austrelaps superbus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. NickGeee

Herping Central & SW Vic.

Havent made a herping thread in a while! Spent an arvo with afew mates up just North of Melbourne, where I was keen to see some Copperheads. We didnt find any, but we found plenty baby Little Whips!. Little whip snake (Parasuta flagellum) by Nick Gale, on Flickr Pretty cute! Little whip snake...
  2. NickGeee

Quick Peninsula Herp

Afew weekends ago I headed down to the lower Mornington Peninsula, about an hour SE of Melbournes CBD. I was keen to photograph some white-lipped snakes, and this time proved to finally be the day!. First I did a circuit of a canoe dam surrounded by dense reeds on a resort that was close by...
  3. Goldie74

Snake ID from Tumbarumba NSW

Hi, apologies for the poor picture quality. A friend recently showed me these pictures of a snake she photographed in a camp ground in Tumbarumba NSW. She said the snake had bright yellow ventral scales and a very distinct & defined red lateral stripe. 1m + in length. I only have Cogger to ID...
  4. cheekabee

Recent Herping around Victoria

I went for a short trip to far east Gippsland and ticked off a few cool species of frogs and managed to get a couple shots of some cool reptiles. Untitled by Akash Samuel Melbourne, on Flickr Victorian Smooth Froglet (Geocrinia victoriana) by Akash Samuel Melbourne, on Flickr Victorian Smooth...
  5. S

5 snakes in Australia - ID requested, please

Hi all, Last november, I've encountered several snakes. Could you please help me identify these creatures? I tried to catch them on camera. Not all of the pictures are showing the entire snake, but I hope it's clear enough to analyze. Myself I thought that these are 1. Eastern Brown, 2...
  6. Snake Catcher Victoria

Copperhead Snake Rescue

This pic was taken by warehouse manager Shane yesterday before I got there and unstuck the little copperhead. Austrelaps superbus in Sticky tape And a video of the procedure http://youtu.be/c3xGEEywdnk Cheers
  7. cheekabee

Recent 2013 herping

Just a few recent shots from 2013 before 2014 starts. Early this year I went to the mallee with Nick (richoman on this site), matt(python_owner) and a few other guys who aren't on this site (steve and dan). Bandy Bandy(Vermicella annulata) by Melbourne herping, on Flickr Dark-Spined Blind...
  8. cheekabee

Herping around Vic

Just a few herping shot from around vic Managed to get to the Mallee and had some success Ramphotyphlops bituberculatus by Melbourne herping, on Flickr Tree skink(Egernia saxtilis) by Melbourne herping, on Flickr Spotted Burrowing Skink(Lerista punctatovittata) by Melbourne herping, on...
  9. cheekabee

Herping around Vic

Just a few herping shot from around vic Managed to get to the Mallee and had some success Ramphotyphlops bituberculatus by Melbourne herping, on Flickr Tree skink(Egernia saxtilis) by Melbourne herping, on Flickr Spotted Burrowing Skink(Lerista punctatovittata) by Melbourne herping, on...
  10. Chicken

Recent herping (Pic heavy)

Hi everyone, heres just some of the herps i've found over the past 4-5 months. Start off with some snakes - Eastern small-eyed snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) by James Lowe Reptile, on Flickr Lowlands copperhead (Austrelaps superbus) by James Lowe Reptile, on Flickr Dwyer's snake (Parasuta...
  11. richoman_3

Snakes and more c/vic herps!

Start with the crap snakes! Little Whip Snake (Parausta flagellum) by Nick Volpe, on Flickr False start! heres the ugly one! Small Eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) by Nick Volpe, on Flickr Small Eyed Snake (Cryptophis nigrescens) by Nick Volpe, on Flickr A cooler Snake! Lowlands...
  12. cheekabee

More herping pics Melbourne

These are just a few herping pics some from a while ago that I haven't post on APS. I've posted these few pics of the little whip recently in another thread but thought I'd add these as well. Snakes Wild little whip snake eating marbled gecko by Melbourne herping, on Flickr Wild little...
  13. apprenticegnome

Is the use of latin names in posts always necessary?

I am not that versed in what I assume are Latin names for snakes and lizards and after reading replies to some posts over the last few years I felt it would be a good question. Why do some people tend to use Latin names when replying to posts that have been using common names, eg: rattling off 8...
  14. naivepom

Melbourne herping - Xmas '12

I spent 3 weeks in Melbourne over Christmas 2012 visiting the girlfriends family but managed to make my excuses and sneak out as much as possible. Sorry for the generic descriptions under the pictures but I just copy/pasted them from Flickr. I live in the UK and most of the people seeing these...
  15. MontyTheBredl

Snake ID - Venomous

So last night dad comes into my room at 2:30am and he has a snake in his hands with a head grip on it, he asks me what the hell it is. Thinking oh god somethings wrong with my snake (around the same size and colour) I looked at it and realised it was a venomous snake! I could tell by the head...
  16. TheJoyces

Please confirm

Hi Everyone This picture was taken during our down pour on Friday. Could you please let me know what it is? We were thinking it was a Taipan.... However I could be very wrong. Would like to know though. Thanks Steph
  17. R

Advice on baby Skink

So I was giving the dog a bath and noticed a large hole in the dirt. We have had quite a lot of Wolf spiders at the moment and the kids are a little worried about em so I put the hose down it to see if it would come out.... as you do! After a while, these little white things came up and I...
  18. C

Baby Red Belly Black or????????

Black with red belly, light redish band behind head , approx 30cm long. We are not in a commonly black snake area so finding this little one was fasinating. The kids had one earlier and by the time I got to them it had taken off for safety. Hubby found this one (possibly the same one the kids...
  19. M

Identification please

While holidaying in Victoria we came across this snake in a carpark along the Great Ocean Road. Can someone please ID it for me?
  20. caliherp

ignorant Californian

hello Aussie herp keepers. I was wondering about the legalities of keeping reptiles in Australia?
  21. Poggle

Reptile Photography

I have seen some beautiful photo's on here recently. I am getting into photography more and more and would love some tips of some one is willing to give them to me. Also if people could post osme more great pics of their snakes that would be great! First one is a RBB and second a pain in the...
  22. B

who is from tassie?& does anybody have pics of lowlands copperhead in enclosures? :)

just curious,,, who on Aussie pythons is from Tasmania? cant seem to find that many :cry: and anyone who has or had lowlands copperheads & or tiger snakes feel free to post up some pics of them in their enclosures or wherever the pics are taken just want to see what kind of set ups people...
  23. B

who is from tassie?& does anybody have pics of lowlands copperhead in enclosures? :)

just curious,,, who on Aussie pythons is from Tasmania? cant seem to find that many :cry: and anyone who has or had lowlands copperheads & or tiger snakes feel free to post up some pics of them in their enclosures or wherever the pics are taken just want to see what kind of set ups people have...
  24. Tassie97

New Rankinia diemensis

:D classic mnt drag basking position :) he is a cool lil fella
  25. N

Austrelaps superbus heater ?

Hi, I just get a copperhead a week ago and I seen a lot of people doesn't heat them. I made the choice heat him with a heatmap, the snake have access to a 28~30c hot side and a 17~20 cold side. And apparently the my snake like the heater because he probably spend more 60% of his day on it...
  26. Tassie97

NEW Hyper? Blotched Bluey!

hello got this bluey removed about 23 ticks but still a few more isnt she an interesting colour is she a stage of hyper? het maybe? and is it a boy or a girl thanks :) I can keep her cause i have a Tasmanian herp permit (just for all the APS experts)
  27. W

Found this.

Found this little guy on the road at the prom in vic:)
  28. Tassie97

Laws?

Hi this is for school do you think the Tasmanian reptile laws should be as follows? Agamidae (Dragons) Rankinia diemensis (Mountain Dragon) Scincidae (Skinks) Acritoscincus duperreyi (Three-lined Skink) Cyclodomorphus casuarinae (She-oak Skink) (endemic) Egernia whitii (White's Skink)...
  29. cement

Some ID fun for the newies.

I thought I'd have some fun and post some shots of a snake i recently caught and see who can ID it first. For the newbs, so you hard core seasoned herps with venom in your veins keep it to yourself eh! ok first photo will put another one up tomorrow!
  30. L

First Elapid

Yeah. This topic has been done to death. I get that. But I am getting my first elapid now my licence has come through. This is coming from a guy who has had plenty of colourbrids and a few rattlers in europe, has posted a lot of silly things, got really embarassed and has come back to the...
  31. N

i'm looking for breeder

hello, do you know some tasmanian breeder ? i come from france and i can't find tasmanian reptiles breeder on the net. thank you for your help
  32. woosang

**Chuckle** I got busted with new pets

This week has seen three new snakes in my house. TWO of which my poor husband did not know about until I forgot and told him. (He is away) He didn't stop laughing... Hmmm Anyway I has Alice the Woma for my little Sid.. now I have a pair.. A yet unnamed Splotched Python Very very...
  33. SouthSydney

Female Ven Keepers?

Ok, so I was talking to a mate of mine and flicking through the elapid thread, and it got me wondering, how many female ven keepers are actually out there? That actually own them on their license and not just their other halves owning them etc...? And got into keeping hots, on their own accord...
  34. redbellybite

Interesting ...

I found it interesting in what type of anti vens are used for different species .... Immunotype Treatment of snakebite in a clinical setting depends in part on the immunotype to which the speces belongs. The Snake Venom Detection Kit (SVDK) helps with determining this information...
  35. $NaKe PiMp

Copperhead Husbandry

hey who out there is keeping copperheads in there collection?? and how long you been keeping them?? i would like to gather some information on this beautiful species and both lowlands and highlands of corse
  36. slip_phreak

Snake ID

Hey guys, Some of my mates came across this fella while hunting in the Vulcan Forest South of Oberon. Any ideas?
  37. beatlloydy

Snakehandler course

Hi all, Over the weekend a group of 8 including myself attended a Venomous Snakehandling course run by Sean from Snakehandler.Participants ranged from complete novices like myself to post a grad research student as well as those from pest control and mining industries. The course was well run...
  38. MasterZ

poisonous snakes

Does anybody keep poisonous snakes..... would love to see some pics.:D Thanks Zach
  39. naledge

How to convince my mum to let me get a snake.

I'm sure a few of you have ran into this problem before. She's never liked snakes and a few years ago said there would never bee one in the house. She said that about lizards too, I've had four of them and she's now in love with them haha. I need some tips to push her over the line. I've...
  40. jesse2000

what was your 1st snake

hello evreyone i would like to now what was evreyones first snake and if you dont have it no more just pick a snake mine was a bredli but now ive got a childreni ok.:D:D:D
  41. Bec137

How many Monty's?

Just a thought, how many people out there have named their snakes Monty? It took me over a year to choose a name for him. He was known as 'my snake' ... sad huh. I thought I was being all original and funny, then it turns out another friend of mine has a Monty too, and I just read someone on...
  42. Razon

Tiger snake shed problem please read

as with most people when they get there first snake they make mistakes, mine was with sticky tape -_- my baby tiger snake decided to get cheeky and escape from the enclosure only to find himself stuck on some heavy-heavy duty tape...after that little drama and a bit of scale damage (only about 3...
  43. colooch

top 10 most dangerous snakes

I was recently having a discussion with mate about the top 10 most dangerous snakes in the world, he does not think Australia is home to more than half of the top10. so can anyone name the top 10 most dangerous snakes in the world?
  44. coastal-shagg

elapids in display enclosures

is it possible to have elapids and other venemous reptiles in display enclosures in say a living room of your house? like you would see in a zoo or something ? thanks in advance. cheers
  45. Inlandtaipan078

austrelaps superbus pics

Had the pleasure of releasing this little buity this morning nice catch baz;)
  46. elapid@

lowland copperheads austrelaps superbus species list?

Today i got my return import license that was approved , my application was for 2 (austrelaps superbus) , they changed my import license to 2 austrelaps ramsayi , i gave them a call about this as i thought they had made a computer error , and did not want something listed on my fauna record...
  47. paleoherp

Elapid Albino

I was looking though an old herp book of mine by Peter Mirtschin and Rickard Davis 1986 edition and was admiring the Albino Tiger and was wondering, are there many Albino Elapids in private collections. I have managed to scan a photo of the Albino Tiger in my book but would love to see pics if...
  48. herptrader

Les Williams died

I heard today that Melbourne Herper Les Williams passed away. He had been ill with cancer for quite a while. He was a member of APS but I don't recall his user name. He bought a python and enclosure from us a number of years ago... and then proceeded to name the Python "Juda" after my wife...
  49. J

Eat insects?

I was just curious has anyone ever had juvenile pythons eat insects (like crickets)?? I have read some small species of snakes will eat insects but they are from American pages, just wanting to know what the go is here in Oz! Any input would be helpful. Ta
  50. cracksinthepitch

What Snake are you?

What type of snake best describes you and your personality, your features etc etc I'll start- im not deadly so not a elapid. -Could be a colubrid but they are too long and slender. -Im grumpy,short tempered and straight to the point. I think im a snappy Jungle python.!!!!!!!!!:D
Back