Vet in Perth for general checkup..any suggestions??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GilesColey

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Can anyone recommend a good reptile vet in Perth

I just wanted to get a checkup on Pepbles, our SWCP

Im in Yanchep in the northern suburbs

Any suggestions are appreciated

thanks

I use to use Wattle Grove when Tim Hyndman was there, though I think he is at Murdoch University now. Otherwise I've heard good things about Dr James Haberfield at The Unusual Pet Vet. I don't have any personal experience with James, but he is a a bit of a herper so has been into reptiles before he was a vet.

Hope this is helpful.

The information that BrownHash has supplied is very sound. Tim Hyndman is now a full-time lecturer/researcher at Murdoch uni but works 4 hours on weekends once a month at Wattelgrove Vets... at least he was the last time I chatted with him. Tim Oldfield at Wattlegrove is an ex herp keeper with extensive vet experience in reptiles. James H. has a strong interest in reptiles and a good reputation as a reptile vet. they would be your best bets north of the river.

Bluetongue21, thanks for that confirmation, really appreciate it

I wish there was something north of the river :rolleyes:

When you say you want to take your snake for a "checkup," is there a specific problem you want looked at? If all is well with the animal, there is nothing that such a checkup will tell you. Unlike dogs & cats which have their annual shots and a general health check at the same time, a vet will simply look at all the signs you, yourself, recognise as normal - alertness, tongue-flicking, skin condition and general demeanor, tell you that all is well, and relieve you of a big sum of money. You may well be exposing your animal to infection from other snakes previously at that vet. Unless there is a specific problem, such a checkup is pointless, other than to relieve your anxiety. Without symptoms of any kind, the visit will tell you nothing.

I certainly don't mean to be critical of reptile vets in any way, and I can say from personal experience in the past with both Tims at Wattle Grove, that they are excellent practitioners. (I sold Tim Hyndman his first snakes when I was a dealer in Perth, before he went on to Murdoch and further research - he's a delightful and very agreeable young man!).

It's obviously your choice, but it's worth giving some consideration to the points I've made above. If you know any well experienced keepers, you'd probably be better advised just to get one of those to run their eyes over your animal if you're anxious about its health.

Jamie

Jamie, thanks for that. I wont bother as it seems to be the general opinion on here, had a couple of private messages saying the same thing

She looks alert
Moves around a lot
Good skin condition
Eating well

thanks again everyone

The Unusual Pet Vet works out of Balcatta, which isn't too far a way from you considering you're practically in Geraldton.

Thanks Brownhash

Yeah I know, used to work in the city, but got a job in Butler now so a lot more convenient :)

You are likely aware of this but there are two vets in Balcatta - the one recommended and the Balcatta Veterinary Hospital. Just so there is no confusion if and when you do need to visit, they both utilise the same facilities (address and phone number) but offer separate services.

Yanchep to the City, eh? That's almost a cut lunch and water bottle journey. Butler is way much closer, especially with the Marmion Ave extension.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back