Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GilesColey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
apologies if this is not in the right section?? I am new on the forum.

I am from Perth and my 8 year old son would like a python or Boa. I have a couple of questions on this.

1) What would be the best python for a kid this age. I would like a snake that can be handled easily and is pretty placid. Carpet, Spotted, Coastal....

2) What age snake is the best to get. This will be a long term thing so I am happy to get a baby if necessary, is it a case of the younger the better?? can you advise here??

2) I am planning on building an indoor cage with my son as a little project (may turn in a large project though) I have attached some pics of an area I have at home that I think may be perfect for a nice glass cage. The area is at the front doot so could be a nice talking point and may look nice as a feature as you walk in.

The little area is L-shaped and about 3 long in total, 1.5meters each way. A pillar seperates the 2 sections as you can see in the pics.
Just curious what you thin of the idea, will it be too hard, any resources on the net for me to start this.

I plan on doing a lot of reading on lighting /heating/food/maintenance etc before buying the snake so this wont happen soon. Have to build the cage first anyway.

Thanks all, any help will be welcome, feel free to make other suggestions for me??

(yes, that horrible pink is going)

Giles

Attachments

• OCT O8 CAMP 017.jpg
    OCT O8 CAMP 017.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 76
  • OCT O8 CAMP 018.jpg
    OCT O8 CAMP 018.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 82
  • OCT O8 CAMP 022.jpg
    OCT O8 CAMP 022.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 70
  • OCT O8 CAMP 023.jpg
    OCT O8 CAMP 023.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 81
Hey Gileycoley,

Good on your son, a reptile is a great pet for a child taken a responsible adult is present. You son will learn a lot from a snake, such as the environment and wild animals, how to care for a pet , a very exotic pet and how to respect snakes and be safer around them in the wild.

Here are my answers to your questions, I hope they help you in making your decision. Please note that I do not claim to know everything, this is just going by personal experience. Also make sure you buy/read the book Keeping & Breeding Australian Pythons by Mike Swan it's a bible when it comes to keeping snakes. Also note you may need a licence before you purchase a snake, not sure for Perth as I live in Vic. Can get all the info from department of sustainability and Environmen website.

1.) I have found Centrillian (Bredli) Carpet pythons as well as Diamonds and the aptly named Childrens pythons are great handlers, easy to feed, fairly docile and rather hardy as long as the basics are provided. They don't grow too large and are beautiful to look at. Bredli's are also very comfortable in a warmer climate.

2.) The age of the snake is entirely up to you. Juvinilles tend to be a bit more snappy than adults but that really depends on the breed and the personality of the snake. I got my first snake as a juvinille (it was a bredli) and to date it has only snapped at me once and that was a feeding mistake by me. As snakes get older they tend to become more docile, however it is a great learning experience raising one from a baby.

3.) You will need to know what snake you are purchasing to know what size enclosure it will require. A baby can live in a small box but an adult would need a lot more space. (especially if it's tree dwelling.) There is a lot of info in that book I mentioned and on this forum that can guide you through building a cage.

Anyway that's probably enough from me I could go all day.

Feel free to post anymore questions if you think of any

Rache

hey GilesColey
1. Carpets like Bredl's and MDs (Murry Darlings) are good to start with as they are calm and placid. Spotteds are good to. just get what you, and your son, like the look of.
2. hatchies are good to start with as you can watch them grow and stuff and get them used to handling etc. Hatchies ussually dont go into big enclosures straight away tho, start with a small plastic tub first:)
hope this helps

Given you are in Perth you cant have Bredli or murray/darlings etc mentioned above [not alowed to import into WA] I would suggest that you start with a stimmie [Antaresia stimsoni] as they are small and easy to look after and available at a reasonable cost.

Hey GilesColey

Firstly you need a license! granted your over 18 you can obtain a Category 3 License which you are able to keep Stimson Pythons or South Western Carpet pythons plus a range of other reptiles but these are the only pythons you can keep on a Cat 3 license. The difference between the two... price approx $400 for the stimson python around $700-900 for a S-W Carpet. Different colouring, different length. I own a stimson python great first python altho i only speak for mine hes carm and gentle awesome patterns he'll only grow to about a metre if that! Once u choose the species you want I recommend do all the research you can, theres helpful Care sheets on the pythons West Aussies can keep on the naturebase website

Thanks Rache, some great info there, I will certainly get the book you mentioned.

Thanks for the info from toastie, beeman and first_time_owner, I will look into gettinf a license soon.

Thanks again, I will keep you updated on my progress

Giles

The space you have available, if done properly, would be ideally suited to a SW Carpet Python as they like to climb. I wouldn't house a hatchling in it as it is just too big but it would be perfect for an adult.

Thanks Jaih

Thanks CarpetCleaner, I will keep it in a small container until he is old enough, may even get an adult as well for the big cage. Would hate to see it wasted. How old would the snake have to be (roughly) to be the right size for the larger cage.

What price am I looking at for a SW carpet baby, any suggestions on where to get one from in Perth??

Thanks

Hi Ladysnake

I am as far north as you can possibly go - Yanchep

This place is close to me: Exotic tropical fish and reptiles - Wangara
Will they possible have them?? I will give them a ring and see.

Are there any breeders around where I could possibly get one cheaper, trying to not spend too much, but will if I have to

Hi, for you I would suggest a Childrens Python, or a Stimpsons. This is because when other pythons can get very large, this may provoke young children. These snake will be lucky if they grown over a meter in length.

I would suggest a hatchling as it grows as you grow.

Looks great. Use as must area as you want, and I would suggest some sort of "Beech" wood to use for your enclosure.

Oh, and welcome to APS.

You could try Gary Davies. I think he's up near Two Rocks.

Hi, for you I would suggest a Childrens Python, or a Stimpsons. This is because when other pythons can get very large, this may provoke young children. These snake will be lucky if they grown over a meter in length.
I would suggest a hatchling as it grows as you grow.
Looks great. Use as must area as you want, and I would suggest some sort of "Beech" wood to use for your enclosure.
Oh, and welcome to APS.

thanks fraser888

I have had a look at the Stimmie and childrens but I prefer the look of the SW carpet. I dont mind if he/she gets quite big, I have a decent size cage and more room outside to build a bigger one if required. I had a 22ft african rock back home growing up in kwazulu natal north of Durban so "big" is not a problem, but we also had a big farm over there
I am showing my son how to handle snakes correctly and the odd bite wont hurt, it will certainly keep that respect in place

I will keep my options open though

Thanks You could try Gary Davies. I think he's up near Two Rocks.

Thanks ladysnake, havent heard of him, but 2 Rocks is 5 min from, great thanks

PS: you dont have a number for him do you??

I agree Children's or Spotted pythons are a great beginner snake as they arent too big and heavy for children's hands. Children's are prob more placid overall, but it does depend on the individual snake. Juveniles tend to be more nippy until they get bigger and older so maybe get an older (yearling and above) snake? Although with hatchies its fun to watch them grow and you get to know the snake as time progresses.

Thanks Bearded_Lady

I do like the idea of having the snake from a baby. They always seem to "belong" in the family a little more I feel. I will be gettign a hatchie!

No worries GilesColey! Remember that you don't need a big enclosure straight away even if you are thinking of getting a larger snake species. Most python hatchies will do fine in a small click-clack container for the first few months of their life and an enclosure too big can potentially stress them out.

No worries GilesColey! Remember that you don't need a big enclosure straight away even if you are thinking of getting a larger snake species. Most python hatchies will do fine in a small click-clack container for the first few months of their life and an enclosure too big can potentially stress them out.

Most people keep snakes in a tub for a year- 2 years not just a few months if its a baby.

Thanks Dave94 and Bearded _Lady

I certainly plan on something small for a while. I will ask some opinions as the snake gets older

Now to try and build a cage, are there any step by step instructions on the net/books on building a cage in an area like my photos. I presume I will need a power point somewhere for lighting/heating etc what kind of timber?? plan on building a building a shelf in there as well?? etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back