varanus gouldii flavirufus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Lukecee

Gouldii monitor food amount

my gouldii flav is now approx 10 weeks old, very cocky and always ready to eat, hardly spends anytime hiding these days unless it's night time. He has been happily smashing between 7 - 10 crickets a day and seems like he wants more. Am I over feeding, underfeeding or ...? At this age can I just...
  2. Lukecee

Age to acquire baby monitors

I am about to get a new gouldii flav but he is only a month old at the moment, I have the option to wait as long as I please before picking him up from the breeder. Is it safer to wait a while incase of any early health issues , and how long should i wait, what is the ideal age to acquire. Cheers
  3. Lukecee

gouldii Flav enclosure size

ill be getting a baby flavirufus soon which will go into a 4 x 2 x 2, being the smaller of the sand goannas would this size enclosure be ok for adulthood or safer to upsize in future ?
  4. L

Sand monitor growth

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what the growth rate of a sand monitor is and the size they get. I know they get around 140cm but how stocky do they get the google pics are ****. Thanks
  5. E

Best dragon for handling and good temperament?

hey, buying new lizard and id like something that has a good temperament and doesnt mind being handled and can stay out of the cage without any problems. Something like an iguana would be ideal but obviously not a viable option. -likes being handled -largish -nice appearance (colour/crests etc)...
  6. Charliewaffles

Id this monitor

Wondering if any one can tell me is it Gould or flav?
  7. RedFox

monitor by the pool

So I just saw this monitor basking on the rocks beside the pool. I only had my phone with me so the pics are shocking. I am in Alice Springs. It was about 60cm from nose to tip of tail.
  8. Rocket

Regulated taking of wildlife.

Now, I don't know if this has been done before so forgive me if it has. Also, this is strictly an opinion-based thread so there is no need to get all "huffy and puffy" and cause a virtual riot. In light of recent... stories in regards to smuggling and illegal removal of herpetofauna from the...
  9. Monitor_Keeper

Sand monitor

I am going to be getting a sand monitor and i realize how big they can get ( up to 1.3m? ) so of course am building an outside pit. I was thinking 3m by 4m but if this is too small what would suit it better? ( It is for 1 adult ). Also for the pit i know the basics of how to construct one but...
  10. kr0nick

Spencers vs lace monitors?

Hi all I have been reading a few old posts about keeping both these species and both crocdoc and serpent tounge have metioned that spencers monitors have a lesser arsenal of weaponary. But I don't quite understand could someone please explain the differences and pros and cons of each if you have...
  11. Tristis

V.Gouldii Flavirufus & Sand Fire Ackies

Scientific Name Common Name sand monitors and ridge tailed monitors Age 1-2 months Quantity Available a few Bred By me General Description young varanus gouldii flavirufus $450ea 2 sand fire ridgetails $350pr Pm me for more details. will swap for gtp Location...
  12. GeckPhotographer

Please Post Monitor Enclosure Pictures

Hi am getting some monitors soon. V.gilleni. Would really love to see enclosures of monitors people have mostly just of the smaller species like Gillen's. Thanks in advance.
  13. blakehose

Gouldii Flavirufus

G'day all, The reason I make this thread is that I am interested in how other Gouldii owners have faired in taming their monitors. I've owned mine now for around 7-8months and have done everything by the book when it comes to building their trust and eventually making them amendable to...
  14. Torah

Indoor Monitor Enclosures

Hi just interested in seeing how everyone has their monitors enclosures .... I did a search but couldnt find much so hoping for some pix .... Please :)
  15. Tolly

Target training monitors

G'day, Im wanting to know if any of you that own monitors particularly medium to large ones, have tried or had any success with target food training? Ive seen this done in videos of zoo keepers and other private keepers. Also other than target training, are there any routines you use when...
  16. lizardman59

some cool herps in my yard

check these out hopefully it works share yours to:D
  17. blakehose

Monitor progress

Hi all, Well it's always nice to see some positive progress in your animals - and this little Sandie is coming along well. I've had him for a few months - he started off very nervous as all small monitors tend to, but is now coming along in leaps and bounds. It will run right up almost to my...
  18. J

Far SWQ Lizzies need ID

Found these critters while @ work can someone shed some light on what they are as Lizzies aren't really my thing? Although these were both really cool in that they alowed me up really close. The little fella sprinted on his back legs for ages B4 coming to rest.
  19. Andrais

harder and harder to find

Is it just me or are female beardies becoming difficult to find? im talking about SA and some other states too and if they do happen to be on sale they are gone very fast :evil: i am getting so frustrated trying to find one lol, i reckon GTP's are becoming more common. Where are all our female...
  20. PhilK

Which Monitor Next?

Hey all, I have that 'no new herp' void in my life at the moment.. Went over to my mate's place last night and saw his brand new rough scale python babies... His two BHPs he ordered weren't ready so he got given roughies instead... damn him. Anyway the whole thing really made me want new...
  21. blakehose

Outdoor monitor enclosure

G'day all, I'm looking to get a monitor soon and was originally looking at getting an ackie, but since have been given the go ahead on an outdoor enclosure so I wouldn't mind getting something a bit bigger like a mertens. Though with the freezing winters here I'm wondering what would be the...
  22. naivepom

Keelbacks feeding and monitors fighting

Hi all, I have been fortunate over the last week to see two things I have been hoping to photograph for ages - reptiles feeding and fighting. I was pretty excited when I saw these so thought I'd share them....
  23. jinin

Sandy pit

please feel free to point out any faults or anything as im new to pit building 8].. Im finally starting on my new Sand Monitor pit, my sandy is about 8mnths now and is out growing his tank, the pit i have started on is roughly 3mx2m but its in a corner, it is about 3-4 times the size of his...
  24. B

juvi sandie enclosure

i pick up my 3 month old sandie 2moro. i wanted to show you guys the setup i have put together and get some advice on it. the log and rocks are all on the base of the enclosure and are surrounded by a 50/50 mis of red sand and brickies sand. the basking spot has a 50W downlight about 20cm from...
  25. jinin

My Sand Monitor

Hi. I would like to show you guys my new sand monitor. Hes a juvenile and i have only had him for 3 weeks. Heres Some Pics:
  26. jinin

Sand Monitors

Hi, Im Planning to eventually get 2 x Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus (Desert Sand Monitor). Any Way Im After some info on them i have read up on the internet but just wondering any thing else. Im planning to build an outside enclosure for them that is roughly 5mx6m. Thankyou For your input. Where...
  27. lightning

Varanus Gouldii Gouldii & Gouldii Flavirufus

Other than size what are the differences between Varanus Gouldii Gouldii and Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus. If pictures could be posted i'd really apreciate it.
  28. TWENTY B

Hatchie Sand Monitor Setup

Thanks to antmisk i have 4 little sandies coming in a few weeks i was hoping some of you could help me setup for the little monsters. i have a 4x2x2 tank for them to start of in. (fish tank) i'll get some brickies sand & red desert sand, 50/50 mix? how deep? I have heaps of slate from when i...
  29. Reptilian66

Olive Python

This morning l woke up and walk into my kitchen, and what do l see my beautiful 12 foot long female Olive Python (Olivera) stretched out across my kitchen bench and stove, was she telling me she wants to be cooked for lunch or dinner, l sincerely hope not.
  30. Callopistes

Monitor pictures-Thread

Hi, I have not a monitor :cry:but I want to see our monitors :Dand the cages of the monitors
  31. reptiledude1

Monitor thread

Hi everyone show us your monitors and there enclosures lets make a big monitor thread.cheers
  32. Reptilian66

Show us your Sand Monitor's.

l please would like to get to see some photo's, of other Reptile Keepers who keep Sand Monitor's, so we can learn more about them, and how they look from different locations around Australia, so if you know where your Sand Monitor come from in the wild natually, please state the name of the...
  33. Reptilian66

Desert Sand Monitor

Scientific Name Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus Common Name Desert Sand Monitor Age Unknown Sex 1 female 2 males Length 85 to 110cm Quantity Available 3 Bred By N / A General Description l have 1 female and 2 male Desert Sand Monitor's, that all were collected on permit from...
  34. taylor111

lace monitor q's

hey i am looking at geting a lace monitor and was wondering if a 3m x 4m x2.5m cage would be ok for an aduld
  35. Reptilian66

indoor enclosure for my adult Sand Monitor.

l have posted a photo of my indoor Sand Monitor enclosure, that is 6 foot square and has walls that a 2 foot high and can be extended to 3 foot high. This photo is posted for (DA GRIZ) so he can get some idear of the size of my indoor enclosure l keep my adult male Sand Monitor in. or anyone...
  36. Rainbow-Serpent

Whats your favourite herp?

Hiya! Whats your favourite herp out of the options above? Mine would have to be the scrubbie:lol: Umm and I dont know many people that would sell an 11yr old a Scrub when their parents didnt know, so if anyone has any unwanted scrubbies give me a pm, just dont ring my parents:shock:;)...
  37. B

reptile setup contest sort of

post pics of your setups
  38. Reptilian66

Outdoor Enclosure For Medium Size Monitor's.

l just want to share some photo's of my ourdoor enclosure, that l keep my Desert Sand Monitor's in all year around here in Melbourne Victoria. So if any of you are planning on building a ourdoor enclosure for your Monitor's or Dragon's, this will give you some idear in building a outdoor...
  39. varanophile

Varanus gouldii flavirufus distribution

Hi all, I was hoping someone could give me an accurate description of desert sand monitors range in WA. In particular how close they get to the coastline. Thanks in advance.
  40. salebrosus

Road Killed Monitor-panoptes or gould's?

Driving through a back road near my place, i noticed a dead monitor on the road. The road is only about 80km max and red dirt with lots of rocks. Well someone hit this poor little guy ut on closer inspection we were debating the species, gould's or panoptes. The three books i have here don't...
  41. tooben

varanus gouldii flavirufus (sand goanna)

hi about a month ago i got a sand goanna that hasnt got many claws and never flicks his tongue. i was wondering as i never asked the guy i got him off. how stupid of me. what could have caused these problems? i love him so much . i was wondering if some people cut there claws back so they dont...
  42. mitchdiamond

Identify this Monitor.

Can anyone identify this Monitor? It was taken at Gooniwiiggal reserve in Inverell. I'm thinking it's Varanus gouldi gouldi. Thanks in advance. Mitch
  43. kev

Desert Sand Monitor Eggs.

l have 4 Desert Sand Monitor (Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus) eggs out of 8, that were laid on the 6 of October 2006. How do they look, l know there is still 4 and a half months of incubation to go, before they should start to hatch. They can take 210 to 250 days. Any answer or advice would be much...
  44. stary boy

mini monitors

what are those little mini tiny monitors called that dont grow very big? also anyone have ppics?
  45. junglemad

Uluru, Olgas, Kings Canyon and area trip

Hi Everyone. I am planning a trip to the centre and i would like to hear from members who have been to these places and can offer me some advice on what creatures i am likely to see, where and when. Point me in the right direction because I want to take more photos than a Japanese...
  46. Simon_Archibald

Monitors in Captivity

Hi all, Lately I've become quite interested (basically to the point of obsession) with Australian Monitors - there's not a species I don't like!!! I'm just wondering what monitors people here keep/breed. Also, if you have friends or people you know who breed monitors and would let you splash...
Back