Shinglebacks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brando_fish

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been keen on wanting to have a pet shingleback for quite some years now and I was wondering whether I should get a breeding pair? I have a 4ftx3ftx2ft enclosure prepared but I haven't decided on how many shinglebacks and if so what gender?

If I go with a breeding pair can I sell the young, under a recreational wildlife licence in qld?

Thanks, if you have any knowledge about breeding shingle backs it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brando

- - - Updated - - -

Any response would be nice :)

Shinglebacks are adorable. They love company so I'd say to get two or three, just don't have two boys together unless they're in a large enclosure with plenty of space to escape and also make sure you have as many girls as boys if not more so they don't fight over them, you can just have females though. I have a male and female in a four ft enclosure in my lounge room and I love them. They are always curled up with each other and don't mind being held, they actually quite often fall asleep sitting in my lap with me just stroking them like a puppy :).

i don't know much about breeding sorry but I have heard they are fairly easy to breed and they usually give birth to between 1-3 live young about a quarter to a third the size of the female... Ouch!

Shinglebacks are adorable. They love company so I'd say to get two or three, just don't have two boys together unless they're in a large enclosure with plenty of space to escape and also make sure you have as many girls as boys if not more so they don't fight over them, you can just have females though. I have a male and female in a four ft enclosure in my lounge room and I love them. They are always curled up with each other and don't mind being held, they actually quite often fall asleep sitting in my lap with me just stroking them like a puppy :).

i don't know much about breeding sorry but I have heard they are fairly easy to breed and they usually give birth to between 1-3 live young about a quarter to a third the size of the female... Ouch!

It must be a skink trait , both my bluetongues and my water skink often doze off while having a nurse and while I'm stroking them just like a puppy. If I stop stroking them, they'll open their eyes and look up at me as if to say " Excuse me - but I was enjoying that and don't say to stop " .
They'll also snuggle very closely into me.
They definitely seem to enjoy the interaction.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you need a breeding pair?
Maybe he wants to see how they interact ,wont get that with just one skink . I certainly wish I'd bought 2 little water skinks rather than just one. If they bred , so much the better.

Last edited:
It must be a skink trait , both my bluetongues and my water skink often doze off while having a nurse and while I'm stroking them just like a puppy. If I stop stroking them, they'll open their eyes and look up at me as if to say " Excuse me - but I was enjoying that and don't say to stop " .
They'll also snuggle very closely into me.

mine do the same :) my blue tongue also seems to enjoy it but not as much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back