hoplocephalus bungaroides

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Hoplo

Stephens, paleys and broadies, .. Hops!

Hoplo appreciation thread! lets make it as big as the old elapid thread . post your captive or wild Hoplo pics! - - - Updated - - - surely someone has something to share
  2. vampstorso

Show us your Elapids!

I think these beauties certainly need their own dedicated thread for everyone to centrally drool over :P So show us those beauties!
  3. RoryBreaker

Senator pushes for Quolls to replace cats as pets

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-18/leyonhjelm-pushes-for-quolls-to-replace-cats-as-pets/6329674 This Senator has said some crazy stuff in the recent past but this might be the first elected representative to say this sort of thing publicly. "He cited examples overseas of sugar gliders and...
  4. jordanmulder

This seasons Hauls (Pic heavy)

So I thought I'd post a thread sharing some of my photo's from this years sightings. I've been able to find a whole heap of new species for me in my local area, a rather broad definition of the word 'local' too. I will start with reptiles from the newcastle-central coast vicinity... Red belly...
  5. I

This guy's living in my roof

Moved to a semi rural property last year and loving the wildlife around here. Port Stephens Area NSW. Saw this guy at the base of a tree just outside my living room a couple of nights ago. Not sure if he'd fallen out or not as I heard a thump and my cats freaked out. Looked like he'd just had a...
  6. D

Touring Australia

During the summer my band went on our 1st Australian Tour. In my spare time I met up with a few friends from interstate and did a days herping. Also, if you're into Metal, check out Eternal Rest. First we hit up Vic. After playing a sweet gig a mate of mine who recently went to FNQ with me...
  7. D

Help.....

Hi guys, my name is drew. My friends and i have been canyonning alot recently in the blue mountains and as a result have come across a lot of different snakes in and out of the canyons. We are trying to learn more about them so that we dont hurt them and they dont hurt us as sometimes a snake...
  8. mikey_mike

article: antivenom update

The current edition of Australian Prescriber has an excellent article on antivenom. It's available on the website as a PDF (untill the next edition is published). Independent information about drugs and therapeutics - Australian Prescriber Cheers
  9. Rocket

Regulated taking of wildlife.

Now, I don't know if this has been done before so forgive me if it has. Also, this is strictly an opinion-based thread so there is no need to get all "huffy and puffy" and cause a virtual riot. In light of recent... stories in regards to smuggling and illegal removal of herpetofauna from the...
  10. Levold

Removal of 'bush rocks' and 'beach rocks' in Victoria Question.

Hi, was wondering if anyone knew the legality of removing loose rocks from the sides of roads (not state or national park roads) and beaches in Victoria for reptile enclosures/outdoor pits? I know from reading on the web that it is illegal in NSW but cannot find anything relating to Victorian...
  11. Rattler

ID

I found this on the footpath this morning in the middle of sydney. Was under powerlines so i dont know if a bird had it and dropped it or where it came from. What the hell is it? Some sort of corn snake?
  12. jonas

WTB Broad-headed snake

After Broad-headed snakes of any size. Contact via e-mail [email protected]
  13. GeckPhotographer

Some Herping in the Hunter Valley

Well I went out to a party in the Hunter Valley on Saturday and right next to the field the party was in was a beautiful hill that just looked ideal for reptiles. Winter and all, ever the opportunist I decided to go for a walk up it and see what I could find. It was sunny and warm even though...
  14. Reptile_Maniac

Gecko ID

Hi my name is James (Reptilemaniac), I found a strange looking gecko in my backyard recently.This was a huge surprise to me since I have never seen a gecko near my area let alone backyard before! Can you please help me identify it. Here is a few facts that might help you identify it. I live...
  15. U

Pale Headed Snake

hey all I was going through the forums and I came across this snake. But the details on the availability is a bit old [2007]. I was wondering if anyone knew someone that breeds them, or works with them? they are a really neat looking snake, needless to say.
  16. jack

vet trip for the deccw

had to take some animals to a vet to keep deccw happy. here are some images of PIT tagging, blood sampling and scale clipping
  17. W

The hobby & conservation

I didn't want to steal another thread (where do they came from) but the last few posts raised some questions and thoughts. What conservation value do captive reptiles have? They can never be released to the wild (not the ones we keep and breed anyway), so how are we contributing to...
  18. bobby2

What is YOUR most sought after snake...?

All hyped up from the expo still, i've been trying to construct my ideal managerie of snakes in my head... It really got me thinking - I want to know what the snake lover's ideal snake is. What would be your ultimate fantasy in snake or python ownership? (When i say fantasy i don't mean you...
  19. SouthSydney

Female Ven Keepers?

Ok, so I was talking to a mate of mine and flicking through the elapid thread, and it got me wondering, how many female ven keepers are actually out there? That actually own them on their license and not just their other halves owning them etc...? And got into keeping hots, on their own accord...
  20. Fantazmic

Hubby and I went Herping

Hubby and I went herping today for the first time. We had a lovely day We wanted to go somewhere where we would be guarenteed to see some snakes and other reptiles..... So...we went to Melbourne zoo. The sad thing was.....there wasnt as many snakes there as I thought there would be...
  21. News Bot

Venomous Snake 'Olympics' Held in Australia

Published On: 25-Mar-10 02:04 AM Source: Discovery News Author: Jennifer Viegas Venomous snake competitions were recently held in Australia, according to a new study that describes the events: sprint trials in a racetrack, tongue flicking, thrashing, biting when held, and wrapping around other...
  22. J

snake in our yard

I don't know if anyone can help me, but I want to try and find out what kind of snake we just saw in our yard. It is a little vague as I don't know much about snakes. I am in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney. The snake was slender, about 50cm long, a dark grey in colour and seemed to have...
  23. A

Herping in Kangaroo Valley, NSW south coast

Hi everyone, This will be my first post to this forum so hope it works! I've been out quite a bit recently looking for reptiles in my local area, Kangaroo Valley on the NSW south coast, about 150km south of Sydney. The weather has been great for reptiles the last few weeks, and I've noticed...
  24. herptrader

Hey misster, one false move and you're hisstory

Published: http://www.theage.com.au/national/hey-misster-one-false-move-and-youre-hisstory-20081227-75xd.html?page=-1 Source: The Age (on line) Typical warning for the summer season. Interestingly the pic would appear to be of a harmless and quite cute Diamond Python.
  25. ryanharvey1993

broad-headed snakes

just wondering who has seen wild broad headed snakes before, I would like to see photos of them. I know a few people have seen them. also would like to know was it active at night when you found it or near a crevice or under tin or rock. Ryan
  26. Shannon

Latest Photo Shoot - Venomous + Pythons

Hi everyone, Here are a few pics from my latest reptile photo shoot - Enjoy! Still heaps more to come soon when I get a chance to upload. © 2008 Shannon Plummer. All rights reserved. May not be reproduced without permission. Larger version viewable in my album. Dajarra Death Adder...
  27. Hickson

"Snakes of Australia" by Gerard Krefft

At the Andrew Isles Book’s stand at the Castle Hill Expo last weekend I purchased a copy of “The Snakes of Australia” by Gerard Krefft. Krefft was the Curator and Secretary of the Australian Museum from 1861 - 1874, and was one of Australia’s first herpetologists. Krefft’s Crowned Snake and...
  28. Jozz

New Tiger Snake :)

This is my latest edition, Ernie :) He's a Lake Alexandrina Tiger Snake, is 4 yrs old, and is very skinny at the moment. I don't actually know if he's a 'he', and if he's a she, it'll be 'Ernietta" I guess! haha :) Anyway, enjoy! Sorry about the photo quality! I'd love to see other people's...
  29. J

Hybrid on Herptrader

What do people think of the Stephens Banded x Broad-headed snake on Herptrader? Add no. 728-101
  30. natrix

Saw a Broad-Headed

Was up in the Syd Suburb of Warriewood visiting relatives yeasterday & saw a Broad-headed snake amongst some rocks around 5PM. At first I thought it was a young Diamond untill Itook a good look . The only other snakes I've seen in the Syd region have been a GTS & a Diamond , so it was quite a...
  31. Reptile_Boy

Disgrased!

ok well i went with my school to bulli tops for an excursion. it was a nice walk until i started noticing some things like 1. GRAFFITI - REALY TICKED ME OF 2.UN-NATURAL DESTRUCTION- PEOPLE DESTROING EVERY THING 3. THE POLUTION - RUBISH,WATER POLUTION, 4. ATTEMPTING TO KILL A TURTLE- KIDS...
  32. JasonL

Don't Spoil the Royal???

Just got back from a quick walk in the park ( Carloo Pools area) Thought I'd share some pics. I'll start with the standard destruction stuff that you always see "not a stone left unturned" so to speak.
  33. Nikki.

what i want in my collection !!!

well i want to have a garage full of reptiles and snakes - like the one on the thread - amazing ! just to note this will be develpoing very slowly so i can gradually have a collection in the future i want .... LIZARDS, MONITORS AND GECKOS - and cant forget the froggies knobtail bells phase...
  34. GTP.

Wtb

Broad Headed Snake (Hoplocephalus bungaroides) Pale Headed Snake (Hoplocephalus bitorquatus) if you have any for sale let me know any age thanks and must be a ok feeder
  35. tszue

endangered reptiles

Hey im doing a school report on endangered reptiles. if enyone knows eny endagered reptiles preferebly snakes could you please post a replie. thanks
  36. Hickson

Visit to Taronga

Yesterday MacHerps had a behind the scenes visit to the Taronga Reptile House (or Reptile World, as it is now known). Took my camera and have posted some of the pics in my gallery at http://www.aussiepythons.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=55292. Here's a few ........ Broadheaded Snake...
  37. cam

reptiles in the sutherland shire

i was wandering does anyone know where i would see any reptiles around the sutherland shire area ive only seen water skinks and a whip snake
  38. pugsly

Featherdale!

Guess I'll kick it off then, today some of the Sydney members of this site headed to Featherdale Wildlife Park, around 30 or so turned up and I must say it was fantastic! I had not been there before and was amazed by the amount of species of australian wildlife they had. It was a bird lovers...
  39. S

Southern Cross Reptiles comp. updates

Post from doc after judgement. All in all, that was a good effort. When you give out the scores could you point out that I rewarded points for picking the differences and for pointing out the exceptions to the rule as well (e.g. snakes have forked tongues and lizards don?t ? except goannas...
  40. S

Southern Cross Reptiles Comp.

Score after 1st round steve6610 1 JandC_Reptiles 1 craig.a.c 1 OuZo 2 soulweaver 2 staffsrule 1 Dicco 2 danep 1 munkee 1 newtosnakes 1 jonno 1 southy 1 junglemad 1 westaussie 1 What a great answers we have here. Impossible to judge fairly this first one. I marked all post...
  41. basketcase

wanted: broad-headed snake husbandry

I'm compiling a husbandry manual for the borad-headed snake (hoplocephalus bungaroides). I'm particularly interested in husbandry for gravid females. i know of a few people who have bred this species but with a high rate of still born young... please pm me if you can help, or if you like...
  42. Koula

Wild-caught Green Tree Pythons?

Well, I just got back from the local flea markets today (I'm now the proud owner of a nice Nepenthes ventricosa) and got talking herps with a guy buying a large 2nd-hand fishtank for his (licenced) childrens pythons... Anyhow, he tells me his dream herp to own is a GTP or 2 (yeah, he knows...
  43. Nephrurus

Broad Headed Snakes

Hey all, I've been reading up a bit on Broad-Headed Snakes Hoplocephalus bungaroides and am wondering where the progeny of the animals raped from the wild back in 1997 have gone. Here's a bit of the abstract of one paper i read (easy to copy and paste!). "H. bungaroides was stable over...
  44. moosenoose

Broad Headed Snakes

Hi Folks, I was looking through a endangered species listing and came across the Broad Headed Snake. The thing that stood out to me was they have the most striking head shape I?ve ever seen in any Australian Elapid. I tried to find a photo but none other than the picture in the book I was...
  45. Gregory

Collecting Wild Reptiles.

I'll start this off by saying this is not a personal attack on the members of APS that do this. I have an inherent disgust that people in WA ( and other states and territories) are able to buy a licence and can then go out and collect wild reptiles and sell them for what is obviously very...
  46. S

Pale-headed snakes

Just exploring the idea of getting some pale-heads. Anyone know what the general price is for these guys? Temperament in captivity? any husbandry info would be good how serious would a bite be? cheers
  47. S

APS Trivia

I will try to run trivia in forum now. every evening after 7 pm i will put question to our members in this forum. First correct answer will get the point. I know that people will be lucky to get the question first but it is just fun and please do not take this to seriously. First question...
Back