Camera selection reference

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitah

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just thought that it might be a good idea to start a thread about cameras that people can use as a ‘reference’ to maybe guide their decision when looking to buy a new camera. There’s always threads on them, so this may be able to help instead J

I think it would be best if everyone could list the features of their camera, and then include one image for each category (I know it’s hard to choose which pictures to use) to avoid making this thread TOO huge (not everyone has super speedy internet with unlimited downloads)..

Also, if you’re in the market to purchase a camera, just remember you don’t always need to spend thousands to take decent photos.

Camera specifications
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Brand + model;
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Type (budget point + shoot, higher quality point and shoot or digital SLR);
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Megapixels;
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Optical zoom (do not include digital zoom);
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Manual capabilities (if any, list them);
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Approximate age;
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Cost (when you purchased yours);
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Approximate age;
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Features (what you think are its strong points, features you thought were handy etc.);
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Other;

Photo examples. Please compress these
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Macro (please provide approximate size of subject/object being photographed)
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Night time
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Outdoors/scenery
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]“Colourful” (Gives on example of how the camera handles colours)
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Motion (please give an approximate speed at which the subject/object was moving, as well as lighting details (i.e. indoors, outdoors, sunny, cloudy etc)
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]One more good representative photo from any category (please provide some details, e.g. Macro at night)

Brand + model; fuji finepix S5700
Type; higher quality point and shoot
Megapixels; 7.1MP
Optical zoom; 10x
Manual; shutter speed, aperture, flash intensity and combinations of these (e.g. shutter + aperture)
Approximate age; Purchased July 2007
Cost; Think it was $380 or so. Later dropped to $288
Features
-Superb macro for a point and shoot (probably my favourite feature)
-Manual capabilities are excellent when you want to use them (I like to use them for waterfalls, night scenes, getting ‘ghost’ images etc.)
-Still pretty portable/easy to carry around (won’t fit in your pocket, but you don’t need a massive bag to carry things like lenses etc)
-Very durable
-Easy to use
-Still takes excellent shots in most circumstances just on the ‘auto’ setting
-The 10x optical zoom is great for wildlife and flighty animals, because you don’t need to get as close to get a good shot
-Also takes pretty good videos with sound
Other
-I would strongly recommend a similar model Fuji finepix who want a kind of ‘introduction’ to the digital SLR world, and those who want to take great pictures without spending thousands
-Great for most things, especially wildlife (zoom), macro (close ups of animals for fine details) and scenes where you want to manually adjust the shutter speed etc (can’t do this with many other point and shoots)
-SUPERB value for money I believe

Examples
Macro
- gecko was 60-70mm in length (tip of snout to tip of tail), taken indoors at night time
1-15.jpg

Nighttime
8-4.jpg

Outdoors/scenery
- light cloud cover
1-17.jpg

“Colourful”
Colour_by_xshadowxv.jpg

Motion
- was driving along and startled this roo, started driving slowly and took this shot- roo was going at full speed. Outdoors (obviously), no clouds present
2-17.jpg

One more good representative photo from any category
-Night time macro
8m.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks :) Got any pictures and details about your camera Gunny? Would be good to get as many examples and details about different cameras as possible. I know I like to see examples of pics a camera can take before forking out the cash for it :)

Camera specifications
-Brand + model; Cannon 5D
-Type (budget point + shoot, higher quality point and shoot or digital SLR); DSLR
-Megapixels; 12.5
-Optical zoom (do not include digital zoom); depends on the lens
-Manual capabilities (if any, list them); Where do you want me to start
-Approximate age; Mine is 1 year now
-Cost (when you purchased yours); $4000.00 for the body, lenses start at around $100 and go to $10,000+
-Features (what you think are its strong points, features you thought were handy etc.); Full-frame CMOS sensor offering 1:1 lens conversion and capturing detailed 12.8 megapixel images, High speed continuous shooting at 3 frames per second for up to 60 frames in a burst.

Note: This image is raw and has not been edited....yet

_MG_2964.jpg

Excellent idea xshadowx.
I have been researching cameras on and off, but because it just gets too confusing, my eyes glaze over and I lose interest!
Your Fuji looks like a good place to start, and I may even get one of those. Thanks!

Nice Thread, Really Helps me Shadow 8]. im almost def. getting the FinePix thankyou for helping me make my decision.

Camera specifications
-Brand + model; Olympus E30
-Type (budget point + shoot, higher quality point and shoot or digital SLR); DSLR
-Megapixels; 12.3
-Optical zoom (do not include digital zoom); My lenses range from 14mm - 1300mm
-Manual capabilities (if any, list them); Fully programmable - too many too list.
-Approximate age; 1 year
-Cost (when you purchased yours); $2200 + lenses (close to $5000 all up over the past 3 years)
-Features (what you think are its strong points, features you thought were handy etc.);
-Other;
There's too many to list here - the camera is perfect for the amateur and I'd say even the serious hardcore photographer. The Art Filters are the best I've seen and even put Photoshop to shame as they're all edited in camera if wanted. The raw photos still come out un-edited.

Some of the photos can be seen here at Art by Paul Davis - RedBubble

But for a taste....

Taken at the Cooktown Wharf
3847903-3-firefly-cooktown-wharf-queensland-australia.jpg

Taken at a sugar cane paddock near Bramston Beach
3715758-3-sweet-fields-sugar-cane-bramston-beach-queensland-australia.jpg

One of a few shots using the 1300mm lens pointed at the biggest object in the night sky - fully hand-held and no tricks!
3372618-2-moon-rise-6-july-2009.jpg

A simple macro shot using my favourite of all lenses - a Sigma 105mm Macro Lens
3297918-2-one-drop-is-all-it-takes.jpg

And of course you can't have a camera that doesn't help you take panorama shots :)
2921367-4-millaa-millaa-falls-queensland-australia.jpg

Last edited:
Camera specifications
-Brand + model;
Canon IXUS 95IS
-Type (budget point + shoot, higher quality point and shoot or digital SLR);
point and shoot sort of higher quality
-Megapixels;
10 megapixels
-Optical zoom (do not include digital zoom);
3x
-Manual capabilities (if any, list them);
flash over-ride; colours ie sepia b& w etc; white balance control; ISO
-Approximate age;
bought April 2009
-Cost (when you purchased yours);
$380
-Features (what you think are its strong points, features you thought were handy etc.);
tough camera! It has been dropped many times and is still living. Nice and compact - flat front which makes it easy to take anywhere and everywhere.
-Other;
The compact size of this camera and friends recommendation is what made me buy this camera. I also have a Fuji Fine Pix that I don't use anymore because it was too bulky to carry everywhere with me. Fine Pix is a good camera though but I just needed a more compact one to take everywhere. I've got my good one :D

Camera specifications
-Brand + model;
Nikon D90
-Type (budget point + shoot, higher quality point and shoot or digital SLR);
digital SLR
-Megapixels;
-Optical zoom (do not include digital zoom);
whatever lens I put on it
-Manual capabilities (if any, list them);
full manual over-ride capabilities - lots
-Approximate age;
couple of months
-Cost (when you purchased yours);
bought it with a couple of lenses, extended warranty(+2 years -> 3 years total) , remote control, extra battery, bag (laptop combo), 8 GB memory card $2400
movie function; nice body weight - not lightweight like some other models; good size LCD screen 3"; huge shutter speed range - 30 sec to 1/4000 sec - great for storm and sport photos; has a GPS option - I'm buying this ASAP :) wish I could have bought it before I went to the USA :(
-Other;
just love it and am slowly reading through the manual :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back