First snake handling tips

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karasaurus

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just recently purchased my first snake - a Stimsons Python.
She was quite calm when she first got here but since that first handling she has been really snappy. I've left her alone for now and was wondering how long I should leave her to get used to her new environment.
I've finally got her temps in her cage right and it is sitting at 34 degrees in the hot end. She has had 1 feeding as well in the week I've had her.

When I do start handling her what is the best way to go about it? Is there better times of the day to do it? She appears calmer at night than during the day. I seem to have lost all confidence in my ability to hold her since she has been snappy. I've had a bearded dragon for 6 years now and have no issues handling him but obviously snakes are different.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. We have reptile meetings once a month in our town but they're always on a friday night and as I work nights I cannot make them.

Hey
I personally would leave her alone for about a week, then i would feed.. wait two days min and then try to handle.. with handling just try and be nice and relaxed and don't be restrictive at all, just let her cruse through your hands.. also don't hesitate when getting her out.. try to be as confident as you can because a tiny snake that can see a huge shadow in front of them lingering is probably going to get defensive.. bites are always going to happen with a baby.

They need a minimum of about a week to settle properly, though some snakes are fine to be held a bit earlier with no issues depending on how they feel about it.

Best way to do it. Is not farting around and umming and ah'ing about picking her up. The snake picks up on you getting nervous and then it gets nervous aswell. So just go in and pick her up ( Wake her up first by touching her her gently) Being a new snake owner you will brunt a few bites, it comes with owning a snake. I've been bitten on the hands and face. If she seems calmer at night, then handle her at night. Stimmies are more active at night anyway. Snakes are often more docile after a feed too so that could help.

When you feed her, give her 2 days or so to digest. Only handle her when you can see that no lumps of food in her belly so she doesn't throw it up. If the above method is still freaking you out a little bit I suggest buying a snake hook. You just slide it under her and lift her out then transfer her to your hands.

For example with my little 6mo old stimmy, I just put my hand next to him, he look VERY interested but once realized it wasn't food he go bored of my hand. It was then that I picked him up. Also remember don't make sudden movements around them. You're already big enough and scary enough to the little girl.

Also. Just have fun with it! A bite from a python the size of a stimmy might hurt a LITTLE bit. It scares the crap out of you, but in realistically it's not all that painful.

Good luck!

I say let it bite you fi it hasnt already. Just put your hand in close your eyes and wait for it if your scared youll flinch. Once you know how little the bites actually hurt youll get that confidence back in no time and wonder what all the fuss was about. Thats just for your fear though. Give the little one time and shell calm down.

Haha I think you're probably right there, I just need to do it and get over it.
I'll let her be for now and then I'll try and overcome that fear after she has a feed.
Thanks guys!

Haha I think you're probably right there, I just need to do it and get over it.
I'll let her be for now and then I'll try and overcome that fear after she has a feed.
Thanks guys!

I would try the hook method first tbh .. once he's out of the viv he will calm down instantly , then gradually you'll get more confident and prob not need it ..

Hi,
I've just recently purchased my first snake - a Stimsons Python.
She was quite calm when she first got here but since that first handling she has been really snappy. I've left her alone for now and was wondering how long I should leave her to get used to her new environment.
I've finally got her temps in her cage right and it is sitting at 34 degrees in the hot end. She has had 1 feeding as well in the week I've had her.

When I do start handling her what is the best way to go about it? Is there better times of the day to do it? She appears calmer at night than during the day. I seem to have lost all confidence in my ability to hold her since she has been snappy....

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. ...
I recommend that you don't handle newly acquired snakes at all, unless it's really necessary.
Let them settle in for weeks, if not months. Give it and yourself plenty of time to get used to each other, especially considering that it's your first snake.

I disagree with the advice to let your snake bite you. I think it's unnecessary.
It could harm the snake as a result of an involuntary reaction to rapidly pull away.

When you do handle your snake, here are some tips that may help.
I agree that the use of a snake hook is a good way to go, especially with newly acquired or defensive specimens. Even some snakes that I've had for several years are best removed from their enclosure with the use of a hook.
Once they're out and about you can gently pick them up. Make sure that they can see you before picking them up and don't surprise them by grabbing them from behind.
No sudden movements and don't just grab it or use unnecessary pressure to grasp it. The mid-body is a fairly good place to lift it up from. Support the snake elsewhere with the other hand asap. Avoid the anterior (especially the neck) and posterior ends. These areas seem to be particularly sensitive (the tail is the 'go button' it many snakes) and don't restrain them. If anything, let the snake hold you, rather than the other way around. Let it flow over your hands and move your hands into position, providing more support where needed.

Last edited:
I would try the hook method first tbh .. once he's out of the viv he will calm down instantly , then gradually you'll get more confident and prob not need it ..

Haha yeah this pretty much. Most snakes calm down alot once they are out of their cages. Then once he's out just sit down in a comfy chair and let him explore and move over your hands and lap etc. It won't be too long at all before you form a ( one sided ) bond with your little guy, then you can forgive an be less fearful of any bites or bad moods that will inevitably happen :D

Haha yeah this pretty much. Most snakes calm down alot once they are out of their cages. Then once he's out just sit down in a comfy chair and let him explore and move over your hands and lap etc. It won't be too long at all before you form a ( one sided ) bond with your little guy, then you can forgive an be less fearful of any bites or bad moods that will inevitably happen :D

I wish I had your way with words :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back