Can I turn the heat off at night this summer?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerlily

Reaction score
So I'm stuck in a less-than-ideal housing situation at the moment. My snakes have to be kept in my bedroom which is not all that big, and gets VERY hot during warm weather. The two heat mats are making the room unbearable to sleep in at night!

Last night I couldn't stand it any longer and I turned off the mats so that I could sleep. I watched the temps for a while and they didn't go any lower than 26.

Is it very very bad to turn off heating at night or can I get away with it during the summer?

Thanks in advance

I generally give hatchies 24 hour heat for their first 12 months. After that they get nothing at night.

If your location is right and your in qld, i wouldnt bother with night heat at all. Im in nsw near sydney and i dont heat at night it stays warm enough anyway its not always a nice 33? outside. If your worried place a tile on there hotspot to help retain some surface heat for them (like they would find on a rock or the road)

I had my thermos on a timer but when I looked in ther tanks one was at 38 degrees >_> Thats because of the residual heat plus the extra heat from the room.

I turned the mats off and even like 6 hours after being off it was still 31 degrees in there.

Plus I live in a concrete/brick building and the snakes are against the wall so the wall gives them extra heat from the day.

- - - Updated - - -

So to answer your question. Yes you can turn them off at night

I have mine on timers all year round
8 hrs of heat a day they all eating and drinking fine. The only ones on 24 hr heat were the two babies but I have taken them off it now. I'm in Brisbane

I'm brisbane too. If it gets above about 35 with residual heat I turn the mats off

I'm in central qld and use no heating at night all year round, I use basking globes through the day for heat/light cycles

my reptiles are in a purpose built reptile room wich is Kept at 25.c to ensure they have cool ends in there enclosures as ambient temps are around 30.c and would overheat through the day in summer

Last edited:
I'm in Brizzy, n I've just turned of my heat. I nearly got the ice bricks out on Monday.

Fil...

The dimming thermostats should be using next to nothing in summer. But the Melbourne summer consists of a few 40+c and the rest high 20's to mid 30's for 15 minutes of each day before winter makes a comeback for 2.5 hours then autumn and another 90 minutes of summer :) you get the idea :p

Bob is set to 24c at night and 32c during the day 24/7.

I've got to get some timers to cut down on electricity, my heat is on all the time in the snake and gecko tanks (I did for a while keep moving the gecko's heatpad to underneith part of the bluey's enclosure until about 9pm each day this winter, one of them loved it, the other was too doughy to realise it was there and stuck to hiding under newspaper for warmth).
The snake seems to like it that way, she uses the heated spot at various times of the day and night and other parts of the tanks the rest of the time, uses it a heap leading up to a shed.

I was wondering the same thing...I'm in Brisbane and my snakes in my bedroom which has been 37-40 degrees during the day and only gets down to 27 at night ...stifling...my spotted python has been hanging out over his water dish

I would recommend with the current Brisbane heat to turn off all heating until it cools down again. I have not had any heat running since Friday afternoon to keep things cool. Remember reptiles die a lot faster from over heating than from being to cold.
Cheers Cameron

Even in Melbourne I don't heat any animals at night during summer.
I only give night time heat to animals in winter during their first year then after that nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back