varanus scalaris

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Imported_tuatara

Varanus S.Pewellensis

The red blotched tree monitor. is their care any different to normal Varanus S.kuranda/varanus scalaris? temparement? ideal enclosure set up? heating, lighting? enclosure size? etc? cheers in advance.
  2. Sheldoncooper

wanted varanus scalaris

General Description Looking for varanus scalaris female or pairs Location Melbourne Willing to pay for Freight? Yes Contact Details 0433263742 Other Details
  3. Ekans

What's your holy grail of reptiles?

What's that one native snake, lizard, invertebrate etc that you want to someday own but your skill, its care is slightly intimidating or its rarity is holding you back? :)
  4. A

Juvenile Lace Monitor Sexing

Hi guys Recently got my first Lacey. He's around a month old and owner wasn't able to confirm sex. I'm hoping for male but any way to tell for sure at this point? Here's a couple pics if it helps. Cheers.
  5. phatty

Varanus scalaris set ups

hi want to see peoples Varanus scalaris set ups or any other arboreal species thanks in advance
  6. GeckPhotographer

Kimberley Australia

So over most of January and February of this year I was staying in the southern Kimberley region of Western Australia. I was here to assist an honours student working on V. panoptes and while this took up most of each day I also managed to get around a little of the local station I was staying...
  7. Tari-Q

Spotted Tree Monitor For Sale

Scientific Name Varanus scalaris Common Name Spotted Tree Monitor Age 10 Months Quantity Available 1 General Description Young, unsexed Spotted Tree Monitor. Typical of species and very flighty. Eats well on crickets and pinkie mice. Willing to sell enclosure as well for a negotiable...
  8. A

Spotted Tree Monitor or Lace Monitor?

Hi, I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I'm merging my pictures for a trip report ;-) Is this a Varanus scalaris or a Varanus varius? I took this picture in Atherton Tablelands... Thanks, Alexandra
  9. Stuart

Small Monitor ID

Hi All, I have limited knowledge in monitors (planning on changing that) and I was wondering if the below chap can please be identified? The photo is old I know, but I have been seeing more of these guys around and wouldn't mind knowing what they are and doing some reading up on them.
  10. phatty

please id found this in my pool today

11. T

West Arnhem Varanus scalaris

Yesterday wandering through the bush I witnessed a real life drama. A story of unrequited love and a damsel who flung herself from a great height to avoid unwanted advances. Okay, I have a vivid imagination, but it is in essence what happened. A lizard ran across in front of me, larger than...
  12. S

QUICK What lizard can I breed and make lots of loot out off???

heh... Just joking...:o Heres some random Lizard pics for APS. Knocked up northern: Central beardie: Tails in a log: Knocked up Laevis : Woolde yellow spotted: Lizard shedin: And WA marm leaking eggs:
  13. Colin

Indonesia remains epicenter for illegal wildlife trade in reptiles and amphibians

Indonesia remains epicenter for illegal wildlife trade in reptiles and amphibians Indonesia remains epicenter for illegal wildlife trade in reptiles and amphibians By: Liz Kimbrough October 24, 2012 Demand for exotic pets is driving the illegal harvest and trade of herpetofauna (reptiles and...
  14. P

Aussie Monitors

Following on from my thread on Aussie Snakes which can be seen here - http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/field-herping-reptile-studies-5373/aussie-snakes-190769/ - I thought I'd put up a thread on some of the monitor lizards that I have also encountered on my herping travels. I haven't seen a...
  15. mattG

Monitors x2

Scientific Name Varanus tristis & Varanus scalaris Common Name Black-headed monitor & Spotted tree monitor Age 5 Size Quantity Available 1 of each Bred By General Description Location Beerwah, Sunshine coast Willing to Freight? nup Contact Details 0434 928 701 License...
  16. S

Favourite Monitor?

I just want to ask people what are your favourite monitor lizard? Mine would have to be Perentie.
  17. Ryant16

can someone ID this monitor i found

hi guys, found this little, what i assume to be a monitor in my back yard in this tub of water. i have googled abit and i want to say its a water monitor but my knowledge only extends to snakes and i know nothing about lizards or monitors. it does seem very lathargic and doesnt move much...
  18. KREPS2011

Monitor Spotted NSW

I have spotted a monitor today that is not local to this area. I did try to catch it but ended up a tree. If someone has lost a monitor are catherine fields area and can name what type of monitor and roughly how big it is. I can show last known location. Pm me with all enqiures
  19. F

Wild Monitor

They may not be mine but gotta love being able to go to the national park and have reptiles that comfortable with people. They made my day
  20. R

Any Guess - Monitor

Hi All, I caught this little fella running around my house yesterday any ideas on what type of monitor he is?
  21. C

juvinile lacey

Hi folks just wondering is wet dog food ok for my bells lacey its 60cm long and weights 100 grams
  22. XKiller

NT Spotted tree monitor, V.Scalaris

Scientific Name Varanus scalaris Common Name Spotted tree monitor Age 5 years Sex male Size Quantity Available 1 Price 300 Bred By General Description Nice V.scalaris not the best of temperment's will eat anything in frount of him does have a small scar on his...
  23. souldoubt

spotted tree monitor

I want to get a spotted tree monitor in the near future, but its become apparent to me that good info on keeping spotted tree monitors isn't easy to come by - I can find bits and pieces but nothing as indepth as a care sheet etc I was wondering if anyone has any good links or care sheets they...
  24. R

Spotted Tree Monitor

Scientific Name V. scalaris Common Name Spotted Tree Monitors Age Adult Sex Pair Size Quantity Available 1 pair Price $1600 Bred By General Description Adult breeding pair of spotted tree monitors, have produced clutches the last two seasons. Feeding very well...
  25. Bushfire

Varanus scalaris Complex

The spotted tree monitor species group is something I'm quite interested of late. I heard a few years ago L.Smith of the WA museum was working on the group, has anything come about this of late? There are a few interesting forms about. The strongly banded type from Western Kimberley, pictured...
  26. TrevorJ

Spotted Python Kills What Lizard

And seriously, are its eyes way to big for its belly? It's going to take a while to digest that. I went to check out what it was heaps of birds were making a fuss about out in the paddock. At first I couldn't see anything then the lizard head appeared amongst the grass. At that stage I didn't...
  27. nico77

enclosure and jungle pics

I thought i would put up some pics of the enclosure i am in progress of making and a few of my new arivals . The enclosure is made from 2 pallets i scored at work , i used the ply tops from them and the back ground foam came from fruit and veg shops (free) the only money spent so far was on 2...
  28. Funkstaa

Pellewensis (spotted tree monitor)

I've been googling and looking through threads for the last few days as I was looking at buying a yellow spotted monitor, but am thinking I can't find much info and it's too big to start off with for my first monitor - still haven't 100% decided though... I have come across the spotted tree...
  29. contos

some unusual captives?

i keep seeing people posting photos of their new beardie or water dragon but does anyone keep any "unusual" captives like chameleon dragons or ornate dragons? pics would be mad :)
  30. affroalex

varanus scalaris

Scientific Name varanus scalaris Common Name Age 6 months Sex unknown Size about 20-25cm Quantity Available 3 Price 1000 the lot or $400 each Bred By geckodan General Description three nice little scalaris, they are kuranda form, they are very active little...
  31. camt44

Varanus scalaris q's...

Hey, just came across a thread about these guys, and thought they looked pretty awesome, exactly what I was wanting in a monitor... However before I get too carried away with wanting them: Are they a class 1 in NSW? How much do you generally pay for them? I have been trying to find my sheet on...
  32. S

Adult Male Mertens & Female Scalaris

I am looking for a healthy adult Male Mertens Water Monitor and a Female Spotted Tree Monitor. Thanks Matt
  33. affroalex

monitors

hi i just thought i would put some pictures up of some of my montiors, the first two pics are of my varanus scalaris rainforest cage, the majority of the plants are real. the second is of my female mangrove monitor and the last is of my juvy yellow spotted monitor, i have his parents as well...
  34. buck

Varanus scalaris "pellewensis" trio

Scientific Name Varanus scalaris pellewensis Common Name Spotted Tree monitor - pellewensis form Red blotched monitor Age 5yrs Sex 2 female, 1 male Length Adult Quantity Available trio General Description I have for sale a breeding 1m/2f trio of these rare in captivity...
  35. affroalex

new rainforest enclosure

hi i just thought i would post some pics of my new rainforest style enclosure it 1m wide 1.9 high and 0.9deep, i am hopefully putting a pair or trio of Ocellated Rainforest Monitor (varanus scalaris) kuranda form, in there. i still have to put the mesh and door on and put substrate in...
  36. blakehose

Monitors

Hi all, Since getting my second python, I have decided that I would like to get a monitor as my third and final herp until I move out of home. Though it is a tough decision as I don't have a whole lot of knowledge as to which species would be suitable, housing requirements etc. I would like...
  37. moloch05

Tropical Queensland, Cape York

This report covers the animals that we saw along the road between Cooktown and the Iron Range. The drive takes about 8 hours or so. The road is mostly dirt with a few sections of paved road. The dirt track up Cape York is well maintained but dusty. We could average between 80-90kph over most...
  38. Serpentes

Some NQ Herps

Poor quality pics taken from video, but thought someone might find them interesting. All these critters were found between Townsville and Cairns. Saw plenty more but wasn't too busy with the camera sorry. Couple more scrubbies, many brown tree snakes, couple of slatey-greys, snall-eyed snakes...
  39. gecko-mad

how much? snakes and monitors this time

same question as last time (what are their average prices?) but different reptiles, snakes: Antaresia childreni-Children’s Python Antaresia maculosus-Spotted Python Antaresia perthensis-Pygmy Python Antaresia stimsoni-Stimson’s Python Aspidites melanocephalus-Black-headed Python Aspidites...
  40. Callopistes

Monitor pictures-Thread

Hi, I have not a monitor :cry:but I want to see our monitors :Dand the cages of the monitors
  41. Reptilian66

Show us your Sand Monitor's.

l please would like to get to see some photo's, of other Reptile Keepers who keep Sand Monitor's, so we can learn more about them, and how they look from different locations around Australia, so if you know where your Sand Monitor come from in the wild natually, please state the name of the...
  42. bredli-sli

ridgies!!!! help

hey guys i really need photos for a ridge tailed monitor! it come in two weeks!!! thanks guys, its a 4ft long 2 ft high and 3 ft deep, is that a good size?
  43. smacdonald

Days 9 to 11: Atherton Tablelands

After Tully, we headed to the Atherton Tablelands. We spend three nights there, during which time we saw a ton of stuff. We went to: Millaa Millaa Falls, Malanda Falls, the Curtain Fig, Lake Barrine, Wooranooran National Park, Mobo Creek Crater, Chambers Eco-Lodge, Yungaburra. Here are...
  44. TWENTY B

Monitors, adult size, weight, temperement chart..

After having ackies for a little while as my 1st monitor like most people do, now i've decided i'd like something a bit larger eventually leading up to lacies or perenties. So, I'd like a little help on deciding and i'm sure alot of other people would be interested in also knowing This...
  45. herpkeeper

for the scrubbie lovers

here's a few of the many scrubbies Browns and i encountered over the last few days herping around the Cardwell, Tully area, the biggest one was around 15 feet ! enjoy ;)
  46. Australis

Season start - Brigalow Belt QLD

Seeing as i moaned and complained at the lack of a field forum here on this website - i should at least contribute something to it. Season start - Brigalow Belt QLD After a bitterly cold winter here in the Brigalow Belt with many sub-zero nights the warmer weather has been a long time...
  47. Sdaji

Locality / Purity. Why Does It Matter?

I've spent most of my time as a reptile keeper being passionate about locality purity, however, I have no idea why I care. I used to like the idea of having an animal which was representative of what you might find in the wild. Something which looked and behaved like a wild animal, a piece of...
  48. c moore

Varanus Scalaris

Scientific Name Varanus Scalaris Common Name Spotted Tree Monitors Age Adults Sex Male & Female Length Approx 20cm Quantity Available 3 , breeding Trio. 1m,2f Bred By General Description Nth Qld Rainforest form, much prettier than NT form. Location Newcastle...
  49. FNQ_Snake

HerpSaver 2008

Well here it is everyone. After toiling on this project for nearly three weeks I am ready to release the highly anticipated screen saver I have been working on. As you can tell by the title of this thread I have opted to call it HerpSaver 2008. There is a readme file attached within the file...
  50. Nephrurus

Kimberley Wildlife Surveys, once more with feeling

Ahoi there folks, I've just been up in the far NW of WA partaking in some fauna surveys. Needless to say we turn up some fairly special looking creatures. I've also just bought a new camera, so I took it up there with a view to learn how to use it. Unfortunately it still is somewhat...
Back