cleaning areas infected with calicivirus

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

animallove

Reaction score
hey everyone,
can you please give me a few ideas of what to use to clean and disinfect areas infected with calicivirus. ive used bleach to clean the cages, but what do i used for the lounge where the rabbits were sitting that wont bleach the lounge, and also on the lawn that isnt going to harm the rabbits when they eat it, will watering it help to atleast weaken it?

There is a product called Virkon that we used where I used to work (a PC2 facility breeding transgenic mice) that is great. It kills all known viruses according to its MSDS. No idea where you would get it outside of a research lab, but you could look around or ask at the vets. Once it is correctly made up in water it is safe on skin and our animals were exposed to varying amounts all the time as it was used to clean cages, cage tops, water bottles etc. We actually had a few animals that accidentally went swimming in it and they were fine. However, it is bright pink and can cause bleach like stains, though it doesn't contain chlorine bleach. Our animals also regularly ingested small amounts, so spraying the grass should be fine. Maybe get the loungeroom steam cleaned?

thanks, that's great. since i psoted this thread someone told me to steam clean, so im borrowing someones steam cleaner tomorrow and i plan on using it on as many places as i can that the rabbits have been. how long will i need to leave the steam cleaner in one area for for it to kill the virus? thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back