suta suta

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. NickGeee

Central Vic Daytrip.

Yesterday I headed up to Central Vic with a mate in order to look for Delma inornata - the olive delma. We headed out early in the morning, it was nearly negative degrees in Bendigo when I checked the weather app!. Around 10 we arrived at a spot about 2 hours North of Melbourne, where I was keen...
  2. richoman_3

Summer VIC herping finds

Couple quick trips, not really too much here... enjoy.. if you want more info on anything let me know. Central Bearded Dragon (Pogona vitticeps) head detail by Nick Volpe, on Flickr Tessellated gecko (Diplodactylus tessellatus) by Nick Volpe, on Flickr Spotted Marsh Frog (Limnodynastes...
  3. moloch05

Broken Hill and Menindee, NSW. Mar 2014

These are photos from a quick trip out to Broken Hill and Menindee in northwestern New South Wales. These areas are quite a distance from Canberra where I am currently working. I clocked over 3500 kms of driving in 4 days so I spent much of my time behind the steering wheel. As always, though...
  4. Fang101

Tableland Herping

Hi Everyone, here are some photos I've taken recently up around Mareeba/Tablelands, hope you enjoy the photos. Tommy roundhead Diporiphora australis by Kieran Palmer, on Flickr Diporiphora australis by Kieran Palmer, on Flickr Dead Robust blind snake Ramphotyphlops ligatus by Kieran...
  5. GeckPhotographer

Dash to the Marsh and Back

So I was sitting around on a Monday night, it was the last week before Uni and I was contemplating how best to spend it herping before going back... As if in answer to my thoughts an email came through asking for immediate volunteers to leave the next day and spend 2 days doing vegetation...
  6. mcloughlin2

Herping out Nyngan/Cobar way?

Does anyone have any experience with herping out Nyngan-Cobar way? I'm just trying to gauge whether it's worth the drive out there for Sydney siders or whether just as many species can be found in locations around Sydney. I go out that way each year hunting on a friends property but I've never...
  7. clopo

Week in Longreach

I went to Longreach this week for a conference on the Lake Eyre Basin, great conference with some big names from the scientific community. Including Angus Emmott and Arthur Georges from the reptile world. If anyone is interested hop on their facebook page and show your support for protecting the...
  8. Fang101

Herping Pictures

Here some reptile and other animal photos I've taken from around central QLD recently, Frogs... New Holland frogs Cyclorana novaehollandiae by Kieran Palmer, on Flickr Cyclorana novaehollandiae by Kieran Palmer, on Flickr Cyclorana novaehollandiae by Kieran Palmer, on Flickr Cyclorana...
  9. S

ID this snake?

I know what the snake is called but having a mind blank -.- would be appreciated if someone could remind me what the species is lol :) thanks
  10. Fang101

Herp pics

Heres a few recent herps I've seen :) Burns' dragon Amphibolurus burnsi by Kieran Palmer, on Flickr Amphibolurus burnsi by Kieran Palmer, on Flickr Adult Ringed Brown snake Pseudonaja modesta by Kieran Palmer, on Flickr Tessellated gecko Diplodactylus tessellatus by Kieran Palmer, on...
  11. Fang101

Recent Pics

Hi everyone, heres some of my recent pics, hope you all enjoy :) Black Falcon Falco Subniger by Kieran Palmer, on Flickr Kristin's geckos Stophurus krisalys by Kieran Palmer, on Flickr Eastern barred wedgesnout ctenotus Ctenotus by Kieran Palmer, on Flickr BHP Aspidites melanocephalus by...
  12. Poggle

Reptile Photography

I have seen some beautiful photo's on here recently. I am getting into photography more and more and would love some tips of some one is willing to give them to me. Also if people could post osme more great pics of their snakes that would be great! First one is a RBB and second a pain in the...
  13. Firepac

ID please

Can anyone confirm ID for this snake found in Cloncurry Qld.
  14. The Reptile Outlet

Who Would Like to Buy an Oenpelli Python?

Who Would Like to Buy an Oenpelli Python? :D That's the subject of Dr Gavin Bedford's talk for our Scales & Tails Reptile Festival on November 12th. I've been chatting with Gavin over the last couple of days about our Festival and the subject of his talk and it's going to be fabulous! He'll be...
  15. G

Guess

Ahh yes another guess thread if you guess it correctly I'll post the full pic and you can have a turn I'll start easy
  16. Thyla

Please help me ID this snake

17. MrHappy

2 x snake IDs please (bigger pics)

I'm reposting this thread with (hopefully) larger pics.
  18. M

Snakes 2010

Seeing its getting colder which leads to a decline in herping threads (plus I'm just bored on a Sunday night) I thought I'd throw up some pictures of the snakes I have photographed so far this year. Majority of pics have maybe been seen before. Cheers. Bandy Bandy Vermicella annulata Brown...
  19. Nephrurus

Broken Hill Herp'n

I recently headed out to Broken Hill for a friend's wedding, but I took the opportunity to go out and do a bit of herping while I was at it. Going with some mates out to see the sculptures in the Living Desert NP. While we were there it was pleasantly clear and warm and a few herps came out...
  20. redbellybite

Interesting ...

I found it interesting in what type of anti vens are used for different species .... Immunotype Treatment of snakebite in a clinical setting depends in part on the immunotype to which the speces belongs. The Snake Venom Detection Kit (SVDK) helps with determining this information...
  21. TNWJackson

January 2010 trip - Northern inland NSW and Southern inland Qld

Hi all, I've posted these pics on another forum that I know some APS members frequent and moloch's awesome sequences above almost make me too embarassed to post them here too but what the hell, I thought I would anyway! The pictures are in roughly chronological order, as we moved North through...
  22. M

SW QLD Herping Trip Part 4 - Snakes

These are the snakes we encountered on our trip. Unfortunatly we didn't see a great deal and only one managed to escape without a photo but it was the only live Western Brown Snake that we came across. Would also be interested in hearing any records of just how far west Coastal Carpet pythons...
  23. D

Southwest Qld - Part 1, Snakes & Geckos

In addition to Matt's post(s) here are some pictures that I got on this trip. I can't be bothered re-counting the number species of reptiles we found, but excluding all the various garden skinks, I think there was around 35-36? Majority of them being new to us, Matt can confirm that if he can be...
  24. greeny1

Herping at Lightning Ridge

as the title suggests this is about the lightning ridge field trip. majority of the group was north copast herp society adn the other 4 people were hawkesberry herps. the trip was organised by hawkesberry group and north coast was invited to come along an in the end we made up the numbers. all...
  25. Gecko75

live birthing reptiles

Hey, does anyone have a complete list of reptiles of australia that shows whether they lay or give birth, I just tried to find a list but was unsuccesful. thanks, Gecko75
  26. yoyo101

guess the herp

hey guys im kinda bored so thought i would get a photo for you to guess what it is :D
  27. B

First Time??

Went for a quick herp last night and have herped the area for years and it was the first time I have ever seen one of these a few minutes from my place.I've seen them out of Mackay heading west and had a play with one once,they have a very interesting defense mechanism and sort of go like a...
  28. moloch05

Trip to central western QLD, pt2

This post includes photos of the other animals that I encountered while travelling through the central western Queensland. I always enjoy seeing these beautiful Yellow-spotted Monitors (Varanus panoptes). They often seem fearless and I can walk along with them without them running away...
  29. W

whip snake. I think!

found this little guy on the way to coober. Pretty sure its a little whip. Anyone think different
  30. JasonL

Class 1 Dwarf Adder feeding

These guys are great, fed both my male and female 2 pinkies each today, male knocked one out of the tongs...fantastic little guys, been mating strong, fingers crossed
  31. O

Lightning Ridge

Hello everyone My wife 'Georgia' and I are off to Lightning Ridge next week, just wondered what can I expect to find in the way of reptiles out that way this time of year?? Any advice would be appreciated.. Thanks Baz :D :D :D
  32. da_donkey

I.D this one will test you.

Now i found this today on my golf co**** (Dent island, Whitsundays) it had been dead for a couple of days ( ate a skink that was too big and the skink stuck a leg out through its guts). It was had been damaged by ants, no eyes etc. about 2 foot long As wide as an average persons index...
  33. dickyknee

Womas class 1

Any one seen the new species list ??? http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/nature/CurrentSpeciesList.pdf
  34. Fuscus

Regular Tuesday nights herping

As many of you know I try and go out herping on most Tuesday nights. Well last Tuesday was no exception but the animals were exceptional. First off was this little guy. At this point I have to point out I'm not on my regular route and are a long way from the A. maculosa known range, this animal...
  35. Casey

ID me please

Can anyone help me ID this little guy, I'm thinking it might be a curl snake, but never having seen one before would like a second opinion. I have more photos. He was in an old bomb shelter, underground with two others in 1 feet deep of water...An interesting rescue.
  36. moloch05

Windorah, Queensland 4 -- in transit herps

As I mentioned in the first post, we drove an enormous distance in a few days. That, of course, meant many hours of sitting in the car. Naturally, in the dry areas, we saw a fair number of animals on the road. Watching for these or occasional quick stops helped us pass the time while we drove...
  37. K

What Snake is This????

Hi, My dog found this small snake in our back yard this morning, and I have never seen one like it. I am assuming that it is a juvenile, and that it may be a venomous snake. I have 8 children who love to run around our yard, so, if anyone can shed some light on what species of snake we have...
  38. J

some elapid picts

39. Macca

West Qld 06

Hey, finally a field forum on the site. These are some photos from a fairly recent herp trip around western Queensland. The habitat is mostly semi-arid. We spent 6 days on this trip, travelling 6500km, leaving from and returning to Sydney. A total of 55 herp species were found. The first...
  40. moloch05

pics from Mutawintji NP, NSW

In October, 2006, I went on a quick trip to far western New South Wales. While there, I spent a couple of nights at Mutawintji National Park. This park is located north of the Barrier Highway between Wilcannia and Broken Hill. Mutawintji is a beautiful park that protects rugged gorges some of...
  41. moloch05

herps from the Warrumbungles, NSW

I visited the Warrumbungles several times in the last few years. This is a great place to see some of our dry country reptiles and it also is excellent for bushwalking. I think that the Grand High Tops walk is absolutely stunning with magnificent views of the cores of these old volcanos. This...
  42. moloch05

snakes from the channel country, QLD

In the last couple years, I have visited the channel country of southwestern Queensland on two occasions. The first trip was with my son in November, 2006. The daily temperatures in November were already 40C+. We found many reptiles but it was too hot to have much of a chance at finding a...
  43. smacdonald

Pics from the Brigalow Belt, Queensland

I headed out to the Brigalow Belt in Queensland to meet some friends of ours and see what cool critters we could find. I've been out to this particular spot a few times, but have never managed to see a De Vis' banded snake (Denisonia devisi), despite this area being well-known for this snake...
  44. jordo

Herp Trip #2 - Grasslands

Recently went on a trip to Terrick Terrick National Park, pitfall trapping in Cypress Woodlands and grasslands as well as spotlighting in the grasslands at night. The park wasn't much to look at but it was home to a lot of interesting critters... Christinus marmoratus, marbled geckos were...
  45. jordo

Herping in the Mallee (DUW)

Went up to the Mallee in Sunset National Park near Mildura, NW Vic. I volunteering for a project run by Deakin and Latrobe studying the diversity of wildlife in areas that had been burnt at different times and frequencies. It was a very busy week with 5am starts but well worth it for all the...
  46. iceman

Field Trip pic's

I was out walking around today out in the bush lifting up rocks an etc... an found some gecko's an a snake to take some pic's of, hope you's like them.
  47. waruikazi

This is bollocks!

I spent all morning ringing people at the NT parks and wildlife trying to find out if there is anyone that does an acredited snake handling course up here in the NT. After ringing about 5 different people who kept giving me another number to call i finally got in touch with the guy who does the...
  48. shamous1

What are curl snakes?

Saw this ad on petlink and wondered what the story was. I did'nt want to annoy the person asking for them but thought I would you lot instead. http://www.petlink.com.au/Classifieds/sale/342687.html This person wants curl snake. Don't even know what they are. If anyone has a pic can you...
  49. Pike01

guess the snake

Ok put your thinking caps on, heres one to kick it off.
  50. S

Southern Cross Reptiles comp. updates

Post from doc after judgement. All in all, that was a good effort. When you give out the scores could you point out that I rewarded points for picking the differences and for pointing out the exceptions to the rule as well (e.g. snakes have forked tongues and lizards don?t ? except goannas...
Back