Diamond Python and holidays

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

IzzyH

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old Diamond Python here at home on the Sunshine Coast and am going overseas for 5 weeks in June/July.
The missus reckons we should put her into a holiday home during our absence but I reckon with a good feed before we leave and the basking light on for 4 hours a day,she will be ok here at home.She is kept indoors .
What do you reckon? How do I get her ready for our absence ?

Cheers

If you have a way of checking in on her while you are gone and making sure everything is okay you can leave her at home, or you can give a freind the house key and just get them to top up the water and food etc. If only you were closer to me I wouldn't mind looking after her. But I'm a bit far away. xD. Or you could always just give her a big feed before you go put a big water bowel in there and leave her.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say get a friend to go and do weekly checks on her.

it will be mid winter and she should be very sedate to say the least so as long as someone could give her fresh water every 2nd day or so she would be best not to be move and disrupted her for that short period - if you feed her before you go just remember she will dirty the enclosure so you will need someone capable of cleaning it with in first week. By moving her to another place the risk of disease etc greatly increases as you are not in control of her enviroment then at least at home you have a certain amount of control of her husbandry.

I would suggest that fresh water would only be needed weekly, and feeding would be quite unnecessary for that period of time. These snakes sometimes go for many weeks in the wild without access to water without any harm - they're built for it. Many keeper with large collections offer water on a weekly basis, and this is perfectly adequate. Just get someone reliable to come in weekly to change the water for the snake.

Jamie

I have Diamonds and I go overseas alot - for up to 6 weeks at a time . I just dont feed for 2 weeks prior , fill water bowls up ( they are large ) , set timers for lights to come on for a few hours in the morning and a couple in the afternoon and just lock up the house and leave them .
It wont hurt the snakes at all to not be fed for 2 months , nor will it hurt them if the water bowl dries up after a month.
I dont feed them from April to September/October at all ...... and they still look exactly the same in September . You should consider doing the same .
Dont panic ! It will be ok.

Thanks everyone for your advise.I have been planning to feed her a few days before departure,take her on the grass for defecation and than leave her alone.Timer will be set for a few hours in the morning and that will be it.
hearing similar advise from you people is very reassuring.Thanks heaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back