BHP, Children's and Jungle all refusing food

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beehand

Reaction score
I live on the coast of NSW, and I have a childrens python + a jungle python, both aged about 1.5 years old. In summer they ate no problem (was feeding them once a week roughly), and my childrens was especially active. Recently the childrens has been super docile, hiding a lot, and has refused food, as well as my jungle. The childrens hasnt eaten in about a fortnight. I just tried to feed them again this morning and they both refused, so now its been a week for the jungle. there has been a considerable cold snap, and my house is pretty old so it gets quite cold/poorly insulated. I have turned up the thermostat slightly for their heat mats to 35 (it was at 32 during summer), and have ordered an IR thermometer gun on ebay which is coming so i can double check the actual substrate temps and adjust if necessary.

My housemate has a BHP which is ~5 yrs old and yesterday refused to eat their rat (they feed them once a month roughly). I'm a first time snake owner and this is my first winter with my guys. Is it just the cold snap affecting all the snakes in my house and making them not want to eat? I know some adults can go a while without food, but I worry about my guys because they are still quite young and am unsure of how long they can go without food.

Would appreciate some advice or reassurance

Winter is coming and they go off their food, it's nothing to worry about. They won't go into brumation but will come out occasionally to bask.
Probably won't eat till September and that is fine, so don't panic

I forgot to add make sure there is water available during winter

I don't even try and feed the Murray Darlings over Winter anymore.

They're 12. So big enough to get through fine without any issues.

I do still change their water regularly though.

The Rosenbergi is a different story as he is only 9.5 months old.

Thankfully he is still eating fine despite the cooler temperatures.

Frilly is around 2. He's finally eating Roaches again after who knows how long.

Not sure why. Nothing has changed with his enclosure of temperatures.

I don't even try and feed the Murray Darlings over Winter anymore.

They're 12. So big enough to get through fine without any issues.

I do still change their water regularly though.

The Rosenbergi is a different story as he is only 9.5 months old.

Thankfully he is still eating fine despite the cooler temperatures.

Frilly is around 2. He's finally eating Roaches again after who knows how long.

Not sure why. Nothing has changed with his enclosure of temperatures.
Frillies are temperamental little ****s, move a branch and they sulk , try a different waterbowl and they sulk, replace a heat lamp and they sulk. Makes you wonder how they survive in nature where there is no permanence

Frillies are temperamental little ****s, move a branch and they sulk , try a different waterbowl and they sulk, replace a heat lamp and they sulk. Makes you wonder how they survive in nature where there is no permanence
Lol yeah. I have noticed that. I'm just glad he finally got over whatever was causing him to go off of them.

Latest posts

Back