not enough to support the mag.

cheers
Michael

There has been a decline in quality in the magazine.

I own almost every copy of monitor, reptiles Australia, reptiles Australasia and scales and tails.

Just added that in so my opinion wouldn't be called "invalid".

I have been a subscriber for the last 3 years, did not even notice that i haven't received a mag until reading this post, would have been good to be contacted.
Im not sure when my subscription was due to expire so i might send an email to check on it.
It will be a shame not to receive the printed copies but i will continue to support them with the online version.
I have always enjoyed reading all aspects of the mag, its not often i would skip any section.

Sadly it looks like I'll be collateral damage. I have every copy and had a standing order at the newsagency. Good mag, and I much prefer the printed option. Won't bother with the online version, though. I spend too much time in front of a PC screen already.

I supported the magazine from inception,I have every copy from #1 to the final #47 and was disappointed to learn of it's demise.
Even though I am mainly a dragon freak I do like to read about other reptiles

I'm going to miss that S&T mag. Don't have too many issues sadly. Oh well. All good thibgs come to end, as is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back