Bluey "treat" question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buffcoat

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I'd ask another "treat" question.

I heard that blueys like eggs, raw and hard boiled. I've looked and all my google-fu is coming up with is beardie and iguana diets and treats.

I know my bluey isn't a huge fan of blueberries, but he does like the occasional pinky mouse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I always get rid of the shell before feeding mine.
They will eat it mashed or not.

When I had mine he loved snails, with bigger ones I broke the shell first to make it easier. I have no research to back me up but I imagine the shells of snails is also good for them due to the calcium.

Sorry, I should have added not to use snails from a garden where there is any chance baits were used.

So far I've fed him a pretty varied diet. Like he would get in the wild. Greens and some mealies. He loves cat food in a can (low fat of course). I just never thought of eggs, lol.

Thanks for all the replies so far! Keep em coming if ya would!

Mine loves eggs, they are high in fat so it's a treat only thing. I only give mine about 1/3 of an egg if that, as s/he is a juvenile.

This is a direct copy/paste from a Bluey food chart of what the fat and calcium content is. I take no credit in creating this chart.
style="width: 500px"
|-
| Food
| Frequency
| Ca: P
| Calcium
| Fat
| Notes
|-
| Egg
| In Moderation
| 1:3.4
| Can be fed raw, boiled etc
|-

I remove the shell when feeding just egg, though when mixing in with the rest of my Blueys food, the eggshell remains. S/he eats the shell without worries, though they are only small pieces. I feed mine dog food instead of cat food, as cat food has added taurine.

If your Bluey has never had egg, I'm sure he will love it! :D

That chart is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so very much!!

And Boris thanks you as well!!
egumepe5.jpg

You're welcome, I found it to be an invaluable resource when looking for food items to feed my BTS. Boris looks like such a charmer. His eyes are gorgeous. :)

Mine love banana (given once a week) and boiled shredded chicken mince or bits of BBQ chicken breast shreds (once a week). Hardboiled and softboiled eggs (messy eaters) goes down a treat too.
Mealworms are a treat a few a few times a week - very high fat and bad Ca/P.
When in season - they get blackberries and strawberries too.

I give them medium - large silkworms daily .... they LOVE them. Along with crickets (I crush the crickets' heads to disable them) and a grated/processed veggie and greens mix.

Last edited:
They also love over ripe tomato, peas, dandelion flowers to a lesser degree,dandelion leaves. The leaves are rich in calcium. They say they contain more calcium than milk but I am not sure on what basis they make thay comparison.

If collecting your own snails, keep them for three to four days fed on green outer leaves of lettuce or other greens such as silver beet. Any that have ingested snail bait will die with the first day or so. most blueys love em,slugs as well.

Blue

They also love over ripe tomato, peas, dandelion flowers to a lesser degree,dandelion leaves. The leaves are rich in calcium. They say they contain more calcium than milk but I am not sure on what basis they make thay comparison.

If collecting your own snails, keep them for three to four days fed on green outer leaves of lettuce or other greens such as silver beet. Any that have ingested snail bait will die with the first day or so. most blueys love em,slugs as well.

Blue
Interesting, I get loads of slugs in my raised beds at night, but have been scared to collect them and give them to my skinks because I'm worried about that nasty communicable parasitic desease that they get by eating dog poos.
Have yours had any parasitic problems ?

Peas and raw beans (raw or cooked (unsalted off my dinerplate sometimes) are hit with mine too. BUT makes them pop off a lot (stinky silent kinds).

Have you considered *****ley pear pads (available in the USA) ?

Peas and raw beans (raw or cooked (unsalted off my dinerplate sometimes) are hit with mine too. BUT makes them pop off a lot (stinky silent kinds).

Have you considered *****ley pear pads (available in the USA) ?

Sorry I took so long getting back to here. Yes, we do have P-pears here. As a matter of fact, I hope to pick some up Sunday at a reptile show.

Thank you again for all your helpful information!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back