Copperheads

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr-Zoidberg

Reaction score
I was wondering if any one from the bendigo region could tell me if copperheads are found around here? I was on my uncles property raiding his dams for yabbies, and walking back to the farm house there was a large light brown snake curled up in the sun.

it was approximately 1.7m in length and fairly well built. I had been drinking a lot so decided not to hassle it to get a better look.
I've never seen a wild copperhead so would be great to know if I finally have.

There was not a lot of ground cover, just a few grass clumps and marsh plants. The terrain is low lying with a few shallow creeks and marshes with a lot of deep fissures/cracks in the higher grounds surrounding the area. Cheers.

Last edited:
1.7M sounds like an Eastern Brown, at a guess?

That was my first thought aswell as there verry common in bendigo and surrounds, I've relocated a large number of browns and can generally identify them from a distance but I was fairly inebriated at the time lol, I'm verry keen to find a copperhead before I leave vic so I might have to go on a feild trip.

A "felid trip" will only find you big cats, There's rumoured to be a Black Panther about there.... somewhere:).

Seriously, a bit more commonly encountered in low lying, wet areas closer to the coast (plenty on Mornington Peninsula it seems-check Baz's posts). If you're travelling back up to Gladstone and you take the New England Highway as opposed to the Coast Road, stop in at Lake Llangothlin (near Glen Innes) and you should find some nice Highlands to photograph.

Attachments

• copperhead 250 [1600x1200].jpg
    copperhead 250 [1600x1200].jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 66
  • copperhead 248 [1600x1200].jpg
    copperhead 248 [1600x1200].jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 63
A "felid trip" will only find you big cats, There's rumoured to be a Black Panther about there.... somewhere:).

Seriously, a bit more commonly encountered in low lying, wet areas closer to the coast (plenty on Mornington Peninsula it seems-check Baz's posts). If you're travelling back up to Gladstone and you take the New England Highway as opposed to the Coast Road, stop in at Lake Llangothlin (near Glen Innes) and you should find some nice Highlands to photograph.

Heard a lot about the "big cats" lol around kynton I believe? To many magic mushies if you ask me.

thanks for the info I'll deffinately check it out on the drive back, cheers.

Nearest spot to Bendigo for copperheads is a place called Sutton Grange. I'd suggest a brown

There is both the lowland and alpine copperhead, though both enjoy similar conditions, their dispersion pretty much covers the entire eastern half of Victoria.

I found a Lowland Copperhead today in a bushland reserve in Kyneton. I was in a group and we just walked within inches of it without it flinching. Only to have someone in the group notice as we passed over it. Sorry about the crappy picture, it was taken with my phone, but you can see the colours. It was quite small at probably about 1metre in total.

new_zps1e4d0971.jpg

A metre long copperhead is about average- certainly not a small one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back