albino blue tounge

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nico77

Reaction score
does anybody know how much roughly a albino blue tounge is worth to buy ?

Cheers nico

thanks . Do you need 2 albinos to get baby albinos? Whats the chance of getting albino young with 1 albino .

how much breeding would be involved to get more albinos? would you have to keep crossing the babies back over the albino till you get another albino ? and if you did get a pair of albinos would all the young then be albino .

cheers nico

do some research mate, ablino genetics.
it's been explained more times than there are albinos

albino blues have eye problems...i wouldnt want to own one.

"TWENTY B
it's been explained more times than there are albinos "

I am trying to research thats why i asked . I dont know any thing about genetics especialy lizards genetics . I did do a few searches and could only find for sale and wanted threads .

cheers nico

here are the probablitities

albino to albino all offspring will be albino

albino to normal all will carry the albino gene but not show it, called het for albino

het for albino to het for albino 1 out of four will be albino and 3 out of four will be 66% het for albino

het for albino to albino 1 out of 2 will be albino and 1 out of 2 will be het for albino

het for albino to normal all offspring will be 50% het for albino

hope this helps

Last edited:

albino to normal all will carry the albino gene but not show it, called het for albino

het for albino to het for albino 1 out of four will be albino and 3 out of four will be 66% het for albino

het for albino to albino 1 out of 2 will be albino and 1 out of 2 will be het for albino

hope this helps

Thanks heaps for the info , that is pretty much what i was after .

cheers nico

hey nico. i have albino blueys and they can have eye problems, not many of them though. i do have one juvenile that seems to be blind in one eye. i also have blacks, they also have issues, but with aggression instead. they like to munch on each other. dont be deterred by the minor issues. they are awesome critters. i try and only breed animals that i know are 100% healthy to try and breed out the imperfections. as for price wise its around $1000 (maybe a bit more) for juveniles. hope this helps

it's been explained more times than there are albinos

Top advice!!!

albino blues have eye problems...i wouldnt want to own one.

Don't buy one then. i know a few with albino blueys and haven't heard of this being a problem.

hey nico. i have albino blueys and they can have eye problems, not many of them though. i do have one juvenile that seems to be blind in one eye. i also have blacks, they also have issues, but with aggression instead. they like to munch on each other. dont be deterred by the minor issues. they are awesome critters.

i'm curious how many you have had problems with. and also how much uv light are you providing them with?
my experience with blue tongues is they ALL like to have a munch on each other.
Not having a go at you at all snakeman, but your comparisons of albino and melanistics having eye and aggresion issues are compared to how many blue tongues and how many morphs vs normals?

Ozzie python. i have about 60 or 70 bluetongues of various locales etc. i have a few albinos and have only had the one with eye problems. its been to the vet and the eye is non responsive to light, so its blind, so the vet tells me. they get maybe 2 hours Uv a day, but dont seem to like it and hide most of the time. as for the hypers, they are very aggressive (even the hets) out of the 3 blacks and 4 100% hets i have. 4 of them have had their tails munched off (3 of them before i got them) i have had other people who keep them tell me similar stories. i also have northerns, westerns, easterns (QLD,NSW,VIC) and centralians. and i havent had too many aggression issues with any of these except the northerns sometimes. however i do try to make sure i only keep one male per pit at a time. anything else you want to know? cheers

Don't all albino animals have mutated genes? So really, if you want a healthy, good bluie, you shouldn't be breeding them to get albinos, and the more you inbreed them, the worse for the animal.

hope this helps

I will just modify this a bit because if you don't already understand the topic a bit, your explanation can be a little misleading.

Lets refer to albino as A-homozygous (2 albino genes), one albino + one normal gene as heterozygous (look 'phenotypically' like normal), and normal as N-homozygous (2 normal genes) :

1. Albino to albino all offspring will be A-homozygous

2. Albino to normal all will be heterozygous

3. Het for albino to het for albino 25% chance of A-homozygous, 50% chance of heterozygous, 25% chance of N-homozygous; if you are looking purely at the normal phenotypes once they are born they will have 67% chance of being heterozygous and 33% chance of N-homozygous

4. Het for albino to albino will have 50% chance of being A-homozygous and 50% chance of being heterozygous

5. Het for albino to normal all offspring will have 50% chance of being heterozygous or N-homozygous

6. Normal to normal all will be normal (barring a sporadic mutation)

When people refer to 100% het, the normal looking offspring came from 2. or 4. or they have had albino offspring; 66% or 67% het from 3.; 50% het from 5.

Last edited:
Wow thats alot of blue tongues!! Care to show pics of their pits?
Ozzie python. i have about 60 or 70 bluetongues of various locales etc. i have a few albinos and have only had the one with eye problems. its been to the vet and the eye is non responsive to light, so its blind, so the vet tells me. they get maybe 2 hours Uv a day, but dont seem to like it and hide most of the time. as for the hypers, they are very aggressive (even the hets) out of the 3 blacks and 4 100% hets i have. 4 of them have had their tails munched off (3 of them before i got them) i have had other people who keep them tell me similar stories. i also have northerns, westerns, easterns (QLD,NSW,VIC) and centralians. and i havent had too many aggression issues with any of these except the northerns sometimes. however i do try to make sure i only keep one male per pit at a time. anything else you want to know? cheers

Snakeman has about the same as i do and i keep them in these sort of pits.
P1070165.jpg

P1070127.jpg

i Have quite a number of these pits, some kept externally some kept internally depending on species and age.
cheers
Gary

Nico keep an eye out there should be a few albinos around this season and im sure you'll be able to pick up a deal on an albino and a 100% het, only problem is that you wont get a garanteed pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back