Eye problem in Oedura Marmorata

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyNut

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
sadly my newly acquired Oedura Maramorata (marbled velvet gecko) has one eye that is significantly larger than the other. I have spoken with Dr Danny Brown and he believes this to be either abscess or a tumour behind the eye pushing it outward. Due to tha fact that this only appeared within the time frame of a few days to a week, thankfully this is more likely to be an abscess (thank god). I will probabaly end up taking him to the vets next weekend and see if this can be lanced or weather it has to surgically removed. At this point in time it does not appear to be effecting him in a negative way, he is still eating and drinking fine and other than the eye is 100% healthy. Emailed Shane Simpson from Karingal animal hospital to see what he thinks. Btw does anyone know what could have caused this to happen?

Thanks
kind regards
CN

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 60
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Hi everyone,
sadly my newly acquired Oedura Maramorata (marbled velvet gecko) has one eye that is significantly larger than the other. I have spoken with Dr Danny Brown and he believes this to be either abscess or a tumour behind the eye pushing it outward. Due to tha fact that this only appeared within the time frame of a few days to a week, thankfully this is more likely to be an abscess (thank god). I will probabaly end up taking him to the vets next weekend and see if this can be lanced or weather it has to surgically removed. At this point in time it does not appear to be effecting him in a negative way, he is still eating and drinking fine and other than the eye is 100% healthy. Emailed Shane Simpson from Karingal animal hospital to see what he thinks. Btw does anyone know what could have caused this to happen?

Thanks
kind regards
CN

I had a similar problem with a wheeleri hatchling earlier this year

I didn't receive any information on here which I suspect means it's not overly common, though I did get some info from Shane Simpson.
He'd seen a similar a similar case posted online not long before that of an asian house gecko in someones kitchen. This is what he said about the first animal he saw:

"This gecko has a condition called pseudobuphthalmos. It is caused when the nasolacrimal duct or "tear duct" becomes blocked. Fluid cannot drain away and accumulates between the spectacle and the surface of the eye resulting in this impressive swelling.
It can be only temporary with the duct becoming clear again and the fluid can drain away on its own. In some cases surgery is required to correct it but it is difficult on such small animals.
The cause is often assumed to be scarring but if often never known.
The other possibility is a subspectacular abscess but the fluid in these cases tend not to be clear as in this gecko but more a yellow colour of pus."

In my case he said this

"I would suggest it is what is going on with this gecko. Given it is a hatchling I suspect it has not developed the "tear duct" properly on that side."

Here is the link to see the photos from my issue.

https://aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php/210921-Wheeleri-Eye-Problem

Unfortunately the little gecko of mine ended up being euthanized as it continued to swell whilst I was away at work and was starting to cause him discomfort.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

Last edited:
How did you go with the eye issue [MENTION=40362]CrazyNut[/MENTION]

Nothing has changed opted out of the vet option as it was not effecting him. He hunts fine, drinks fine, behaves normally he just looks a bit different. Certainly loves his crickets, gulps down 4-5 crickets in a 2-3 minutes lol Shane Simpson believes it to be an abscess behind or in the eye. I emailed him. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back