Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I still love snakes and other herps, I've always been a lizard person first. It's nice to see that there's more interest in them. I think pythons are still popular in WA, if the reptile expo last year is anything to go on. There were simply pythons everywhere, while there were only a handful of lizards. I was a little disappointed to be honest, but it was still a great day and hopefully there will be more expos in the future.

I find it strange that monitors may be the next "thing" as they are some of the more difficult, or perhaps more demanding lizards to keep, despite their behaviours being so interesting. They require a generous amount of space, extravagant heating (higher power bills), are obligate carnivores (hence no good for squeamish keepers), have very messy habits, breeding can be a difficult and lengthy process (particularly in larger species), and in general aren't the most handable of lizards.

But we love them [MENTION=41840]Oshkii[/MENTION]

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Definitely! I didn't manage to get an Ackie this year but maybe next year!

I'd like to say what a great bloke Stu has been. Ever since I joined a year ago he has been a great hand in technical problems, he has been reasonable and very helpful. He has done lots of good work for this site and an awesome guy to chat with. I think he has done an amazing job at running the site and I wish him luck in continuing to do so!

thankyou so much for getting the elapid thread back up

But we love them @Oshkii

I know, and that's why we put up with them even though there are other reptiles that require less space, heating, and have better table manners - that being said as my largest tristis just thrashed and mangled a mouse, carried it about like a teddy all over the enclosure, and then decided it was no good to eat anymore. Yet I still have my heart set for more. :facepalm:

@CrazyNut, I'm currently trying to sell our 2 year old BHP for a lot less, with no takers. While I agree with Jamie's comments, I also think pythons are no longer the "trend" in the hobby. Partly because of saturation, and partly because those only interested in making money from the hobby have moved on to other reptiles. I'm expecting an explosion in monitors for sale in the next few years.
The same thing happened with beards I mean leatherbacks went from $450 each to $150 within a month! Please the monitir boom has already started, its going to be huge this coming season I reckon. It will be an even bigger dissapointment if its not. I honeestly don't care of monitors become more prevlant and cheap, benifits me. I love monitors lol. [MENTION=41840]Oshkii[/MENTION] Storytime with CN! On my sixth birthday I was taken to the pet store, having a very strong interest in reptiles already, my parents gave me a choice. I could have 2 yearling bearded dragons or a childrens python (at the time I didn't know binomial names then nor did my parents) so being the greedy child I was I thought "2 is better than 1" so I got the two beardeds. To this day I have wondered what my interest woukd have been had I chose the snake or even if I would be still a keeper (I find pythons fairly boring tbh than again I'm used to fast and active lizards).

Definitely! I didn't manage to get an Ackie this year but maybe next year!

I'd like to say what a great bloke Stu has been. Ever since I joined a year ago he has been a great hand in technical problems, he has been reasonable and very helpful. He has done lots of good work for this site and an awesome guy to chat with. I think he has done an amazing job at running the site and I wish him luck in continuing to do so!

You are too bloody nice mate. Thanks for the kind words.

In my humble opinion, I think what we lack in numbers is far outstripped by the quality of posts and posters. Someone can ask a question out of ignorance and not get shot down in flames. And the care and love of reptiles shines through in every thread.
Love the new APS!

If only the same could be said about the old APS. Thats also what I kinda said in my other post, quality beats quantity and the forums have awesome quality.

This is a great site and you are doing a wonderful job. Being from the US I can't always get the proper "low down" on the wild habits and biology of the Aussie snakes. We have some great keepers here, but you guys are pretty much the python kings of the world in my opinion.

As far as Facebook goes,,,, It doesn't hold a candle to a well run snake forum. Facebook is somewhat self serving and more about the individual than the REAL topic.

I'm not on Facebook, probably because I'm too old and don't care, but I do like to discuss boas and pythons beyond what most folks on Facebook post.

I like learning about biological studies, wild habits, captive experiences and how certain species behave differently from others.

I'm VERY happy to see some older coastal, jungle and Darwin "show off" threads back. Because of that, I'm back.

People may say things are slow and that forums are dead but I feel eventually things will come around.

This is a forum dedicated solely to Aussie animals and I don't care what some bloak on Facebook has for info, it can't compare to a collective group of well informed hobbyists or professionals all gathered in one place.

Thank you sir for keeping this going and I'll try to visit more often!

I can see a pop up on my posts . Can you see one on the post above ( post number 31 ) because I can see one - it's a pinky peach colour with a gecko on the right side

- - - Updated - - -

I just took a screen shot and hope it comes through as an attachment

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 566
While FB is awesome there are far too many reptile groups on there now, I am added to a new one each day. It has become virtually impossible to navigate the massive amount of groups currently active.
While a few of them are great (like the one about virus awareness, Aussie Elapids etc) the rest are just plain garbage.
APS has a bad rep for good reason, the previous mods and owners (one or two excepted) were running the place into the ground trying to push their own messed up agendas.
I think now is a perfect to time start promoting the forum as under new ownership and as a centralised herp alternative to FB where users can easily navigate the areas they want to and also easily find old threads etc.

I would love to see this forum reach its full potential as at one time it was one of my favourite sites.

Thanks Josh

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words Josh. I know a few of us miss yours and some of the older members input

I will be more than happy to start contributing again :)
But what would really make me happy (and the many others) is if APS got its groove back lol.
Start an advertising campaign on FB which clearly states the forum is under new ownership. If the current Admin do not have the time then get one of the loyal members to become an "FB advertising Mod"
If FB is taking over the popularity of the forum dont just accept it, fight back!

I also have other ideas, one being give all members a 6 month free advertising period to get the marketplace active again. Don't worry about lost revenue in the meantime, think of the future

Last edited:
A little rich talking about lost revenue don't you think Josh when their are some of us that stuck by the forum and continue to put our hands in our pockets.

I'm glad you're back but take a deep breath hey?

A little rich talking about lost revenue don't you think Josh when their are some of us that stuck by the forum and continue to put our hands in our pockets.

I'm glad you're back but take a deep breath hey?

Whether you have stuck around or not doesnt change the fact that the forum needs more input.
Do you want suggestions on creating more members or not?

Edit:
I am so tempted not to bother after your welcome BTW

Last edited:
Whether you have stuck around or not doesnt change the fact that the forum needs more input.
Do you want suggestions on creating more members or not?

Edit:
I am so tempted not to bother after your welcome BTW

Contribute to the threads and make the forum a worthwhile place to visit Josh, that's all any of us can hope to achieve here.

I think we can do better.

There is a whole new generation of herpers that do not even know about this site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back