moloch horridus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. C

Behind the Scenes at Melbourne Museum

So today I spent time behind the scenes with Simon Hinkley, Peter Mariot, Patrick, and Wendy (last names unknown) at Melbourne Museums live exiberts and entomolgy departments. I also spent time within the museum befire heading behind the scenes looking at a variety if displays from medical to...
  2. Ekans

What's your holy grail of reptiles?

What's that one native snake, lizard, invertebrate etc that you want to someday own but your skill, its care is slightly intimidating or its rarity is holding you back? :)
  3. C

NT herps

Hi, so there is a good chance I will be doing a massive road trip next year up through SA (going through coober pedy) and into the NT so Alice springs, Simpson desert, Ayers rock and right up to the top for some barra fishing (and hopefully some croc spotting). I was just hoping for some...
  4. B

A list of every pet lizard you can keep in Australia.

Hey reptile lovers, Just asking for everyone's help to compile a list of every lizard in Australia that can be kept as a pet. Any response will be great Thanks all, Brando
  5. BrownHash

Western Australian Herps

I've been going through a few of my photos from the last year or two and decided I need to sort them out and post them. Here are a few to get started... and I'll upload a few more over the next day or two. Enjoy... ...and a shot of Coral Bay to finish off Mike
  6. D

Mentors sought!

Hi there, I'm Jo. This is my first post, about my first ever snake. I'm green as grass & am feeling a little clueless about a few things mostly feeding / shedding cycles & thought I'd ask you experts for your thoughts. I bought this beautiful 8yo Vic Murray Darling girl on 4th November from a...
  7. J

Where oh where to herp in Australia in October?

Hello fellow herpers! I am new to posting on this forum, though I have been herping for a long time, with the results shown on my website http://wildherps.com. (Also, I've posted a fair amount on http://fieldherpforum.com under the name Ribbit, but I thought I'd come straight to the source...
  8. Rocket

2014 so far...

2014 has been reasonably good to me so far in regards to the herping trips I have been on. I just wanted to show some of them off... although I'm quite the dreadful photographer. Regardless, here they are. Lucasium damaeum - beaded gecko. Nephrurus deleani - Pernatty knob-tailed gecko...
  9. richoman_3

Herp Trip to South Australia

Well last Tuesday night after watching some epic cricket, matthew (pythonwner or some boring name like that on here) got ready to get up at 4am to get a flight to Adelaide. Arriving at Adelaide we met up with JP from QLD and waited for shawn (rocket) to pick us up. We went to his house and saw...
  10. GeckPhotographer

Herp pics (warning - pic rich!)

So this thread is composed of a bunch of reptile pics I've taken since back in October, through to now over a couple different trips. First off was a short night up around Newcastle with a couple of friends. This Rough-scale was one of the few snakes out on the road. Tropidechis carinatus...
  11. N

Greetings Earthlings.... New dude here to get involved in the reptile world

Hey all Names David, I'm from Mt Druitt now living in Campbelltown. Have an interest in Eastern Water Dragons, Eastern Longneck Turtles.... An long term want to get involved in Green tree snakes. Would love to conquer the ownership & survival of a Thorny Devil ( Almost impossible I know ) So...
  12. GeckPhotographer

Awesome Winter Herping

So it's winter. I hate winter. It's cold, wet, bleak and worst of all, all of the reptiles around me become inactive. Fortunately over the past couple weeks I managed to escape some of winter. These are some finds from the Simpson Desert of far western Qld. Disclaimer: It is is illegal to...
  13. Niall

Pilbara Trip a few months ago.

Hi Everyone. Been ages since ive been on here, went through the Field Herping Forum and its lacking colour! Heres a few things to brighten it up a bit ;) boring looking Central Netted Dragon Ctenophorus nuchalis we found along the dirt track. On the way into Carnarvon we found a Thorny...
  14. Dutchy88

If I'm jelious you have to be too.

So my LITTLE brother some how scored this job doing camel tours in Uluru and knowing how much I love my herps he has done abit of herping himself just to rub it in so I figure if I have to be jelly so does everyone else just a few of the pics he has sent me so far. jelly much!!
  15. A

omg ants... i hate them.

hey, today i came out to say hello to my turtles and i was stunned to see ants have eaten away all the silicone at the joints of my 6 foot tank and made some sort of nest in the corners of the tank.... i couldn't believe it so i killed them all which made me a little bit happier but now if i...
  16. Levold

What did you get today at the VHS Expo?

I got some rats and a possible female kimberly phase norrhern bluey. Kind of glad I didnt splurge on an albino darwin hatchy. Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
  17. ReptileMad_98

What is your favourite Australian reptile?

Ill start off, either the olive python or the inland taipan :D.
  18. pythonmum

Black ants invade hatchy rack - anyone else had this happen?

This morning when I checked on my hatchlings, about half of the click clicks had tiny black ants in them. The ants were not bothering the snakes, but seemed to be concentrating on the water bowls. I went into a cleaning frenzy, popping hatchlings into their travel containers and thoroughly...
  19. Reptiles4me

Devilish devil

Hi guys I'm really keen on getting a thorny devil but know nothing about keeping or even obtaining one. So could you help me out here its really starting to bother me.
  20. TheReptileben

Herping laws

when herping I like to make videos am I aloud to pick up animals to get good close up footage of them? (I realease them of course)
  21. News Bot

Soft-shelled turtles urinate through mouth

Turtles spend most of their lives in water, but why do these air breathing animals immerse their heads in puddles for hours at a time when their watery homes dry up? Researchers have discovered that the animals have to rinse their mouths with water in order to excrete urea: the animals are...
  22. A

The massive desert display tank

We are still fine tuning but our 8x4x3ft high desert tank but it is nearly done. Just need to find something interesting to go in it. Any ideas?
  23. V

What's on your wishlist?

Hi Everyone, Just curious as to know what your "Reptile" wishlist is? I have noticed a few people talk about their wishlist, I cannot find any threads though. My Wishlist is: 1 Male NT BHP. Ocellate BHP's Chondro's Most Pythons actually :P RBB Mainland Tiger Snake De Vis's Banded Snake Greater...
  24. HerperBaz

Where art thou thorny devil?

No I haven't mistaken this for a dating website (bad joke), I am quite curious as to whether Moloch horridus or the t/horny devil is able to be held as a pet on a certain license. I can imagine they would be quite hard to look after as they only have one or two food sources which are not very...
  25. miss_mosher

People are smart

Just some awesome magazine clippings we like to keep on our fridge for a laugh :D
  26. M

What is most expesive dragon?

I have been thinking about breeding and selling a dragon species but I first wanted to know what would be the best one to make good money from so I'm Lookin at things like a type of dragon with a high selling price, easy to keep and easy to breed. Ta
  27. Niall

A Pilbara Trip that Stood Out From the Rest.

Hi Everyone. For the past 10 days I and 3 others have been on a trip throughout the Pilbara. First up was the big drive from Perth to Robe River, Pannawonica and was expected to arrive at 8:30pm. As most would know not all plans go the way you want them to and this one didn’t, just before the...
  28. cagey

Great Pictures

This webpage has some great pictures of reptiles and other animals from the Tanami Desert. I particularly like the banded snake and the thorny devil.... enjoy The Tanami Desert | Stewed Thoughts
  29. S

Help Identifying This Lizard, + some other pics from work

Hi I do invertebrate surveys for a living and often find reptiles in the traps. Just wondering if anyone knows what the first lizard is, it was found in the goldfield in WA. The rest of the pics are just from various other field trips. Sorry about the quality of the pics they are taken with...
  30. Reptile_Maniac

What is the HARDEST herp to care for?

Hey everyone, Recently the well disputed topic amongst herpers came to my mind- What is the HARDEST herp to care for? I am interested in knowing your opinion as owners! I would like you to include Lizards, Snakes, Turtles and Frogs! Thanks, James
  31. S

Thorny devil husbandry plan?

Does anyone know if there are any already in existance? As in one that can be used as a basic outline for creating our own husbandry plan to submit to NT parks service. I have a week to get one together, there are devils in the incubator that have tentatively got our name on them if we can...
  32. S

Thorny devils are go!

I had the most awesome conversation with my boss today. He's very keen to assist me to attempt to create a thorny devil enclosure. At this stage we plan to do it on my property( we both felt it would work better that way due to staffing inconsistencies, etc at the park as it would allow us to...
  33. Hyper

Hey Hey

Hey everyone... I've been browsing this site for a while and thought I should introduce myself. I've loved reptiles my whole life, my parents were members of NPWS and we went on bushwalks every other weekend. I currently have a 4 and a half year old Diamond Python (I named her pebbles, but my 4...
  34. S

thorny devils

So I have a question, if one could somehow solve the issue of massive numbers of ants being needed is it actually possible to get a hold of these guys in the pet trade? I am in the midst of landscaping my property and putting in enclosures for all my animals and would love to install a lovely...
  35. Bushman

Reptile doco

There's an awesome David Attenborough doco on reptiles and amphibians on ABC 1 right now!
  36. S

dragons, beardies and devils

i have a couple of questions. First, do jacky dragons eat the mealworm beetles? Also, i am looking for a couple of red beardies and a thorny devil..any suggestions on where to start looking, especially for the devils? I live in the melb/geelong area.
  37. B

How complicated is it to farm ants at a level that they could be used as food?

Gday Folks, Just doing a bit of preliminary research into the issue, how easy is it to farm ants to a sustainable level that they could be used to feed an individual Thorny Devil? Any suggestions, stories or what ever would be appreciated Cheers Tom
  38. blueyman

thorny devils

hey everybody, does any body keep thorny devils? if so could you please post some pics to look at :) cheers cam
  39. jedohara

what is a good start off snake???

what would be the better strat off snake a spotted python or a diamond or something else ??? thanks
  40. H

bandy bandy

Hi all, i don't know if this has been done before but has anyone got a bandy bandy or do people breed them ??? Whats their status ???? cheers :)
  41. The Reptile Outlet

S & T Issue 17 - All posted to subscribers

By now most subscribers should have the latest Issues of Scales & Tails Australia. Our current stockists will be receiving their copies over the next couple of days and by the end of the week it should be on sale in newsagencies right around the country. Highlights from this issue include...
  42. calebs92

plans for all you reptile lovers.

what snake or other reptiles are you planning to get. im planning a murray darling or some type of carpet python next and my brother planing to get a blue tongue or a different lizard of some sort
  43. B

photo's of the devil

Hey all.... a little beauty found north of Kalgoorlie. WA D. Bloomfield
  44. Exotic_Doc

Tattooss!!

Hey Guys, So im a tattooaholic, got my first one at 16 and now have 10 all up. Im having a Red Bellied Black snake added tomorrow to my existing sleeve to match a phoenix that is already on there. Alot of people frown on the idea of a vet student with tattoos but i say times have changed and it...
  45. C

Lizard ID

My mum wants me to get this lizard that grows to only about 15cm and is bright orange and lives somewhere in the desert areas haha.
  46. pepsi111

thorny devil ?

hey people I was wondering if you can... Actually keep thorny devils in Australia? If so do you need a special licence? cheers
  47. G

These Geckos are soooo cute

Firstly, a pair of Diplodactylus granariensis granariensis that had just finished shedding... Secondly, a Gehyra purpurascens that gave me a surprise by walking out of the bore...
  48. G

Ring tailed Bicycle Dragon

I saw this little fella and HEAPS of his brothers and sisters about 80km East of Laverton about 2 months ago, I was operating a Ditch Witch trencher and these guys (and other species), would come right up to me to check me out.
  49. F

Exporting Australian Reptiles - A naiv point of view?

Hello Reptile Keepers in Down Under, i am from Germany and keep Reptiles since i was 15 teen Years old (now i am 38). Many times i see bearded Dragons in our Reptile Shops and Ackie Monitors. Some Day they were different type of Colorforms in one Reptiles Shop the so called Red ackies and the...
  50. ramzee86

You don't need a great camera! (Jungle Carpet Python)

These shots are all taken by my hand held Canon G10, so don't think you need an SLR! Best advice is to read the entire manual, lets you explore so much more then what you think your camera can do. This guy is only a yearling JCP...
Back