Heating/Lighting Setup Stimson's python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shegleg

Reaction score
Hi everyone, newbie here. I was just wondering if anyone could help me setting up a home for a Stimson's python. I am waiting for my reptile license to come through and I thought I'd use the next couple of weeks to buy all the supplies and setting everything up before I start looking for a snake. I am hoping to pick up a terrarium similar to this later this week (second hand off gumtree). Dimensions are 65cm x 45cm x 30cm. I am okay with acquiring the hiding spots for my new buddy, the substrate, the food, the water bowl and a basking branch/log.
The parts I am stuck on are the heating light and uv light. I would like to get something that automatically turns on and off and regulates the temperature. I also read it needs to be setup so the snake can't burn itself? How would I position the lamp in this type of tank? Also how many watts would the lamp need to be? If you could possibly link to where to buy the items you recommend that would be very helpful. Thank you in advance for your help.

Screen Shot 2016-10-10 at 9.46.03 PM.png

Hi and welcome to APS, and the world of reptile-keeping.
On here you will get the right advice, but I would recommend your first purchase is one or both of the following excellent books.
Keeping and Breeding Australian Pythons, by Mike Swan.
A Guide to Australian Pythons in Captivity, by Adam Elliott.
You will refer to these many times, and they will be worth the investment now.
First question is how old is the Stimson's you are getting? A hatchling or juvenile will benefit from being in a smaller size, such as a plastic tub or click clack, heated with a heat cord or heat mat.

hi, these enclosures can have issues with keeping humidity levels high enough due to amount of glass and mesh top allowing heat to escape, mine has been in a glass enclosure with heat mat only, for 6 yrs no issues but all but 3 sides are always fully covered including the top with blanket and her cool side is always around 22 with warm side 33 and she loves to bury through her kitty litter. Have never had any health issues and not required for a uv light. Good luck with your new purchase :) She is fully grown now at 1.2mtrs and around 1.3kgs with an 4ft enclosure.

[MENTION=38465]pinefamily[/MENTION] I will make sure I pick up the books, thank you! As this is my first snake I am hoping to get an adult so I can get one who is already okay with being handled and is a good feeder.
[MENTION=40916]onelife[/MENTION] Okay I live in Perth so it's pretty hot here in the summer anyway! But I can always add some insulation around the tank in winter if the heat won't stay in the tank. Okay sounds like a heat mat might be a good idea. What brand/type of heat mat do you use? Also, so there's no need for a UV light? My snake will benefit from sunlight anyway being in a well lit room.

I am sure the heat mats is just a "reptile one" heat mat which I sit under the glass on insulation and then have paper in enclosure with kitty litter on top again - that way if she wants more heat she will just dig down a bit - it is on a thermostat control but in has lasted over 4yrs currently and only occasionally turn off on hot days. She goes to the vet every year and has said all her blood work etc is spot on so no need for uv light as seems to be getting enough naturally :)

[MENTION=40916]onelife[/MENTION] awesome thank you so much that is very helpful :)

[MENTION=42656]shegleg[/MENTION] two fairly simple ways you can help retain heat in a glass enclosure like you've shown are:

1: Plywood lid in place of the flimsy mesh. Can either cut large holes to sit dome lights over the top or have a sparky wire up a socket. But only if you desire lighting as the heat source. I would screw some 42x19mm pine DAR from hardware shop on all four edges for rigidity. Example:
ffced85685fdf56e6ee052e68bfbd319.jpg

2: Self-adhesive foam sheets on the back and sides will aid with insulation. Google search for abelflex (can get 300mm wide rolls with adhesive backing), or the sound deadening stuff from jaycar are both good options.

[MENTION=32194]Smittiferous[/MENTION] I think I might go with a heat mat for the setup :) thanks I will get some foam and a wood lid organised.

An alternative to Smittiferous' great idea is to use silver heat tape, available from Bunnings. We have an ackie in a tank just like that one, and we have covered most of the mesh with the heat tape, leaving venting at both ends. We also have a DIY styrofoam background to help retain heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back