Help needed ASAP for CCP - Red scales?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theroyalpython

Reaction score
I have a nearly 3 year old, 5-6 foot long Coastal Carpet Python.

Tonight while watching her feed, I noticed she has reddish/pink blotches (almost like pale skin would look after you slapped it) running near her underbelly.

My first thought, after being shocked, was scale rot or burns. I checked the heater, both of my thermometers say under 30c and I put my hand directly onto the heating cord, and it's nowhere near hot enough to burn me. Could prolonged exposure to "warm" heat cause that?

She doesn't seem to be "moist" on her belly, it looks normal except for the redness. She doesn't have any other discoloration whatsoever.

She has been a bit sluggish over the winter but that's normal for her when it's cold so I can't say for sure if she's lethargic. She seems to be acting like she normally would this time of year.

She has seemed a little thicker than usual for the last almost two months but I figured that's because I moved her up a size of rats.

Her habitat is clean, the bedding (cat litter) isn't wet, and I couldn't find any mites or anything on her or in the bedding. She hasn't been acting unusual and she is feeding fantastically as usual.

She's also about to shed, but I've never seen her turn red or pink when shedding before. I'll try taking some pictures later, and I'm going to make a vet appointment as soon as I can find a vet near me in the morning. The "blotches" seem to cover about a third of her belly, some brighter than others, but they're pale enough that you wouldn't tell unless there was direct light on her, or if you were just glancing. I only noticed tonight but I've been busy for the last few weeks with exams and work so apart from feeding and cleaning I haven't been able to pay close attention so I can't say for sure how long they've been there :cry:

Please, any help would be appreciated. Does anyone know what it's from, or have any idea? I was worried it might be septicemia but apart from the discoloration I can't see any other symptoms. She doesn't seem to have blisters or lumps or bumps or anything. Around her mouth looks usual and when she yawned the inside of her mouth looked normal too. She seems pretty alert too.

Please, if there's anything you can tell me, I'd really appreciate it :cry:

If it was during feeding, it just sounds like blushing. It happens when they get excited and get more bloodflow near the surface of their skin at feeding time

I agree with Saximus.
A pic would help clear this up really quickly but it's a carpet python thing, (more often seen in Diamonds). May be more visible at this time of year coming out of winter. My female Diamond goes bright red when feeding at this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back