First Timer making enclosure for a Cape York

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abrehaut

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be making an enclosure and buying a Cape York as a surprise birthday present for my wife. Any advice offered through this project would be much appreciated. First step was to cut out the sides to make this a decent sized habitat for our new addition to the household.
ab9efc84e8880717b034bc2ebf876a86.jpg

2180ed413e165d77defed0caf5a73144.jpg

c884c3f1375120a505ac9cc71c409f28.jpg

Nice piece of furniture. Your wife is going to get quite a surprise if she was fond of it!

It's very important to waterproof the timber and seal joins properly.

Thanks for the feedback. Just prior to the sealing, I'm going to get a large piece of 9mm plywood for the back. What is the best waterproofer to use? The centre is going to be framed with sliding glass about 6mm. I'm still wondering whether make one of the base cupboards into a hide. Thoughts? Talking to my local reptile shop, he was saying that for lighting I should equispace three 75w infrareds across the left hand side and a daylight midway across the right hand side. A thermostat set at approx 28 in the centre. Sounds about right for a cape york?

Yoou screw a peice of wood into the base cupboards so it makes like a box, then inside the box put a nice heatlamp inside it. With a access door from the side. Kind of like a hot box that he can just plop himself onto. You could also screw brackets into the back to like, hang hides off of. And on the hanging hides you could get some fake fern or something to cascade down off them!

I think you should get an LED light strip too to put into the top to illuminate the cage for veiwing too.

Seeing as that is a gorgeous peice of furniture you should go all out and make it a great centerpeice for the loungeroom or something.

Thanks for the feedback. Have put a new back on - 8mm mdf liquid nailed and screwed. No exits possible - hopefully!
a5d751f7270cb81f3323036f91331f3a.jpg

Have put the vents in and got the light fittings in place and electricals ready to go.
b19a663ce3269919771028e7e56668db.jpg

d0a835f7859985036b2ada84da3420c6.jpg

cf7af98c59adf71baeca3fa3df14f97d.jpg

Waiting for a third stain on the guards to match colour. Will get thermostat next week - fingers crossed. Then waterproof the bugger - that Cabolts stuff was pretty bloody expensive. Still thinking about the led strip lighting. Please keep up with the tips. [emoji3]

Lights are in and functional. Guards are in at the front. Light guards and waterproofing next.
3b705902fc5e718b51178930cc875eab.jpg

Home made light cages done. Total cost $17.
dd8a24f7e798333b4330b4958d662bad.jpg

Nearly finished my hide. Total cost $18.
d02f90b67e1ca7b16e3a96ba4b9ea8ed.jpg

a0e82c385c019c420feaa03bcb1194f0.jpg

LED Strip Lights

Yoou screw a peice of wood into the base cupboards so it makes like a box, then inside the box put a nice heatlamp inside it. With a access door from the side. Kind of like a hot box that he can just plop himself onto. You could also screw brackets into the back to like, hang hides off of. And on the hanging hides you could get some fake fern or something to cascade down off them!

I think you should get an LED light strip too to put into the top to illuminate the cage for veiwing too.

Seeing as that is a gorgeous peice of furniture you should go all out and make it a great centerpeice for the loungeroom or something.

Hey Beans. At your suggestion I have bought an LED strip light off eBay which has a remote control for changing the colours. Should look pretty cool!

Niiiiiiiiiice! That will look gorgeous. This is going to make quite the center peice for a room! Can't wait to see it all done! Those hides you did look awesome too. Keep up the excellent work mate!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Got the glass today. So excited. It now really looks like an enclosure!
a69717c3a7e177f86e1bdbbed5ddc686.jpg

Looks awesome so far! You should make a fake rock wall from styrofoam. Then grout it to make it look rocky anf then seal it with pond sealer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back