Very cold on cool end + enclosure advice? (Location: Melbourne)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eliseypeesey

Reaction score
hello! Winter in melbourne is extremely cold at the moment and im wondering how other victorians are able to keep the correct temps for their snakes? the basking spot for my snake is 33-34C and thats where he stays most of the time. but the cool side gets as low as 16C which i know is way too cold. I still have a gradient in my enclosure though where there are temps of 25C but what do i do about the extremely cold side?
For heating, i am using a 7w heat mat with a ceramic tile on top. I'll cover the enclosure with a blanket to try and insulate but is there more I can do?

My snake has been eating fine until the colder weather kicked in (last feed was nearly 2 months ago) and sheds have always been in one piece.

On top of that, I have attached pictures of my current enclosure set up. Any suggestions to improve? is a tub okay?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 12.54.04 pm.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 12.54.04 pm.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 12.54.12 pm.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 12.54.12 pm.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
16 at the cold end in winter isn't an issue. At all.

If you're going to ask for help about a Stimson's Python, you'll usually get a better response by saying 'Stimson's Python' rather than 'snake'. For some snakes it would be a problem. For others it wouldn't be cold enough.

Stimson's Pythons can be found actively foraging in summer at around 20 degrees. 16 degrees at the cold end in winter isn't anywhere near the realm of concern, let alone 'way too cold'. They naturally have access to sub zero temperatures in winter. Not that they'd ever choose to experience that, but being aware that it's an option in their environment isn't a problem.

Latest posts

Back