Could this be a snake enclosure?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigerlily

Reaction score
So my roughie is about a yearling now, and I want to upgrade his living space. I have a lot of time on my hands right now (and not a lot of money lol) so I'm considering making my own enclosure.

I have close to zero experience with DIY and I haven't gone through all the DIY threads yet, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask:

is this bookcase a decent candidate to be converted?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 156
Replace the doors with glass(sliding being easiest and cheapest), a light fitting on the top, air vents and it should be pretty a simple conversion.
Only hiccup being that it is probably waaaay too big for a yearling roughie...

Replace the doors with glass(sliding being easiest and cheapest), a light fitting on the top, air vents and it should be pretty a simple conversion.
Only hiccup being that it is probably waaaay too big for a yearling ...

Thanks arevenant, I just realised I would prefer to use this shelf to allow for vertical climbing. Would it work the same way, even though it's one of those very cheap shelves from Target? I guess I'm concerned about it being too flimsy, and the wood rotting or absorbing smells.

As for size, I could partition it until he grows big enough to need all the space? He's currently in a 50x37cm starmaid and is constantly prodding around looking for an escape route, I really think he could benefit from some extra height to climb. Or do you think he's ok in there for now? What I really want to do is put him in a bigger/deeper plastic storage box but I can never find ones that are clear enough to see in. The ones I've found are all too opaque...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 102
Thanks arevenant, I just realised I would prefer to use this shelf to allow for vertical climbing. Would it work the same way, even though it's one of those very cheap shelves from Target? I guess I'm concerned about it being too flimsy, and the wood rotting or absorbing smells.

As for size, I could partition it until he grows big enough to need all the space? He's currently in a 50x37cm starmaid and is constantly prodding around looking for an escape route, I really think he could benefit from some extra height to climb. Or do you think he's ok in there for now? What I really want to do is put him in a bigger/deeper plastic storage box but I can never find ones that are clear enough to see in. The ones I've found are all too opaque...

Your problem with the black one is both it's height and the backing board - the backing board is far to thin and can be easily pushed out - you'd need to replace it with 6-9mm ply board or something similar.
The problem with it's height is the glass requirement - you'd need 6+mm thick glass for panes that size, which would make them weigh a ton and make the book shelf front heavy and prone to tipping.
It simply doesn't have the depth required for an adequate enclosure, and effectively heating it would be a nightmare.

Check through the DIY section here, or look on Youtube - there are hundreds of enclosure build vids there...

Your problem with the black one is both it's height and the backing board - the backing board is far to thin and can be easily pushed out - you'd need to replace it with 6-9mm ply board or something similar.
The problem with it's height is the glass requirement - you'd need 6+mm thick glass for panes that size, which would make them weigh a ton and make the book shelf front heavy and prone to tipping.
It simply doesn't have the depth required for an adequate enclosure, and effectively heating it would be a nightmare.

Check through the DIY section here, or look on Youtube - there are hundreds of enclosure build vids there...

Just what I needed to know. Thanks for your advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back