Black headed python behaviour - help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onelife

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if any ones black headed python does the same - I purchased Betty 10mths ago and she was very under done for a 3yr old - since then she has doubled in size and weight so about 2.5mtr and 3kgs but has always been a bit skittish to touch but has never struck - just a lot of puffing but lately if she gets anywhere near one of my other females when out and I try to move her/pick her up she will wrap around my arm/hand or neck for a good 15mins and freeze and if I even try to move she will try to get tighter and even drool spit and resists all attempts to unwind her - I always do this very gently as to not **** her off further and then put here away much to here distain. I know this could be just seasonal or even characteristic related but wasn't sure as my first black headed python - she could just be evil :) and contemplating if she wants to bite or not. My stimson and albino darwin are totally chilled out but this one is polar opposite which could just be due to poor handling/husbandry early too?

You do realise that BHPs are primarily snake eaters in the wild I suppose? Exposing your BHP to contact with other pythons which would normally be prey for BHPs is risky to say the least, and it may just be that you are experiencing a confused feeding response. There can be a two-way response when BHPs and other python species sense or scent each other in close proximity - the other species can become agitated because they sense danger, and the BHP can go into feeding mode. They are hard-wired to prefer other reptiles as food, so keep them as far from each other as possible.

Jamie

Yes I make sure they are normally in separate rooms when exercising and I had a woma previous to this as well but this girl really is so different I am surprised with her antics but a constant learning curb with any new animal :) thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back