Feed/shed cycle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnzrpunk

Reaction score
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere. Have just joined forum, and could not find my question covered.
This is a question about regularity of shedding cf feeding.

My gorgeous 3yo female mac has recently altered her feed/shed cycle.
She usually enjoys small adult rats;about 3 weeks apart in warm weather, 5 weeks in cooler weather. (She lives in a large enclosure in the family room, lights calibrated to daylight hours, ambient winter room temp set at 17* overnight, 19* day; her enclosure has constant heat mat plus temp controlled at 22.5*overnight, 26* daytime - winter)
She is very docile, frequently handled and reasonably active. She spends some time outside in sunshine with me every other day, except when she's blue, when I reduce any handling to minimal.
Through her 2nd year, and until recently, she has sloughed regularly following 2, sometimes 3 feeds. Her sloughs, again until recently, have been easy single pieces.
She had a difficult shed around 3 months ago, which I believe was due to me not paying as close attention and not noticing her blueing, and not doing my usual daily misting...
Since then, her sheds have been patchy, although each one is better than the one before, but since her difficult shed, she goes blue within 24 hours of a poo, which is usually 2-3 days after a meal. She begins her slough within a week of going blue.
I watch her behaviour following a slough to gauge when to offer her a meal. She exhibits hunting behaviours from about 8 days following slough, and I have been offering her a rat about 11+/-days following each slough. So, she's feeding successfully roughly every 3.5 weeks at present, and sloughing between every meal.
other than that, she seems happy, alert, handle able. Just different to what I've come to expect from her. She's 1.3 m, slender but not thin. What do some of you other pythoners think?

I think you're being way over analytic about this.
You have a mac, there is 0 need for misting to aid with shedding if you're providing correct water requirements with a correct temp gradient.
As snakes get older their growth rate slows as does their feeding and shedding cycle.
Attempting to regulate is a futile endeavor.

I think that shedding every 3 1/2 weeks is a little strange for a 3 year old snake especially with only one feed between sheds but unfortunately can't help you as to why.

Show me a reptile/snake that is not going to have issues with a "top temp" of 26 degrees, that "IMO" is asking for trouble, why a snake that is not breeding shouldn,t have access to 33-34c for 8 +/- hours a day is beyond me. solar 17 ~B~

Show me a reptile/snake that is not going to have issues with a "top temp" of 26 degrees, that "IMO" is asking for trouble, why a snake that is not breeding shouldn,t have access to 33-34c for 8 +/- hours a day is beyond me. solar 17 ~B~
Not sure if I read it correctly or not but I read that it had a heat mat (hot spot) plus ambient at 25-26. Not sure if this is how it was meant but that is how I took the statement.

Not sure if I read it correctly or not but I read that it had a heat mat (hot spot) plus ambient at 25-26. Not sure if this is how it was meant but that is how I took the statement.
"YES" on re-reading it you probably are correct. ~B~

I'm not sure if I'm correct but from information I have read feeding every 3 weeks and shedding every 9 weeks could be a bit of a stretch. I have been told a feeding schedule of around 7 to 10 days and shedding around 4 to 6 weeks for a snake that is relatively young. My blackhead's run to roughly that cycle, but differs in winter with cooling for breeding.

One of my adult female GTPs used to shed every 3-4 weeks, and it was usually a thin, ragged affair that left bits scattered like confetti around the enclosure. As she was growing, all was normal, with good clean sheds every couple of months. However, when I started cooling the enclosure more, her sheds reduced to every 2-3 months (i.e, normal) and were of a much more substantial thickness, usually in one piece. It may be temperature related, and combined with the onset of sexual maturity, the hormonal changes may bring about this change in pattern. You could try dropping the night temps quite a bit more (many Antaresia keepers allow their snakes to drop to ambient temps overnight year-round without harm).

Jamie

I'm not sure if I'm correct but from information I have read feeding every 3 weeks and shedding every 9 weeks could be a bit of a stretch. I have been told a feeding schedule of around 7 to 10 days and shedding around 4 to 6 weeks for a snake that is relatively young. My blackhead's run to roughly that cycle, but differs in winter with cooling for breeding.
You are right for a young snake but this snake is 3 years old. [MENTION=1228]Pythoninfinite[/MENTION] that is very interesting, I have always (apart from GTP) provided no heating at night all year round once they were over 1 year old, this included my spotted python that I had for many years but recently sold.

Yes, that is what I meant. Sorry to be confusing.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Jamie, it looks what what you describe from your gtp. I think what I'm reading (thanks to all who've replied) is that things sound okay, (and yes, I described ambient enclosure temp, and she has heat mat too, which takes the temp at hot end well into mid - high 30's) but maybe let her cool at night (switch head pad off perhaps?)
Our home is kept warm as I have a chronic pain condition, so it is never 'cold' indoors.
i notice my girl does move around her enclosure a lot. She has a rock cave each end, one over heat pad, one at cool end and another bark cave centrally located, but mostly during the day she is around the heat pad end.
i mist her before a slough because her enclosure has a mesh top, and it is a dry heat indoors. She also has a large shallow waterbowl, but I noted the first ever difficult shed was when I had not misted...
thanks again for your thoughts. I am a tad obsessive about my snakey :)

to drop another one in....my murray darling was do to shed did the whole white over the eyes as i understand it about 5 days later he should have shed...nothing and we are on day 11 no sign of it i did move him into a new enclosure just before ....any input..
thanks tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back