Thick Tailed Gecko Heating?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViperReptiles

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm going to be getting a Thick Tailed Gecko later on today so I have been reading up on them for the past few days. The only thing I'm still not 100% on is heating, some places will say they require temperatures between 26-30 whilst other places say that they don't need heating. I live in SA as well
This will be my first time keeping a gecko.

Cheers.

Yep all reptiles need some form of heat to thermoregulate, even if its a subtle temperature difference. Some keepers will withhold heating geckos, which means many keep them in a warm, temperature controlled reptile room. Some people are misinformed and believe that you can keep geckos in stone cold vivariums and its all ok. This isn't intelligent husbandry. Given the opportunity and choice, geckos will be observed moving between warm and cool spots in captivity. My Knob Tailed Geckos do just this, seeking out and lying on their small heat mat then back to their hide box even during the day.
Thick Tailed Geckos are simple to keep, but won't tolerate getting too hot. They are easily heat stressed and can dehydrate and die in a hot cage. Thermostats will assist keeping them the right temperature. Look up 'Keeping and Breeding Australian Lizards' Edited by Mike Swan. There is plenty of the right information in this reference material.

We kept 2 in a glass tank with a heat mat under the glass at one end. That was enough heat for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back