acanthophis antarcticus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. P

Snake locations around Perth

Hi all, Does anyone know where I can look around Perth to find the following species: Acanthophis antarcticus Demansia psammophis reticulata Echiopsis curta Elapognathus coronatus Morelia spilota imbricata Pseudechis australis Cheers, Forrest
  2. Rocket

2014 so far...

2014 has been reasonably good to me so far in regards to the herping trips I have been on. I just wanted to show some of them off... although I'm quite the dreadful photographer. Regardless, here they are. Lucasium damaeum - beaded gecko. Nephrurus deleani - Pernatty knob-tailed gecko...
  3. jordanmulder

This seasons Hauls (Pic heavy)

So I thought I'd post a thread sharing some of my photo's from this years sightings. I've been able to find a whole heap of new species for me in my local area, a rather broad definition of the word 'local' too. I will start with reptiles from the newcastle-central coast vicinity... Red belly...
  4. AlexandreRoux

New in Brisbane, let's go herping !

Hi everybody, As I already said in my presentation message, I'm a french herper coming to Brisbane (yes I'm gonna live there one year long) ! I don't know Australia, and I don't know Australian species that's why I'm looking for some people who can come or invite me to come on the field next to...
  5. saximus

Live vs Dead Food for Elapids

I was recently thinking about the pre-digestion role certain toxins in venom play when elapids kill their prey. That made me start thinking about the fact that almost everyone feeds dead things to their snakes which made me start to wonder how that affects their digestion. This may be me lacking...
  6. Barrett

This years herping so far

I've done a little bit of herping this year, in a few different locations. Jellybean pool, Blue mountains Vermicella annulata Phyllurus platurus Diplodactylus vittatus Litoria phyllochroa Toadlet, not 100% sure which one. Scenery Tunnel Gully Reserve, Blue Mountains I found...
  7. jordanmulder

Local herping

Some reptiles from around Newcastle and the hunter region. I don't like a lot of these photo's so excuse them I will eventually get some better shots of these reptiles... In addition to the species I have presented in this post I have also seen quite a few skinks... I haven't taken the time to...
  8. apprenticegnome

Is the use of latin names in posts always necessary?

I am not that versed in what I assume are Latin names for snakes and lizards and after reading replies to some posts over the last few years I felt it would be a good question. Why do some people tend to use Latin names when replying to posts that have been using common names, eg: rattling off 8...
  9. Delicateskink

Keeping RBBS - venom question

Hi, I am thinking about getting a Red-Bellied black snake. I have worked with them (and all other venomous snakes) before, but I have not owned one myself. I am really hands on with my reptiles, and I don't want a display snake. My only question regarding keeping one, is about their venom...
  10. clopo

A few recent pics from Mount Isa

A V. tristis from today. Freckeled Monitor by R. Francis, on Flickr Freckeled Monitor by R. Francis, on Flickr Litoria rubella found next to the lake the other day after having a fish. Desert Tree Frog by R. Francis, on Flickr Amphibolorous gilberti found the same night as the rubella...
  11. reptilerescue

Just a couple of pics

just thought i would put a couple of pics up
  12. P

Aussie Snakes

I thought I would share some photos of some of the snakes that I have encountered over the last couple of years whilst herping. Unfortunately I haven't managed to photograph everything that I have seen though.. yet there are still a lot of species left to tick off! Some of the pictures have...
  13. T

I like snakes, but .....

Last night when I got back from my evening walk something caught my eye under the house (it's an elevated house). So while I like snakes around the place, I'm a bit ambivalent about Deaf Adders.
  14. GeckPhotographer

Herping near Newcastle

So the Watagan Mountains is sorta my backyard (pretty much literally) and over the past couple weekends I've taken a good look at my backyard and what's in it, turns out some pretty cool stuff. Due to the reasons behind the look I didn't have time to photograph everything just the ones I see...
  15. G

AHS Meeting Wednesday 15/02/12 - Dr David Vella

Dr David Vella, Exotics Veterinarian will be speaking on veterinary experiences with reptiles, both pet and wildlife. Hope to see you there! Sydney Mechanics' School of Arts - Mitchell Theatre 280 Pitt Street Sydney, Australia. 7pm for a 7.30pm start GIRD
  16. mad_at_arms

ITT: We name herp species only using pictures

Thought I'd start off a fun thread for the weekend. As the title suggests in this thread using only pictures, we name herp species. (common or scientific names) Make the species association to the image as simple as the name of the thing in the image,(how it is spelt or how its pronounced)...
  17. geckoman1985

Reptile drawings byy geckoman1985

Reptile drawings by geckoman1985 hi guys i been doing some pencil drawing of some reptile and thought id show them to you. the drawing were all done free hand and were done on black paper using derwent pencils and prismacolor pencils.sorry for the bad image but thay were taken on i pad wil try...
  18. moloch05

Wild Queensland -- Nov 2011

I had to use lots of accumulated leave this year and I never like to waste it at home. So, after returning from Italy, I set off on a photography trip with a friend (Ted) and his son (Andrew) from Arizona. Ted and I explored the deserts in California and Mexico 40 years ago when we were in...
  19. L

Legality of preserving (taxidermy & cremation, etc.) licenced species?

Although all my current herps are very far from passing I'm incredibly curious regarding the current legalities of preserving (retaining) deceased wildlife? I'm a hobbyist taxidermist and know someone very skilled in the area who suggested mounting my snakes when they do pass (and my frozen...
  20. H

Death Adder Classification

I was wondering if someone here could set the record straight as far as classifying each locality of Death Adder with it's common and scientific name. From my understanding, the Dajarra Death Adder, for example, is actually a Desert Death Adder (Aconthophis pyrrhus). Which common and scientific...
  21. D

Continuation: Exporting Reptiles From Australia

There has to be a way to have reptiles legally exported from Australia because I know of a person here in the United States that has had reptiles exported from Australia and then imported into the United States within the last several years. I've seen pictures and video footage of at least one...
  22. The Devil

A tempory Australian

I think the pics tell the story. I had no problem staying on the right side of the camera....
  23. D

Sunshine Coast Reptile Meeting - Thursday 27th of January

Where? Coolum Beach Hotel When? 7pm Thursday 27th of Jan What? In this meeting, Matt (-Matt-) and I will be doing a presentation on our recent herping trip throughout the Northern Territory and Queensland, photographing some 140 species of reptiles and amphibians. This meeting we will only be...
  24. B

adders with no scales

Did anyone see the totally wild program this afternoon? They had some death adders that were born without scales. Very unusual looking. Has this been reported in any other species? cheers Ben
  25. grahamh

Herpetofauna V33 No. 1

For those of you that don't get Herpetofauna, the latest edition just came through my letter box. There are a couple of interesting articles. 1. Incubation of Lace Monitor Eggs - by Ray Hoser 2. A record of scaleless Death Adders - by Eric Vanderduys there's a picture on the cover of the...
Back