Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Pines:).

- - - Updated - - -

Growing and shedding, from today.

Attachments

• IMG_7941.jpg
    IMG_7941.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Richard, Awesome photos of your adult and juvenile Varanus-Rosenburgi Monitor's thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Some of you may remember that some time ago I acquired a pair of tristis monitors, and that they arrived in a rather sorry state. Here's an update on them. I'm happy to say that their condition is improving. The medium tristis used to weigh 133grams. Now she's 200grams. Her tail is becoming round and she's getting muscle back in her legs. The smallest tristis has had a bumpy road. He used to weigh 60grams, and he started off with quite an appetite. But from what weight he did gain he lost most of it when he had a prolapse. His appetite appears to have recovered however and now he weighs 80grams. I was hoping that they would have gained weight at a faster rate, but the onset of winter appears to have slowed their progress, and a couple of days ago I discovered that they had worms (hence why I annoyed them so I could weigh them). So once they have been treated hopefully things will continue to get better.

Griffon.jpg
Updatetail.jpg
littleguy.jpg
grumpy.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so insanely jealous of your Tristis' [MENTION=41840]Oshkii[/MENTION]!!! And so glad they are of better health now. I'm sure, come the warmer months they'll bloom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so insanely jealous of your Tristis' @Oshkii!!! And so glad they are of better health now. I'm sure, come the warmer months they'll bloom.

I can't wait to see them in the height of summer. Just like the lizards, I don't like the cold weather either. :)

IV, is that coir peat you're using for your baby Heath Monitors? I've just switched to it today for my monitors but they don't seem to like it. They were originally on hemp.

It is interesting to see the same tristis patterning in that second photo especially. I assume the darker coloration is due to their southerly locale, being able to absorb more heat from the sun.

I use a mix of fine grained sand and coir blocks as it retains moisture well and caters for their burrowing behaviour. I also mist the enclosure most mornings. As juveniles they seem to turn the whole enclosure over faily regularly (though I do still have a few in there); as adults my captive pair seem more like Lacies in that the only real digging I see is around nesting time. Apologies for the essay:).

image.jpgimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Photos from past VHS expos. The gilleni in the tub were part of a trio which were for sale ($1000 for all three) and from the second expo (2012 I beleive). The lacie was on display by Cranbourne aquarium from memory. The liitle guy I have no idea but from memory he was for sale for around $300-$400. I love VHS, wish it there were more VIC expos.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpeg
I forgot this lovely chap. He was from this years VHS, on display at Karingal's stand. I met the owner at the dinner and was happy to bump into her on the floor the next day (she approched me after I took the snaps haha).

Crazy i love that first picture.. *still on the look out for a good picture for an addition to my Tattoo sleeve

Last edited:
I use a mix of fine grained sand and coir blocks as it retains moisture well and caters for their burrowing behaviour. I also mist the enclosure most mornings. As juveniles they seem to turn the whole enclosure over faily regularly (though I do still have a few in there); as adults my captive pair seem more like Lacies in that the only real digging I see is around nesting time. Apologies for the essay:).
I don't mind essays when they're reptile related. :p Trying to find the best substrate for my monitors is proving difficult. The hemp looked reasonably nice and was easy to maintain, but it was a bit dry and dusty. When parts of it were sprayed down it became moldy. The coir peat looks really nice and holds moisture well, but it clings to everything and the monitors don't appear to like it much. When dry, it's also dusty. I might try sand mixed with leaf litter after a couple of days if they're still running around hating it.

If it's only for the larger pair (tristis) you posted earlier, some red desert sand, moistened occasionally, would be fine imo. I've used that for both tristis and gillens with good results. Coir blocks have been great for raising Lace monitors, I just replenish or replace when it gets too dry.

Attachments

• tristis 1 005.jpg
    tristis 1 005.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 140
  • tristis enclosure 003.jpg
    tristis enclosure 003.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 139
  • Sidney's first diggs 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    Sidney's first diggs 001 [1600x1200].jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 142
Builders sand or brickie sand holds well with moisture as well. And a lot cheaper than the red desert sand sold in reptile outlets. ;)

Mine came from a trip out to Roxby Downs, but it still cost me to get there:). I have heard some brikie's mixes have dyes and concrete additives, that's why I've not used it before, it may be misinformation though? Another option may be just to collect some substrate from a location know for black tristis in your area?

I've never heard that before about dyes and additives. I will look into that. As you say, Richard, it could be misinformation (spread by the pet stores ;) ).

Cheers!:) Can you PM me when you find out, Darren, as it does hold burrows well and Bunnings have it locally...I'll def try it out:).

Yeh some places sell quarry sand which is dyed red. It stains your animals skins. Plain washed kids play sand from bunnings is the best stuff (only outmatched by red natrually dessert sand for ascetic reasons) . It holds moisture really well and doesn't clump up when it gets wet and than dries. [MENTION=41911]imported-varanus[/MENTION] what is that grass in the back of the gilleni set up? Looks great!

Latest posts

Back