Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 56651

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have recently purchased an approximately 6 month old Northern blue tongued lizard (Tiliqua scincoides intermedia) and have been doing a bit of research regarding canned dog/cat food as a protein source. I am to mix up the protein sources of course but it terms of cat food, is fish and kelp ok for blue tongues? I have read that cat food is a touch better for blue tongues under 8 months old because of the higher protein content and was recommended this brand (dog or cat) because it contained high quality meat products, no grain or fillers and a good dose of vitamin supplements:

https://ziwipets.com/collections/canned-wet-cat-food

https://ziwipets.com/collections/wet-canned-dog-food

The ingredients seem good, except for some salt, kelp and seafood (mussels and fish) that I am not too sure about to include in my blue tongue's diet (in addition to veggies and other proteins)

The dietary requirements of all Tiliqua are pretty much the same. They're the garbage guts generalist opportunists of the reptile world. mussels and fish won't hurt them, kelp won't hurt them, I doubt there's enough salt in there to hurt them.

If you think the protein content is too high you can give them some low protein feed (fresh vegetables etc) in addition to the cat feed, which will be good for them - fresh foods are always good. But they're very versatile, much like humans (another extreme generalist feeder) which can survive perfectly healthily on a diet of nothing but meat, or a diet of mostly plants, or if the plants are artifically processed etc, an entirely plant-based diet, with wildly varying dietary protein percentage being okay.

The dietary requirements of all Tiliqua are pretty much the same. They're the garbage guts generalist opportunists of the reptile world. mussels and fish won't hurt them, kelp won't hurt them, I doubt there's enough salt in there to hurt them.

If you think the protein content is too high you can give them some low protein feed (fresh vegetables etc) in addition to the cat feed, which will be good for them - fresh foods are always good. But they're very versatile, much like humans (another extreme generalist feeder) which can survive perfectly healthily on a diet of nothing but meat, or a diet of mostly plants, or if the plants are artifically processed etc, an entirely plant-based diet, with wildly varying dietary protein percentage being okay.
Thank you!
Likely I will mix in some of these foods with other meats and veg too. Today she's been offered canned snails with shredded broccoli and carrot but she's in sulking mode under a log as she's just come home haha. Hopefully eats soon!

Latest posts

Back