4 year old coastal carpet python not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arinxon

Reaction score
hello!!

so i have a just over 4 year old coastal carpet python who’s hasn’t eaten for just under 3 months now. she’s always been a great eater and has only ever refused food for short periods at a time mostly when coming into shed.

she’s still super active, drinking water and going between hides normally and acting normally but is just straight up refusing food and it’s starting to worry me a bit.

thinking of taking her to the vet as soon as i can but seeing if i can get any thoughts in the matter first so i don’t stress out as much.

i know they can refuse food when it’s cold and it’s freezing at the moment in SA but she’s never gone this long without food. her temps are all the same, i haven’t changed anything within her tank other then it needing a deep clean? i’ve offered her her normal rats, smaller rats, different coloured heads and even quails but no interest at all other than sussing them out.

any help is truly appreciated, i love her to bits.

hello!!

so i have a just over 4 year old coastal carpet python who’s hasn’t eaten for just under 3 months now. she’s always been a great eater and has only ever refused food for short periods at a time mostly when coming into shed.

she’s still super active, drinking water and going between hides normally and acting normally but is just straight up refusing food and it’s starting to worry me a bit.

thinking of taking her to the vet as soon as i can but seeing if i can get any thoughts in the matter first so i don’t stress out as much.

i know they can refuse food when it’s cold and it’s freezing at the moment in SA but she’s never gone this long without food. her temps are all the same, i haven’t changed anything within her tank other then it needing a deep clean? i’ve offered her her normal rats, smaller rats, different coloured heads and even quails but no interest at all other than sussing them out.

any help is truly appreciated, i love her to bits.
IMG_3961.jpeg

this is her 2 months after eating

Attachments

• IMG_3880.jpeg
    IMG_3880.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • filtered-0E09FC2B-6F92-4EED-B370-AA0D2B575F56.mp4
    5.2 MB
Since when is any Carpet Python 'super active' unless it's on fire or something?

If you have a female Carpet Python which is going crazy with constant rapid movement, that's a bigger worry than not feeding.

What does 'super active' mean? It can't actually mean super active. You say it's acting normally. 'Super activity' isn't normal behaviour for a Carpet Python.

Anyway, it's literally the middle of winter. Worrying about an adult Carpet Python not feeding when it's "freezing at the moment" is like worrying about a person not having eaten for an hour at 2.37AM.

Since when is any Carpet Python 'super active' unless it's on fire or something?

If you have a female Carpet Python which is going crazy with constant rapid movement, that's a bigger worry than not feeding.

What does 'super active' mean? It can't actually mean super active. You say it's acting normally. 'Super activity' isn't normal behaviour for a Carpet Python.

Anyway, it's literally the middle of winter. Worrying about an adult Carpet Python not feeding when it's "freezing at the moment" is like worrying about a person not having eaten for an hour at 2.37AM.
i appreciate your response but there’s no need to be so passive aggressive about it!

i say super active because she’s not hiding in her hides and she looks like she’s hunting for food whenever she is out so maybe i’ve just used the wrong wording. i know they don’t eat when it’s cold but as i said in my post, this is the first time she’s gone THIS LONG without eating. usually it’s only been for a month max and again when she’s coming into shed.

sorry im concerned about my snake? came on here hoping to get some reassurance like other posts i’ve seen.

again, appreciate you responding but you really haven’t helped at all :))

mate it's pretty simple, not insulting you but it is winter. None of the snakes in my house are eating now, some haven't eaten since April and most won't eat till September, so nothing to worry about

Still puzzled at the use of the term 'super active' (which would be a severe concern) and I hope she's not actually actively moving around most of the time (the term 'super active' literally indicates there is a huge problem), but anyway, not eating for 4 months is completely normal and 6 months isn't weird or concerning. A very high level of activity is very concerning and cause for taking urgent action, but I'm guessing this isn't actually the case.

I usually feed adult Carpet Pythons about 6-8 times per year, I'd usually give them their last feed around April or maybe early May, and not offer again until about September, so around 5 months.

Latest posts

Back