notechis scutatus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. K

ID please - Not a great photo

I want to apologize in advance for the bad photo quality. Was at night as I released the snake into the bush and used a torch and my rubbish camera phone. So if the quality is too poor I understand. Location: Cairns QLD. In the garden of our apartment complex. Lots of kids wandering by so I...
  2. B

Snake ID Kangaroo Island

Hello, Good to be back to this forum :) My sister just sent me this pic from Kangaroo Island Unfortunately no better images available. So as far as I know, there are only two snake species on KI. On the Google images it looks more like a Tiger Snake than a Pygmy Copperhead. Would you agree...
  3. BredliFreak

What have you been bitten by?

What have you been bitten by? Categories apply Skink: Small skinks (i.e eulamprus, saproscincus pseudemoia lampropholis). Blueys have tried (inlcuding pet one), haven't been bitten yet and am very paranoid lol Dragon: Many jackies Geckos/pygopods: Christinus marmoratus, once Monitors: none...
  4. cement

an interesting conversation

Had an interesting phone conversation with a woman who was bitten by an eastern brown snake last year and was calling me to help with a snake in her yard that had scared her daughter while playing outside yesterday. Its an amazing story of extremely good luck and took me quite a while to get...
  5. NickGeee

Mornington Peninsula Herping

Here are some pics from the past week i took down at the Mornington Peninsula, which is about an hour south east of Melbourne. I had afew species in mind, including the metallic skink, swamp skink and white lipped snake. I had photographed swamp skinks and seen white lips before, but mettalics...
  6. A

Snake ID

Hi, I'm after some help with IDing a snake seen last week in Lamington National Park (SE QLD). The snake was seen on a track at Binna Burra and I would appreciate any help in identification. Estimated length was a little over a metre, with black body/tail and brownish head with light markings...
  7. GeckPhotographer

Recent-ish Photos.

Some pictures from herping and random adventures over the past while I guess. Done a bit of stuff here and there and photos some places and what not. Post is somewhat lengthy already so not much info with each picture. If you want a bit more follow the flickr link and most have a more lengthy...
  8. kwaka

Dead tiger snake

To all experienced elapid keepers, First and foremost, I am the Snake Co-ordinator for Wildcare, and am responsible for collecting elapids to train people with. I have been caring for injured elapids near Canberra for the last few years and haven't lost one without obvious reason (injuries)...
  9. NickGeee

Recent Herping Pics

Some pictures from the last month or so, ill try to add some story in with them... I went up to Mt Buller in Victoria with my family for a ski trip earlier last month, and after seeing afew thawed out ski runs, I went to investigate. McCoy’s Skink ( Anepischestosia maccoy) by Nick Gale, on...
  10. vampstorso

Show us your Elapids!

I think these beauties certainly need their own dedicated thread for everyone to centrally drool over :P So show us those beauties!
  11. B

Share your collection

Hey all, Just looking for some inspiration. Wishing to upgrade my current reptile collection, I was wondering whether you could all contribute and tell me yours? Photos would be fantastic My current collection consists of 2x Central Netted Dragons 1x Central Bearded Dragon 2x Smooth Knob...
  12. P

Wa tiger snake male

Large male avaliable due to work commitments I am selling off the majority of the snakes not the best handler eatig extremely well on mice $500 Pm for details No freight Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. RoryBreaker

Tasmanian tiger snake in the news

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-02/27lumpy27-snake-found-in-tasmania-diagnosed-with-rare-spinal-/6061952
  14. Vikingtimbo

Tiger Snake Up a Tree

I was looking for snakes yesterday and overheard some Noisy Miners talking about a Tiger Snake (I don't know why no one takes Doctor Dolittle seriously). So I went over to have a look and the snake turned out to be way up a tree. If it wasn't for the birds I would've had Buckley's chance of...
  15. snakegirlie

herping in tazzie

in tazzie for christmas and have found these guys so far :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Vikingtimbo

Do Tiger Snakes Really Chase People?

Well, not really. But occasionally they need to get to a hiding spot that's behind you. And if the snake happens to be an unusually grumpy one then he might be a bit pushy about how he goes about reaching that cover. I came across this rather fiery Tiger on a very steep slope with little cover...
  17. C

VENOM-TIGER SNAKE- comparison

For my final year in high school I have the opportunity to write a essay on evolution of an Australian animal for biology. id like to include a paragraph to do with vemon, toxicity,neurotoxins and haemotoxins, I have chosen the tiger snake because of the various sub species focusing mainly on...
  18. P

Wa tiger snakes

Looking for a couple baby's or yearlings will freight
  19. Y

Brown snake or Tiger

Hello all, In advance sorry i dont have a more complete photo but this guy jumped me while on a walk today, i should note that it had a grey hood that can not be seen in the photos, cream / tan and brown large banding.So what ya think? I peronally think its a tiger for these reason one...
  20. chiko64

Can you identify this snake for me

Went for a ride at the local park and saw this snake any ideas what it is ?
  21. Y

Keelback or Roughscale?

Hello, Walking the Minyon falls trail came across this guy what ya reckon rough or keelback? Cheers Jacob
  22. cheekabee

Recent Herping around Victoria

I went for a short trip to far east Gippsland and ticked off a few cool species of frogs and managed to get a couple shots of some cool reptiles. Untitled by Akash Samuel Melbourne, on Flickr Victorian Smooth Froglet (Geocrinia victoriana) by Akash Samuel Melbourne, on Flickr Victorian Smooth...
  23. Cunninghamskinks

Why are reptile enthusiasts in Australia not allowed to keep exotic reptiles

i was just wondering why Cunninghamskinks
  24. Vikingtimbo

Tiger Snakes' PR Problem

I upload vids of Tiger Snakes to You Tube all the time, it's my hobby. I don't advertise most of them here because I'd wear out my welcome pretty quickly if I did! But in the interests of helping Tigers with their serious (but undeserved) public relations difficulties I thought I'd post this...
  25. Unclewo-wo

Hiking tracks illawarra

I have made topics about herping before and had plenty of help but this is different. I have a mate that just got back from over seas and we would like to go hiking around the Illawarra (if I find reps on the way to photograph all the better) to give you an idea we just went to the bottom of Mac...
  26. Vikingtimbo

Tiger Snake Chasing a Frog

Finding and filming Tiger Snakes around Melbourne is "my thing" and I've seen and filmed them catching frogs countless times. Normally the strike happens under leaf litter or a fallen branch and there isn't really much to see. But occasionally the frog makes a break for it and tries to jump to...
  27. S

5 snakes in Australia - ID requested, please

Hi all, Last november, I've encountered several snakes. Could you please help me identify these creatures? I tried to catch them on camera. Not all of the pictures are showing the entire snake, but I hope it's clear enough to analyze. Myself I thought that these are 1. Eastern Brown, 2...
  28. Endeavour

Dry bites is it a conscious choice or just a lottery?.

Been reading a little about venomous snakes delivering dry bites. It would appear some do this more than others. My question is. Is this something a snakes makes a 'choice' to do or is it just the luck of the draw as to whether your day is going to turn bad?. Kindest regards Endeavour
  29. H

Tubs or displays...

What's your personal preference? I nearly forked out a few hundred for a nice display, but saw people online keeping them in plastic tubs. I mean, it's not like they move much (snakes), so now I can't see the point of keeping them in a nice display tank. Lizards I can understand, but snakes are...
  30. Vikingtimbo

Frog ID

Hi, I don't know anything about frogs so I just wanted to check the ID on this one. It was filmed in Melbourne's Eastern Suburbs so presumably nothing too exotic! I've uploaded the footage for anyone who's interested: Tiger Snake Catching Frogs - YouTube Cheers, Tim
  31. gman78

tiger snake bite death

Anyone know the year of the last death from a tiger snake bite in Victoria? Thanks
  32. andynic07

Snake bite Eagleby Queensland

I was reading a Logan Crime watch page and just read this post by someone from the page. Not sure what sort of snake it was or even if it is a confirmed snake bite but sounds like one to me. Here is the post. "Hello. I thought it best to message you due to the amount of followers you have. I...
  33. NicG

Tiger Snake or Copperhead?

Hi guys, Can anyone identify this snake spotted at Bindaree Falls in the Victorian Highlands? Apparently it was 1.2m-1.5m long and a "reddish, coppery colour" with very distinct black banding. The description suggests Tiger Snake to me, whereas the location suggests Highlands Copperhead...
  34. Snake Catcher Victoria

Tiger Snake Rescue

When i got the house a few nights ago in Sorrento, the snake was hanging by its head, jammed in a very solid back door of a house. It was seen climbing up the door hinges, probably trying to find a cool spot by the lady of the house, who promptly screamed and slammed the door shut. Now to me...
  35. CameronWright

Found tonight Northern subs Melbourne

My friend contacted me (in a lot of distress) saying that there is a snake out side her window, She send me this She said it doesn't have a hood-like thing,because my only guess was a tiger snake Opinions? :) Thanks Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  36. Vikingtimbo

Toddlers are Cute

I got some half decent footage of a tiny Tiger Snake that was kind/brave enough to let me get my camcorder within a few centimetres: Tiny Cute TIGER SNAKE - YouTube Cheers, Tim
  37. Vikingtimbo

Preaching to the Choir

Videos of snakes putting on fearsome threat displays or even trying to kill humans who usually deserve that reaction make great viewing; and after all, that's exactly what people expect to see. But what happens if you just stand still and let a snake come right up to you? TIGER SNAKE Close...
  38. J

warrnambool albino tiger snake

I found this old photo of the famous warrnambool albino tiger snake at the oasis reptile park (now closed) warrnambool,taken in about 1983,was run by barry searle.enjoy.
  39. happynagini

Penalties for killing a snake ever enforced?!

Hello everyone, It is that time of year again when we all start to see photos of dead native elapids popping up in our Facebook news feeds, accompanied with a spiel on how the killed has done society a huge favour by killing a brown/red belly/tiger snake today. My question is, does anybody...
  40. P

Red belly bite

Got tagged last week by a good size RBB. Was removing it from a garden in someone's front yard ... I had it by the tail and it grabbed my other hand and had a good hold. I never thought a bite from a RBB would be too bad but may need to reconsider. The upshot is 4 days in hospital, an area of...
  41. reptilezac

what have you hidden ?

hey everyone im wondering for a topic what has everyone hidden from you perants as in like a snake or something along them lines
  42. saximus

Live vs Dead Food for Elapids

I was recently thinking about the pre-digestion role certain toxins in venom play when elapids kill their prey. That made me start thinking about the fact that almost everyone feeds dead things to their snakes which made me start to wonder how that affects their digestion. This may be me lacking...
  43. Woma_Wild

Close up head shots.

I'd like to see head shots of various adult pythons so please post away.
  44. hoppy

share a story

when I was young, well younger, as I am only eleven. when I was about six we went on a holiday down to baitmans bay. we went to this beach were there is a barbecue. while everyone was chatting and cooking the meat, I went for a walk in the bush, that was behind the beach. next minute I come...
  45. PythonOwner25

Melbourne and surrounds Sep/Oct

Just a few recent pics from various days herping throughout the suburbs of Melbourne, September and October 2013. Enjoy! Little Whip Snake (Parasuta flagellum) by Matt Clancy Wildlife Photography, on Flickr Eastern Brown Snake (Pseudonaja textilis) by Matt Clancy Wildlife Photography, on...
  46. GeckPhotographer

poor image ID

So I do know what this is, so unlike the usual rules of this forum guesses are not as problematic on this post, but I thought I'd see if people can tell me what this is from such an utterly crap image, just curious. Location is Gloucester area, snakes behaviour was to strongly hood and raise...
  47. Rissi

Snake identification VIC

Hi all you wizzes! My friend is working in Gippsland & stupidly decided to move this guy off site (his intentions were good). Can anyone please identify this so i can tell him how lucky he is and save his life in future? Given the location i was wondering about a juvi eastern tiger but really...
  48. Fuscus

No - 21 is not my age, IQ nor the number of years I have been on APS. It is, however, the number of days it took to find and remove this snake. According to my phone logs the woman first contacted me on 29 September 2013. I came and searched the place to no avail. This womans phobia was one of...
  49. cheekabee

Herping around Vic

Just a few herping shot from around vic Managed to get to the Mallee and had some success Ramphotyphlops bituberculatus by Melbourne herping, on Flickr Tree skink(Egernia saxtilis) by Melbourne herping, on Flickr Spotted Burrowing Skink(Lerista punctatovittata) by Melbourne herping, on...
  50. cheekabee

Herping around Vic

Just a few herping shot from around vic Managed to get to the Mallee and had some success Ramphotyphlops bituberculatus by Melbourne herping, on Flickr Tree skink(Egernia saxtilis) by Melbourne herping, on Flickr Spotted Burrowing Skink(Lerista punctatovittata) by Melbourne herping, on...
Back