morelia oenpelliensis

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Ekans

What's your holy grail of reptiles?

What's that one native snake, lizard, invertebrate etc that you want to someday own but your skill, its care is slightly intimidating or its rarity is holding you back? :)
  2. Smittiferous

Anyone get anything from the VHS expo?

Went there unsure of what was available, was hoping for a Spencer's.... Instead I made off with an RSP, a pair of N. Levis and a V. Indicus (latter two from Haberfield's Reptiles) What (if anything) did anyone else pick up??
  3. GBWhite

Feral doves used to feed Oenpelli Pythons.

Given that rodents can at times prove difficult to obtain there could be an extended market for these doves within the hobby. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-19/feral-red-centre-turtle-dove-fed-to-endangered-top-end-python/7183102#.VsazrUB9rNM.facebook George
  4. F

This Sunday Everyone!!!!!

Will be awesome!!!! - - - Updated - - -
  5. N

oenpelli and olive python info

Hey I am looking for more info on oenpelli and olive pythons to ensure I am giving out the correct info but I am having a lot of trouble because almost every site has different info and they contradict each other. I was wondering if anybody knew a herp researcher who may have done studies on...
  6. RoryBreaker

Senator pushes for Quolls to replace cats as pets

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-18/leyonhjelm-pushes-for-quolls-to-replace-cats-as-pets/6329674 This Senator has said some crazy stuff in the recent past but this might be the first elected representative to say this sort of thing publicly. "He cited examples overseas of sugar gliders and...
  7. C

VHS purchases

I would like to share what did purchase from VHS :) So what I bring home was mainly food, products and business cards however I also bought home this lovely pair of baby Varanus storri (Storr's monitors). Hopefully I will be breeding these when they mature. I believe these are male and female...
  8. Fuscus

You ain't nothing but a blackdog!

I have had a good run with relocating small EBS recently. Here is a small sample. OH - and the title is to get a particular members attention ;)
  9. P

Obsessed with ball pythons

Hi all, I've fallen in love with the ball python but I have no idea where to start and how hard it would be to import one from the US as I haven't heard of or seen anyone in Australia with them. Any info would be greatly appreciated on how to go about it cheers
  10. C

Australian Representative Herp Body

The whole australian representative herp body thing was to much messing about and not enough action... If they just said what they wanted to achieve and what they needed from people, it would of happened. If people saw what benefits they would personally get out of it, they would get behind it...
  11. Cunninghamskinks

Why are reptile enthusiasts in Australia not allowed to keep exotic reptiles

i was just wondering why Cunninghamskinks
  12. M

Legal trading of wild caught reptiles

which states are you allowed to catch wild animals?
  13. S

Oenpelli project

Anyone know where Gavin Bedford is up to with the Oenpelli project after finding a few last year? No recent updates here and for some reason I can't find his web page anymore. Am just curious about how things are progressing.
  14. TrueBlue

White lipped pythons.

A good friend has allowed me to take a couple of pics of some of his white lips and post them. These animals are 100% legal. Absolutely stunning animals to say the least. They will be available to everyone in the hobby in a few years time.
  15. YayPythons

Roughies?

Hey all, why is that no one seems to have Rough Scaled Pythons. Is there something about them that makes them not a good python to keep? From what I've read they seem like great pets. Plus they've got the added bonus of looking spectacular with those captivating eyes and that stunning head...
  16. redbellybite

look what the cat dragged in....

Well well well how's things ? Long time no posts ...seems a few of my online mateys are in the APS doghouse ...naughty naughty ...and for those that are still currently attending APS college for the herping challenged....how the hell are you lot :D
  17. MyMitchie

Where are the White Lipped?

I have heard of the White Lipped Python a few times on posters etc but where are they? Are they on license in Australia? Does no one breed them? Are they rare?​I am so curious!!!
  18. Lawra

Python ID

Hey guys :) my partner just sent me this pic. It's our resident python which has been living in our roof and those of our neighbours for years. This is the first time we've ever seen it properly :) Any idea on what it is? I'm bummed I wasn't there to see it in person. It looks fairly large :)
  19. cathy1986

Why why why!!!!!!

I was reading some post on fb saying what will I get if I breed this with that etc..... I find it quite annoying when these sorta people ask these questions, because it goes to show they have no understanding of the general genetics of their snakes, so therefore have no plan in regards to what...
  20. G

Question five: Where do we go from here? Its up to you!

Finally, I hope you have come this far and question five here puts things into perspective. Please have a say and PM me if you don't want a name next to your voice. I appreciate all you have done! You have all read and many have answered the four questions I have posed to date, there were...
  21. G

Question 4: Is an Albino Jungle Jaguar carpet python really Wild life?

Hello again for Q4 Almost there at question five which will be an easy one, and I am so glad to see the debate in each of the questions continue. I deliberately left the previous question ambiguous as to where I stood and was called on it, which is great. There are many well thought out...
  22. G

Question 3: String him up it will teach him a lesson.

Hello again - thanks for all those who are responding. This is my third f five questions and I can see there is some debate and consternation. I was at an expo in Queensland a few years ago and there were a few thousand patrons there including the Parks and Wildlife Service. This Expo had...
  23. G

Do you have any ideas on how we can help the hobby??

G’day all, I recently wrote an article about the Oenpelli python project I have been working on for a decade and it is in the current Scales and Tails Magazine (Issue 30 – July 2013). At the end of that article I mentioned the idea that we - as a very large collective of people interested...
  24. F

Oenpellis

A couple more of these magnificient animals have been found. Gavin Bedford should be very happy.
  25. F

Oenpellis

THE AUSTRALIAN APRIL 27, 2013 DEEP in a suburban Darwin back yard, two snakes lie coiled and sleeping. Each bears the distinctive skin colouration that marks it out as an oenpelli python, one of Australia's largest and rarest snakes, and a creature some regard as the Rainbow Serpent of...
  26. ReptileMad_98

What is your favourite Australian reptile?

Ill start off, either the olive python or the inland taipan :D.
  27. rockett85

What did yo think of the castle hill expo did you get anything that you really wanted

What did everyone think about the expo today? Did anyone buy anything special or that they had wanted for a long time????????????????
  28. Zeusy

Morelia from smallest to biggest?

hey all, i apologise but i have tried searching for the answer and have found some but i'm wondering which species are the smallest to which are the largest? I'm thinking jungles are most likely the smallest, gtp and diamond and then the bredli and md (around the same size?), then the coastal...
  29. S

Would you like to keep an Oenpelli python?

So I've just been browsing all the various python breeders website and came a across this little beauty!!! link removed but google Gavin Bedford + Oenpelli python if interested. I'm sure most of you experienced keepers already know about this but I didn't. Now that I do I must say that if did...
  30. cools2036

Albino diamond rumors

Hi guys just heard news that an albino diamond was found in the national park at Henry's head, was said to have been found by a ranger. I have a relative that works there who has told me about it but he doesn't really know what he's talking about. Has anyone else heard or seen pics etc? I'd be...
  31. T

Thickest bodied Aussie Python?

I always wondered about this - I tried a search on here and Google but didn't come up with any definitive answers. Thanks. :)
  32. jedi_339

Dr. Gavin Bedfords Oenpelli project

Just wondering if anyone has heard of how the Oenpelli project with Dr. Gavin Bedford is progressing? Has he had anymore luck finding another oenpelli? (Or has anyone working for him had any luck so far?) I haven't heard much about the project since I was in Darwin for work way back in May and...
  33. The Reptile Outlet

Scales & Tails Australia Issue 25 (September 2012) posted to subscribers

Scales & Tails Australia Issue 25 (September 2012) has now been posted to subscribers. Newsagencies and stockists will have their copies at the end of the week (Qld) and beginning to middle of next week in other states. Here's just a couple of the great articles: The main is on The Mainland...
  34. mungus

Whats the go with " Free Reptiles Wanted "

It cracks me up all the people wanting free reptiles........ All will be going to loving homes, etc...........yer for 6 months :lol::lol: Some adds even stipulate " must come with own enclosures " " must be delivered, cannot pick-up " :shock: Hey I'm giving away gravid albino females ATM. Please...
  35. SteveNT

Twin Falls Creek

We spent the last 3 days on Twin Falls Creek, up on the escarpment behind the famous falls. We nearly died getting up top, we're no spring chickens and our indulgent hedonistic lifestyles didnt help. But we got there (first time for Darlyn and first time for 10 years for me). Views from our...
  36. SteveNT

Another week in Arnhem Land

I was at Ramingining this week. The Rangers there are an excellent mix of youth and experience with ages ranging from 19 to 71. Some pics of the drive to Ramo. 1 Cahills Crossing downstream (a local fisherman had his head pulled off by a saltie here)2 Kakadu burning. Kakadu is the only part of...
  37. RepifilmzTV

Breeding Snakes as A Job????

Hi everyone, I am pretty new to keeping pythons/ snakes and I am rly enjoying it. But looking on getting into it more serious. So what i wanted to ask you all is: Is there any money in breeding snakes as a full time or part time job?
  38. hugsta

AHS TALK - Dr Gavin Bedford on the Oenpelli project

Hey Guys, This month (Wednesday 27th June) at the AHS we are privileged to have Dr Gavin Bedford coming along. His presentation will be on the Oenpelli python and all the issues he had to overcome just to get this project off the ground, let alone all the time and effort gone into it so far...
  39. News Bot

Croc hunt will endanger humans - Bob Irwin

CONSERVATIONIST Bob Irwin says a plan for trophy hunters to kill up to 50 saltwater crocodiles in the Northern Territory each year could result in more attacks against humans. border="0" |- | valign="'middle'" | | valign="'middle'" | |- Published On: 15-Jun-12 03:01 PM Source: via...
  40. V

What's on your wishlist?

Hi Everyone, Just curious as to know what your "Reptile" wishlist is? I have noticed a few people talk about their wishlist, I cannot find any threads though. My Wishlist is: 1 Male NT BHP. Ocellate BHP's Chondro's Most Pythons actually :P RBB Mainland Tiger Snake De Vis's Banded Snake Greater...
  41. C

Legally exported python out of Australia????

Hi I was just checking my emails and a mate had sent me this link and asked how they have legally exported roughies out of aus? Does anyone know? Here's the link UK Pythons - Investment quality pythons direct from the breeder!
  42. grimjob

Red babies

The new future breeding stock, will have 5 of these little buggers, the photos do no justices they are just amazing, from high yellow parents
  43. N

Who's going to Repticon?

With Repticon coming up in the near future in Brisbane, I'm getting excited! I'm finally going to meet Gavin Bedford!! I'm going and I cant wait!!
  44. SteveNT

Hot in Darwin today!

Came up the stairs for lunch thinking, bloody hell it's hot today! Out on the bacony here's what I found Ess in his newfound semi submerged GTP pose. Sweetie playing Anaconda And the big fella Azzi squeezed into his waterbowl. He's just about to shed and usually disappears under the...
  45. Red_LaCN

Walhalla Ghost

My son went out last nite in a town called Walhalla in Victoria, Australia. He was on a hunt to find ghosts!!! I didnt think much of it wen he told me in facebook that he was doing this. He put up sum nite pics on his facebook this morning thinking of sum ghostly mists that dont quite look like...
  46. R

Retained shed on head

Hi all, My 5 month old spotted has just shed and all went well except her head. i know that to get any retained shed off a warm soak is a good trick however since it is her head she does not really put it in the water. also being her head she is not happy to stay still while i try to take it...
  47. EricBurke

Really nice red tiger boy.

This guy turned out to be quite the looker...at least to me. He was produced by Jason Baylin from his red tiger line.
  48. Frozenmouse

What will be the next big thing on the aussie reptile market

It seems that the bottom has fallen out of the market , every naturally occurring snake is basically free to good home ? The only snakes that are worth more than the food they eat are chondros and some jaguars. Even standard albino darwins wont be worth anything by next season . what will be the...
  49. slim6y

What can we argue about now?

One of the reasons I actually stuck with APS since leaving Australia was because I actually LOVE the arguing here... There's some really strong minded people out there and I totally respect their opinion (even if it is completely wrong). Anyway - not through a lack of trying, I'd like to...
  50. waruikazi

World first python breeding plan

World first python breeding plan | News | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au ONE of the world's rarest snakes is being trapped legally in the Territory for the first time. The Oenpelli pythons will be used for a world-first breeding program. Interesting, no one...
Back