Heat Lamp Blew, Alternatives till Monday?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob_V

Reaction score
Hello,

As I stated in the title, my heat lamp blew in my Darwin CPs (About 10 months old) enclosure. I have no way of getting a new one until Monday, Tuesday the latest. His tank has already dropped a few degrees and I have no idea what I can do to keep him warm.
I have read online that this has happened to people and they padded the inside enclosure with towels. Does this work or is there something better I can do? I have another snake enclosure with another python in it already, could I put a divider in and put him in there temporarily?

Thanks, Jacob.

Could you put in an ordinary household light globe for now? If it's just a few days, I wouldn't worry too much (unless you've just fed him) but covering the enclosure (especially at night with a blanket/doona etc will keep the cold out) though it isn't freezing weather at the moment.

As long as he has a snug hide, he will be okay and probably just curl up in there till the heat is back on.

I wouldn't house him with the other snake (even with a divider).

You could always use a heat pack/hot water bottle overnight (covered with a towel so they cant burn themselves) if you are really worried, but snakes will survive a few days without heat just fine. (think of when they get sold interstate, they usually have no heat for the better part of a day or when there is power outages)

Probably a good idea to have a spare heat lamp or two because they always seem to go at the worst times :D

Could you put in an ordinary household light globe for now? If it's just a few days, I wouldn't worry too much (unless you've just fed him) but covering the enclosure (especially at night with a blanket/doona etc will keep the cold out) though it isn't freezing weather at the moment.

As long as he has a snug hide, he will be okay and probably just curl up in there till the heat is back on.

I wouldn't house him with the other snake (even with a divider).

You could always use a heat pack/hot water bottle overnight (covered with a towel so they cant burn themselves) if you are really worried, but snakes will survive a few days without heat just fine. (think of when they get sold interstate, they usually have no heat for the better part of a day or when there is power outages)

Probably a good idea to have a spare heat lamp or two because they always seem to go at the worst times :D

Thanks a lot for getting back to me! There is currently a normal household light in there, and he does have a snug enclosure.
Yeah, that's not a bad idea, when I go in I may grab a couple. Its always better to have more than less really isn't it, haha. The temperature in the enclosure is currently 20'c. I will just place blankets and what not around it to keep more warmth in there. Thank you. :)

Depending on the type of globe you are using, you are better off buying the Philips globes from Bunnings; a lot cheaper. Or try a CHE next time; they tend to last longer than globes.

Not necessary to do anything except keep it out of draughts for a few days until you get a new one. Stop and think for a moment - what do snakes do in the wild when it gets cool for a few days? They just wait until the weather warms up again. The application of heat 24/7 365 days a year is an artificial factor in a snake's life. A few days cooling won't hurt in the least if you leave the animal alone, without disturbance, for the duration of the cool period.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back