Childrens Python not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 38619

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello together,

my sons Children's Python which is now a little bit over one-year-old has stopped eating. Last meal three weeks ago hoppper rat which hardly left a bulge in him. The week after (he also sheed that week) I tried a normal size rat which he did not eat thought it may be too big so bought a small sized rat and tried to feed him today and while he's interested and smells it he won't take it. Temperature in cage is 30 degree and he seems to be happy otherwise.

I did a search for snake not eating but somehow it does not seem to work for me as I get no relevant posts.

It's becoming expensive as I always have to discard the thawed rats.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot

Steve

Last edited:
Hi thanks for that, will try the temperature already tried night (around 9pm)

Have had the same problem with my daughter's children but it's been about 4 months! Same as you, seems happy otherwise, but stopped feeding at the end of winter. Have changed temps a bit, tried feeding at different times of day, etc. but nothing has worked. I know he can last a long time so not too worried yet, I'm guessing he'll eat when he's ready. Was checked by vet a few weeks back and he said he couldn't find any problems. Maybe a hormonal or seasonal thing?? He's nearly 2 years old.

thanks Pony62, good to hear this does occur I guess will just offer once a week, so he/she seems hungry and looking for food may try mice again

How long have you been feeding rats? Could the presumed jump in size or change in prey item have anything to do with it? Most people have yearling antaresia on mice

Hi, happy to say he took a small rat today. Large mice would hardly leave a dent in him hence I thought they are to small.
Cheers
Steve

Hey Steve good to hear. You sure that's a Childrens and not a carpet?? Yearling childrens wont get anywhere near a small rat, or a hopper either I don't think. Our 2 yr old childrens is only on hopper mice. Either that or it's a bit older than one year!!

Hm bought it at a pet shop as children's so assume it is but it's probably a bit older maybe 1 1/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back