cockatiel avary

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laven

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi i was just wondering can a cockatiel go in an avary by its self i would spend 6+ hours in there and it would just be in there for about 3 months just to i train it and would it be hard to tame in there thanks

Me neighbour used to have a cockateil and it never shared an avery, it always lived by its self and it was fine. Great choice is bird, they are cute and can have great personalities. I am not expert on cockateils, but i did use to own a cockatoo, they need lots of time, and i wouldnt give it an avery too big or it may not be as easily socialized because it would alot more space to move around and get away from you rather then the face to face approach... i know that this was a problem with my cockatoo, but you still have to remember not to force yourself upon the bird or it may get scared and not want to come to you... it is just a little harder in a big cage...
Sorry if i made no sence... I hope that answered your question...
From Jess :]

yeah i know(isnt it hard) i actually have a cockatiel but its a real s@#$t i like it dont get me wrong she was a boy but became a girl when she layed an egg she loves my dad

Cockteils are great birds. They can be hand tamed relatively easily, but it will be harder in a big cage, as it will have less exposure to in. In a small cage in the house, it will get more used to people walking around it all the time. It is great for them to have room to get out and stretch their wings, but maybe it would be better to do this when it is a bit tamer? Otherwise to catch the bird up again in the avairy will probably require a net, and this could be very stressful for the bird, and possibly discourage it from getting close to people.
Cockateils are definetely better off on their own, or with other, larger parrtos. Anything small that you put in with them, they may tend to kill. We bred ringnecks, budgies, canaries, finches and quail, all together in a huge avairy, at various levels. We had cockateils in there too, but had to sell them, as they killed babies, kicked eggs out of nests, and bullied the other birds.
They make wonderful hand-tame pets though, but sometimes become very attached to one particular person. Has yours been hand-reared? It's often easier to tame them if it starts from birth.

hello laven if you would like in wynyard there is the north west bird club the funny thing is that my dad is the presedent of the club
i will pm you there website and they are based at the wynyard show grounds and will be there for the wynyard show it will be cool if i see you there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back