Lizard I.D. Newcastle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apprenticegnome

Reaction score
IMG_9090.jpgIMG_9082.jpgIMG_9087.jpgMy wife found this lizard in the garden and panicked at it's wriggle type movement. It's unusual in movement to our commonly found skinks and was wondering what sort of skink it is.

I'm confident that is a Three-toed Skink (Saiphos equalis).

Reasons being: elongate body and tail; reduced limbs and digits (three on each foot); colouration - chocolate brown dorsally and black on the sides.
The underside would have been yellow or orange if you happened to see it.
Location is within the range of S. equalis.

Last edited:
I understand your wifes reaction. When I was a kid I caught what was probably one of these in a big pile of leaf litter, I thought it was a snake because it didn't seem to run but rather "slithered" like a snake.

I would agree it is Saiphos equalis as the dark dorsolateral line is wide and the entire side is dark, while it does nor have strong dorsal markings, which contrast with the Eastern Three-toed Skink, Hemiergis talbingoensis. Both have an orange or yellow belly but Saiphos has black under the end of the tail.
For the technically minded, both have a moveable lower eye-lid but that of H. talbingoensis has a transparent disc while Saiphos does not.

These guys shelter in moist areas under rocks or logs in nature or whatever in a yard and spend much of the time cruising through the leaf litter hunting. that is why you would not see see them normally. The fact they are surviving in your garden is a very healthy sign that you are not into using heavy duty chemicals, especially pesticides, and have a healthy layer of organic mulch.

Blue

Thanks all for the replies. The movement, skinny legs and what looked initially like 2 toes or as I put it to the wife a camel toe (turned out to be 3 when I looked closer) were what made me seek an identification. It's fascinating to find something your not used to seeing everyday in the back yard.

Newcastle Australia. Sorry I didn't put that in the start of the thread, I didn't even think about our twin in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back