Convertment...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carinacat

Reaction score
36529_10151286798317368_1095309429_n.jpg

Hey there! I am looking at converting an old tv unit for some Boyds :) Was just wondering what people used to make their enclosures water proof? Also... would a water feature that the Boyds could swim in be a good idea or would that be too much water? Would love to see some setups for Boyds that other people have :)

I just went down to bunnings a got myself waterproof pond membrane. a couple coats of that worked well for me.

Most Pond membrane sealers are not designed for use with wood, it will make the wood more resistant to water but not completely seal it.
I would use marine grade varnish and then seal all the little gaps between the wood panels with some aquarium silicone.
What are the dimensions of the unit?

Ok thanks. The unit is approx 6ft high x 2ft deep x 4ft wide. It is a corner unit thou so its only 4ft wide for approx 1.5ft then gets smaller. Should i include a water feature in it?

If its for boyds you will need running water won't you?
I don't keep them, but I'm under the impression running water is preferred.

Am doing exactly what you're doing at the moment carinacat! I posted pics in the The boyds info sticky i think you saw...
I have a 6x3x2 that i am staining and waterproofing for a pair of Boydii. The marine grade varish stuff i bought is toxic, im now using Pondtite.
Keep an eye out in the Boyds Dragon thread, ill do an update shortly.

Great chicken! Would love to watch your progress and get ideas for my own :)

The marine grade varish stuff i bought is toxic, im now using Pondtite.
I have the bondall brand same as the pondtite, no problems.

- - - Updated - - -

How much of the unit will be enclosure?
Boyd's need a bit of vertical space.

I'd Rip out the top 2 cupboards and just convert the top and middle part. To be honest, dont do what i did and sand the whole whole bloody thing down and re-paint its a mess.
Just silicone the edges where the wood joins and give it a coat of clear pondtite.
You can then add a rock background or a Paper background, you know those laminated pictured backgrounds? The rainforest themed one.
Then just add some sort of drainage, big rocks, mesh then little rocks then coco-peat ontop, then just verticle branches and get some tracks in and glass too.
Good luck

You could get a good quality tub and cut out a hole to fit it into the floor and run the plumbing for a pump in the cupboard space underneath.

Yes i am going to use the middle section and the top. Im not wanting to cut the two top shelves completely out thou as i want a bit of strength still in it. A good quality tub sounds like the way to go... would be easily enough to clean then :) I want to sand the cabinet as the bottom part has white paint on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back