varanus gouldii

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. C

Sandown racecourse

Hi, Just saw a large monitor lizard on the news. It was running around the track at sandown racecourse while raceday was being carried out! Big guy escaped being squished. Looked to be a large varanus gouldii or possibly varius. Anyone else see it? Was fearing for his safety but found it...
  2. M

Sand Monitor varanus flavirufus

General Description Hey guys im after a hatchling if not..then a young sand monitor ..the varanus flavirufus local. I am willing to drive for the right animal but id prefer to not buy from other states i am located around the sydney area. Best contact is via text Could u please text me the...
  3. B

Sand monitor care

Hey. Myself and my father have been thinking of a keeping a sand monitor as our next herp. I would love to see some of your enclosures and any tips and tricks you may have. I would also appreciate a full care sheet cause i cant seem to find one anywhere on the internet!:)
  4. Nero Egernia

Calming or "Taming" Monitor Lizards

This is a topic that I have relatively little experience in, and as a result I've been scouring many sources to satiate my curiosity. From what I have found there appears to be two schools of thought, "complete and constant exposure" to humans and their environment such as regular handling...
  5. E

Central Bearded Dragons - info and breeders?

Ok, so I have applied for my wildlife licence, I have the tank and a few accessories, and am now in the process of researching Central Beardies, feed and enclosure requirements (heat/light etc) and have begun looking for a suitable breeder. I do however have a few questions and thought some...
  6. I

Baby Argus Monitor Diet

Hey guys, Just checking in to make sure I'm not under feeding the little guy. Any tips would be appreciated. He's about 20cm tip to tail. Day 1 he gets 10 crickets dusted with Calcium. Day 2 he gets a velvet and 5 crickets dusted with Vitamins/Minerals. Repeat. Cheers.
  7. A

Juvenile Lace Monitor Sexing

Hi guys Recently got my first Lacey. He's around a month old and owner wasn't able to confirm sex. I'm hoping for male but any way to tell for sure at this point? Here's a couple pics if it helps. Cheers.
  8. Smittiferous

Sand monitor, possible MBD, what are my short-term options?

Hi all, Yesterday my little sandy was all fine and dandy, monkeying about the place as he usually does. Got home from work today to find the poor feller suffering serious lethargy and obvious muscle spasms. Searching here, and googling seems to point to MBD. List of observed symptoms are as...
  9. HAMISH_NOAH

Enclosure size???

I am looking at getting a sand monitor,and i have a spare 8ft by 2ft by 4ft from my scrubie, would this be a big enough enclosure?
  10. B

Grade C help

Hi i am a somewhat beginner reptile keeper and am a Canberran. If you have read the license page then you would know what I am talking about. i am currently Grade B but am looking ahead towards grade C. i just want to know what a good, nice, pretty easy to keep reptile is i have no particular...
  11. Glidergirl

Sand goanna

Hi. I have two sand goanna I am thinking of selling but I wanted to find out a couple of things first Are they both Flavirufus and how much would you expect to pay for them in particular the yellow one.? Are the yellow form less common in captivity? cheers
  12. RoryBreaker

Sand monitors in Alice Springs going the biff (abc news)

One of the better photograph series in a news article. http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2015/01/14/4162230.htm?site=&xml=4162230-mediarss.xml#bigpicturepos
  13. ssnakeboyy

Lace Monitor (pic heavy)

A lace Monitor decided to cruse through my yard today in Chandler. I have never seen any monitors around here before but have heard of stories of Lacies near the swimming plantation. I managed a few shots in the hour i was following him and now i want one :) here are a few shots (shame i dont...
  14. GeckPhotographer

Went Looking for Reptiles.

Didn't find many, which was a bit orchid. :/ Varanus gouldii by Stephen Mahony, on Flickr Cyanicula caerulea by Stephen Mahony, on Flickr Cyanicula caerulea by Stephen Mahony, on Flickr Acianthus collinus by Stephen Mahony, on Flickr Acianthus collinus by Stephen Mahony, on Flickr Glossodia...
  15. L

Correct globes?

Hey there, so I have been looking for 50w floodlight globes for my sand monitor enclosure but I'm struggling to find them, can someone let me know if they know we're to look. I tried bunning and masters but no luck. Or any other recommendations on globes that I should use.thanks
  16. L

Sand monitor growth

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what the growth rate of a sand monitor is and the size they get. I know they get around 140cm but how stocky do they get the google pics are ****. Thanks
  17. S

Indoor adult sand monitor enclosure size?

hi there, i was just wondering what would be the best measurements for an indoor enclosure for an adult sand monitor? i know that they need big areas and what not, but i do not want to keep him outside, so i just need to know how big i would have to make an indoor enclosure so that i wont have...
  18. L

Heated pond for varanus gouldii

Hey there so as my title says I'm looking at building a pond type thing inside my juvenile gouldii enclosure. I'm thinking around 700x700 box maybe 200 deep but with slate on one side so she can just chill if she doesn't wanna swim etc. I was wondering would a standard fish heater be sufficient...
  19. B

Are there too many snakes being bred?

We have a whole 6 stimsons for sale and I haven't sold any . I have noticed that a lot of the 'average looking snakes 'are not selling quickly on here . are there too many available ? are they too expensive ? are people on here looking for that 'special snake for their breeding program ? or...
  20. L

Monitor handling help

Hey there, I was just after some advice in regards to handling of monitors.background info- first monitor,have owned beardies and geckos , she is about 6 months old varanus gouldii and I have had her for about 4 weeks. I haven't attempted to hold her yet I wanted to get her comfortable with...
  21. GeckPhotographer

Kimberley Australia

So over most of January and February of this year I was staying in the southern Kimberley region of Western Australia. I was here to assist an honours student working on V. panoptes and while this took up most of each day I also managed to get around a little of the local station I was staying...
  22. L

Feeding help

Hey there, I recently purchased a 5 month old varanus gouldii and I was just wondering how much I should feed her and how often, I have owned other reptiles before but first monitor, I have read monitor books and care sheets I'm not stupid I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right for...
  23. GeckPhotographer

2 weeks in Central Australia.

So just after Christmas I spent several weeks in the arid inland around Alice Springs and Yulara. I managed to find a few herps to take pictures of and thought I'd post them up here. Unfortunately flickr has recently changed how images are copied into forum threads (Making it much harder) and...
  24. SteveNT

Not the End update.

Well, we're finally ready for the BIG BUCKET LIST LAP. I did three months chemo and radiation and my alien has shrunk out of sight and I feel good. So Sunday we head down the Centre. Car is fully set up. 12,000 lb winch, on board compressor and big stereo fitted since these pics. Note the...
  25. L

New Monitor enclosure project

Hey everyone, Im building an enclosure for a juvenile Varanus Gouldii and i thought id show you the progress. dimensions are 1900 L x 1600 H x 1100 W..I will post more pics when i progress
  26. moloch05

Broken Hill and Menindee, NSW. Mar 2014

These are photos from a quick trip out to Broken Hill and Menindee in northwestern New South Wales. These areas are quite a distance from Canberra where I am currently working. I clocked over 3500 kms of driving in 4 days so I spent much of my time behind the steering wheel. As always, though...
  27. L

Enclosure heating help

Hey guys and girls,ok so I have purchased a 4 month old varanus gouldii, I will be picking it upon around 2 weeks . I have built a melamine enclosure with glass sliders. The dimensions are 2000mm L x 1600mm H x 1200mm W and I'm not entirely sure on the amount heating lights I will need and what...
  28. T

Thinking about getting a Monitor - Questions...

Hey everyone, Was thinking about getting a Monitor and just wondering what's good for a beginner? I've done a bit of research and know a basking spot (or two-three) of 50-70c is required. Also that they eat pretty much anything (well, besides greens). Heard differing opinions about UV. Some...
  29. R

Outdoor Reptiles SA?

Hi everyone! I'm just curious to see a list of all herps you can keep outdoors all year long in Adelaide. So basically any Australian Reptiles that live in Adelaide or colder places. Here is what I have so far: (My information was sourced from AROD > Home | AROD.com.au so I apologize if it is a...
  30. M

Show off your Pride and Joy !!!

Lets see what you have !!!! All species and ages . Please give age and species , so we all know what it is :):D
  31. R

Wtb sand monitor

I am after a sand monitor for after chrismas would like a hachling if u have any or will have hatchlings soon text me on 0411840535 no calls must be on licence will pick up
  32. I

Monitor suggestions

Hi all, I have a 2.2 x 3.7m enclosure that will become available in the next few months as I move things around. Its outdoors but in a prime location as its a closed off area with floor to ceiling views from the lounge room and my study. The main prerequisite from the other half is I don't...
  33. S

Funny Shingleback Colour

I've had this photo saved onto my computer for a couple of months now but I keep forgetting to post it. Here it is. And for those who don't know already, albino shinglebacks do exist. I'm too lazy to google a picture, though :|. Anyways, what do you guys think is up with lizard?
  34. richoman_3

VIC Mallee herping !

Well Matt beat me to the APS post on this... but last is always better. After a riveting day of school Matt and I wasted no time (Maccas is not wasting time!) getting to Little Desert NP On arriving there we set up our camp, and the tempting calls of banjo frogs nearby lured us to their pond...
  35. Narelle

Advice needed on setting up outdoor aviary for reptiles in Brisbane please

Hi I am planning on converting my very large professionally built finch aviary into a reptile aviary. It is 3m x 3m x 3m and is absolutely mouse proof as it is secured with colorbond sheeting and snake wire. It has a concrete paved floor with drainage. After making some initial inquiries on...
  36. Tristis

Sand monitor

Scientific Name v. gouldii flavirufus Common Name sand monitor Age 2 Size 65cm Quantity Available 1 Bred By me General Description sand monitor (flavirufus) for sale, eats like a pig, about 65cm long. im after $400 ono as I need the cage space asap. pm me for...
  37. greeny1

Outback NSW

Recently I had the chance to head out to far western NSW for 2 weeks on a family holiday with my mum and dad and with a few suggestions of places to go to I managed to fill in a fair bit of herping in that time. Unfortunately the weather wasn't always in our favor with many windy days and cool...
  38. C

Sand Monitor (sub-adult male)

Scientific Name Varanus Gouldii Common Name Sand Monitor Age 18 months Size 800mm TL Quantity Available 1 General Description A suspected female has turned out to be a male (hemipene extrusion) & obviously isn't getting along with my other male so he has to go. Not quite full...
  39. E

Best dragon for handling and good temperament?

hey, buying new lizard and id like something that has a good temperament and doesnt mind being handled and can stay out of the cage without any problems. Something like an iguana would be ideal but obviously not a viable option. -likes being handled -largish -nice appearance (colour/crests etc)...
  40. calebs92

Id please ? :)

I caught this on christmas last year and i never got around to putting it up to find out what is was ? Thanks in advance :)
  41. Coppersimon

New Sand Monitor

Got this little beauty from the OEH it was caught by someone in their garage well out of its natural range and they couldn't find an owner. It has had the end of its tail bitten off by something but it is now healing well.
  42. C

Sand Monitor

Scientific Name Varanus Gouldii Common Name Sand Monitor Age 14 months Size Approx 400-450mm TL Quantity Available 1 Bred By Unsure General Description Unsure on sex but assume female due to head shape & no hemipene extrusion. Handles quite well for a monitor, has never...
  43. G

AHS June Meeting - Matthew Bonnett on the Madagascar Experience

Our June meeting Wednesday 26/06/2013 features a fantastic presentation by Matthew Bonnett on "The Madagascar Experinece" Matthew has been flown in from South Australia. Many of us have dreamed of visiting Madagascar and to discover the wonderful fauna it has to offer. This should be a great...
  44. Ranga

Behavioral patterns in certain monitors....

I am only fairly new to the whole monitor side of things so basically I just wanted some personal opinions on some monitors, so if you can tell me anything about either of the 4 below that would be great... I have basic knowledge from what you read on the net but that doesn't account for the...
  45. saximus

Quail Breeding Experiences?

I've read a few old threads about breeding these little guys and it looks simple enough. I breed my own rodents which I enjoy but this seems like an interesting new avenue to explore that hopefully shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to set up. So I'm just curious to find out what people's...
  46. Ranga

Expert Advice needed asap... Re: monitors and first time keeper.

Ok well basically I am looking at getting my first monitor, to get the experience to eventually be able to own my own bell phase Lacey. But in the past I have only kept blueys, beardeds, snakes, scorpions, turtles. Never monitors. Id like to be able to have a larger if not largest possible...
  47. B

Snag with Jungle enclosure.

Just got the heat lights and cages fitted and there's about 45-50 cm of space beneath them for basking. I figure Jungles like to bask up high but this enclosure just didn't turn out that way (I bought the shell already put together). It's 5 feet long by 2 wide by 3 high. I was thinking of...
  48. greggles91

Female Sand Monitor

Hi, Just after a female Central sand monitor Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus. please let me know if you have anything available. Regards, Greg
  49. richoman_3

Herp trip to Western NSW

me and a chicken made our way to Mungo National Park last week. Sitting in the car on the way got boring so we decided to open the windows and jump out in bendigo. With perfect landing we stumbled across this disgusting creature. Thick Tailed Gecko (Underwoodisaurus milii) by Nick Volpe, on...
  50. Chicken

Western NSW Herping

Hi everyone, just finished a trip up to Mungo national park for 3 days. It was about an 8 hour drive from melbourne, the first night we stopped in Hattah NP for 1 night, which is 1 hour south of Mildura. Overall it was a good experience, i went with Richoman_3 (nick) on here. Once again...
Back