Moving soon! Did not disclose snake on housing application

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MangoPie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey there! It's been awhile since I used this forum (still have my Bredli's baby pic as my profile. He's SO much bigger now haha).

I've found myself in a bit of a pickle and wanted to see if I could get some advice.

So i've finally secured my first rental housing, but I did not disclose that I had a snake on my application (5yr old Bredli). My dad was adamant that I'd never get an apartment if I did, so I had chosen to keep him off (silly decision, I know). Now that I've been accepted, I'm trying to figure out what the best course of action is.

I really do want to keep my snake, but I don't want to get into any hot water either.
I live in the ACT where landlords cannot refuse a pet without a good reason, so my initial idea was to sell and/or loan him to someone and then eventually take him back as a new pet.

Maybe it would be easier to simply come clean about owning him. My enclosure is connected to my blue tounge's enclosure (who has been approved by the tenant), so it's not like any extra space would be taken up by keeping him.

I am simply unsure of how much of a deterrent a snake would be for the tenant. I think snake owners know that they are quiet and don't smell and/or cause a mess, but there's still a lot of stigma out there about snakes.

Otherwise, I want to do the right thing. It would be hard but perhaps it would be best to sell him outright too.

I do feel a bit silly and bad for putting myself in this position, but right now I just need to focus on working out a plan. I want the best for my bredli, so as long as he's in a safe and caring home, I'll be happy.

your best bet would be to let a friend or family member hold it at their premise, and then ask your landlord if you can get a snake..

I definitely would NOT say "i have a snake, but i forgot to disclose it"

your best bet would be to let a friend or family member hold it at their premise, and then ask your landlord if you can get a snake..

I definitely would NOT say "i have a snake, but i forgot to disclose it"

Noted! I realized I could just leave him at my parents place for awhile as its close by and then sort things out later.
Just gotta figure out how soon is too soon to ask! šŸ˜‚

Latest posts

Back