varanus mertensi

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. pinefamily

Male Mertens water monitor

Species Common Name Mertens water monitor Age 3 Length approx. 1m Quantity Available 1 Bred By General Description Healthy male with good disposition; feeding well on rats, chicken necks, prawns, feeder fish Location Adelaide Willing to Freight? Yes, at buyer's expense Contact...
  2. Stompsy

Kimberley Rock Monitors

Hi Guys, So, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the politics of having certain species added to keepers lists, however I have fallen head over heals with Kimberley Rock Monitors but alas, they are not available to keep in Victoria. So, my question is.... what is the process to have any given...
  3. C

Enclosure build.

Hi, So I decided to build a new enclsoure for my mertens as most of you already know but I'm finally ready to start making purchases!! I'm starting off with building a stand for the enclsoure out of 2x4's since my neighbour is getting about 3 truckloads of timber for free!!!! Another plus is he...
  4. P

Help with mertens water monitors

hey I was wondering if anyone had any good breeders for mertens water monitors and how much the approximate cost for an enclosure. thank you
  5. C

Monitor enclousre build advice

Hi guys, I will beigin building a 7ftx4ftx4ft enclosure very soon (hope to be finished end of Jan-early Feb). It will be housing my Varanus mertensi. Going to have a front plywood panel 1ft high for sub + water dept. Wire mesh lid that can be completely removed or (with tye help of hinges) be...
  6. C

Monitor lizards!

Just thought I would start "show of your monitors thread" so photos please! :lol: :D :P My three! Old photo of my Varanus Mertensi when he was young. My 2 juvenile Varanus Storri
  7. viciousred

Varanus mertensi

Hi guys! I'm currently writing a husbandry manual on these guys for a TAFE course and am having trouble finding specific info on breeding behaviors for this particular species and was wondering if anyone on here that successfully breeds them would mind giving me some first hand info? you'll be...
  8. C

Breeding feeder fish

Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew how to breed live feeder fish for a Mertens Water Monitor (Vananus Mertensi)? My go to pet store for live feeder fish (usually bronze commets) have run out of adult fish to feed to my mertens. At the moment due to fish being univalible he has been eating...
  9. C

Solar water heater

Hi, anyone know how to make a solar water heater for a V.mertensi? Or convert a regular water heater so it runs of a small solar panel?Thanks kind regards CN
  10. Connor_yzfR1

New member and a few questions.

Hello and greeting fellows reptile lovers and enthusiasts (: Connor here, I've owned reptiles for a few years now and love them. I currently have two bearded dragons and a diamond python, I'm sure in time I will create some threads with some pictures for you all to get to know my animals (: But...
  11. K

ID required please NT

This photo was taken in the Northern Territory. Would it be a Yellow spotted monitor?
  12. sandfireackie

is there such thing as an albino monitor

there are lots of albino species but is there an albino monitor
  13. Ranga

Expert Advice needed asap... Re: monitors and first time keeper.

Ok well basically I am looking at getting my first monitor, to get the experience to eventually be able to own my own bell phase Lacey. But in the past I have only kept blueys, beardeds, snakes, scorpions, turtles. Never monitors. Id like to be able to have a larger if not largest possible...
  14. ozziepythons

Mertens Water Monitor

Scientific Name Varanus Mertensi Common Name Mertens Water Monitor Age 2-3 years Size Small but growing Quantity Available 3 Bred By General Description These monitors are feeding on turkey mince, kangaroo and crickets. Kept under uv light and given plenty of water to swim in...
  15. saratoga

Mertens Water Monitor vs yabby in the Top End

From ABC news in Darwin Water monitor versus yabby - ABC Darwin - Australian Broadcasting Corporation
  16. clopo

More of Mount Isa

Ill start from last night and go backwards a few weeks. First up last night was a young Olive python. Olive Python by R. Francis, on Flickr I then found a DOR black headed python which i was disapointed about as i really wanted to see one. I then came across this little mulga snake...
  17. I

How to cope with 45C.

This is how Sid managed her first day of heat wave...still in the bath at 20:30hours. She did spend time stalking the house earlier. How did your favourite beasties cope today?
  18. Chicken

Wallpaper

After some rainforest-themed wallpaper for an enclosure, is this stuff still being made? Ive been searching for a while now.. If anyone knows where it can be found please let me know. Thanks
  19. reptile_keeper_luke

Opinions on raising Lace monitors

Hey guys, I just want some different opinions on how to raise a lace monitor. I've heard many different ways to do it, but some other advice would be good. Happy to take in all advice, even if your way is 100% different to someone else's... cheers!
  20. junglebenn

addicted to lace monitor

Hi all. im finally comfortable with taking the next step in my reptile lifestyle and I believe im ready for my dream pet. I already have 2 pythons, only juvenils. time to get a monitor and in particular the lace monitor. ive researched and ive even spent time with a bloke who has one of his own...
  21. Reptiles4me

Sexing

Hey guys for the past week or so ,in my spare time, have been using google to find out how to sex my mertens water monitor and every time I try it seems to fail ,lucky for me my monitor still trusts me,. So my question is dose any of you know how to sex monitors?
  22. Reptiles4me

Dr Dr

I don't know if you guys has spoke about this before but dose anyone know any vets that deal with reptiles in vic? because I had a looked on google and was unable to find any in vic.
  23. Xeaal

Legless Lizards

Can anyone please point me in the right direction for information about keeping (and where to buy) legless lizards in Victoria? Thank you.
  24. cadwallader

6Ft fish tank lid help

Hey guys, So i have a 6ft glass tank that i now want to make a lid for and use for a mertens water monitor hatchling. so I'm having trouble thinking of a design that will be secure enough to make sure he can't escape but still provide lot of ventilation for 2ftx2ft of water and allowing heat to...
  25. Chondrobsessed

Snake bytes at Scales and Tails

Check out the latest ep of snake bytes in Australia! Australian Reptile Show : SnakeBytesTV - YouTube
  26. TheReptileben

monitor ID?

that is the place I found it on the left of the pic is where it was hanging out before some jack *** picked it up and karma got him back, the lizard bit him and then ran into the water and swam away :P
  27. P

Aussie Monitors

Following on from my thread on Aussie Snakes which can be seen here - http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/field-herping-reptile-studies-5373/aussie-snakes-190769/ - I thought I'd put up a thread on some of the monitor lizards that I have also encountered on my herping travels. I haven't seen a...
  28. M

water dragons and a water monitor together.

seen a heaps good setup at gully reptiles that had a water monitor and some water dragons together and it got me thinking. wouldn't the monitor pick on the water dragons because there smaller?
  29. L

Water Dragon Setup

Hey guys as the title say "water dragon setup" well im thinking bout a getting a baby water dragon next week but i just want some help on setting the tank up and the requirements they need and if there sort of the same setup as a bearded dragon just need water to swim in, im been researching on...
  30. L

WANTED - Mertens Water monitor or mitchell's water monitor.

Hi guys, My birthday is coming up (not really its in 3 months but i thought ill start looking now) and what else would a 20 year old girl want for her birthday? A water monitor, any of the two species will do, I know that breeding season may be over but I'm trying my luck. Any sex...
  31. GeckPhotographer

Herping in the Kimberley

Recently I spent 3 weeks volunteering in the Eastern Kimberley with a scientific project radio tracking monitors, both Varanus panoptes and Varanus mertensi. The research was being conducted at El Questro Station a popular tourist destination in the East Kimberley and involved many different...
  32. timmy82

mertens water monitor pair

Scientific Name Varanus mertensi Common Name mertens Age 8months Size 50cm Quantity Available 2 Bred By General Description nice heathy pair of mertens these are the last of my collection 350 each or 600 for both, eating well on pinkie rats, mice, kangroo mince, crickets not...
  33. kr0nick

Ipswich expo

Hi all this may be A bit late to ask. But does anybody know the guy's name who was displaying bells and normal phase lace monitor hatchies and mertens water monitor hatchies?. Thanks and can someone please PM me if they have his details thanks.
  34. HaberfieldsReps

A range of frillies, geckos and monitors

All animals have been vet checked and are ready to go. Please check out our facebook page by searching for “Haberfield’s Reptiles” on facebook. Please note that some of the animals are pick up only - this is generally because they are older animals and past their breeding age - I want to make...
  35. Sean51

Mertens water monitor help?

Hey guys and gals :) i was just wondering if any of you that keep mertens feed them fish and if so what type of fish. Also is there any risks with feeding fish Thanks Sean :)
  36. R

feeding baby mertens water monitors

what did you feed your baby mertens water monitors ?
  37. R

mertens water monitor

any one selling mertens water monitors near brisbane ?
  38. dez86

Mertens water monitor

Scientific Name Varanus mertensi Common Name mertens water monitor Age 1.5 Size 60cm total Quantity Available 1 Bred By Purchased from Sonia dew deny General Description nice mertens eating well on anything but mainly feed whole rodents Location Willing...
  39. ingie

Adult pair Mertens Water Monitors

Adult male Mertens Water Monitor *****Both Sold*****
  40. HaberfieldsReps

Mangrove, freckled, mertens and lace monitors. N. levis yearlings.

Adult Male Mangrove Monitor - Very impressive monitor in great condition. 6 years old and has bred before. Bright yellow form. Will impress. $1200. Adult Male Freckled monitor - 5 years old. Bought as a female but turned out to be a male, hence am selling. Very light colouration, would make...
  41. J

Can't Decide.....

Im looking to buy my next lizard, but im torn between a Mertens Water Monitor or a Lace Monitor. Ive done all my research on the two, i have the space to keep either, but i just cant decide which one to get? Can i get the pros and cons of each monitor and mabye that will help me decide......
  42. hector

wtb adult male mertens water monitor

Around 2 years of age
  43. M

Monitor ID: Varanus mertensi?

Hello everybody, is this a Varanus mertensi? I found it last year in a waterhole in the Litchfield NP, Northern Territory. Thanks in advance and best regards, Mario
  44. nadea

Mertens Water Monitor

Scientific Name Common Name Mertens water monitor Age 18mths Size Quantity Available Bred By General Description Great feeder. Needs new home, just don't have the room for him/her. GOING CHEAP NEED GONE ASAP PM FOR PHOTOS Location MELTON, VIC Willing to Freight? NOPE Contact...
  45. Heelssss

Northen Territorys - MUST DO!

What Are Northern Territorys - MUST DO! Hi all, Im off for a week to the top end and was hoping to get some advise on places to visit. Obviously has to include all sorts of reptiles. Thanks in advance Silv-e
  46. HaberfieldsReps

Kimberly Mertens, Boyd's, Freckled monitor and Marbled Velvets

Kimberly (WA) Mertens Water monitor juveniles: 2 months old, all feeding very well. Spectacular colours with lots of yellow. There are 7 available at $250 each. They are too young to sex at this age and are approximately 30cm total length at the moment. Boyd's Forest Dragons Juvenile Males: 2...
  47. kr0nick

Spencers vs lace monitors?

Hi all I have been reading a few old posts about keeping both these species and both crocdoc and serpent tounge have metioned that spencers monitors have a lesser arsenal of weaponary. But I don't quite understand could someone please explain the differences and pros and cons of each if you have...
  48. mike72

New Enclosures

Hi guys, I thought I would post a few photos of some enclosures I have been working on over the past few weeks. This first one is a Reptile One Serpens 200 enclosure from Totally Reptiles. I have decked it out with bits and pieces I have picked up from here and there. I have also created a...
  49. T

Up on the Arnhemland Plateau

Doing a bit of a stroll around the place last week I managed a few herp photos that might be of interest here. I'm not the best on ID but others will probably know. The only snake I managed to get, almost as thin as a boot lace, Furina ornata, Orange-naped Snake. An interesting turtle...
  50. chondro09

Mertens Water Monitor 2yr old female

Scientific Name Common Name mertens water monitor Age just over 2yrs Size around 3 and half foot Quantity Available 1 Bred By General Description Easy going monitor, able to be handled but does not enjoy it, feeds freely from hand and 95% sure she is a she, as my...
Back